I remember..

Options

Replies

• ___Soundwave___
    ___Soundwave___ Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Working all the time in preparation for Y2K. Everyone worrying that all the computers were going to break...

Going out to a semi-formal ball on New Year's eve, lots of dancing. Several clubs and more dancing, and a great New Year's kiss.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Hating the new year because of a very life altering event in 1975-1976 change-over. For years I would fall into a miserable mental slump that was worsened by lack of sunshine. It used to really drag me down. So glad that period of my life corrected itself. So grateful to feel joy snd Hope with the season again
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,464 Member
    Options
    Working all the time in preparation for Y2K. Everyone worrying that all the computers were going to break...

A group of us were partying it up at one guy's house, half expecting the world to end due to Y2K. At the stroke of midnight somebody came running up breathless, gasping how the world was exploding. Drunk us all watched in mixed fascination/despair at the colorful explosions until somebody realized they were fireworks.
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 13,845 Member
    Options
    I remember sitting in my room at the boarding house across the street from the english school I was supposed to be attending in
    São Paulo, Brazil feeling so alone and incredibly sad.
    I hated that my parents took me to Brazil at 14.
    I remember thinking, “oh yeah” and proceeded to drink myself into oblivion and get kicked out of school.

I was not easy to deal with.
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    I remember talking with my husband when we were in our 20s about how irritating old people are.
    40yrs later, I still get it. 😀
  • honey_honey_12
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I used to spend hours walking through the woods out at some land we used to own.
    I remember one particular day that I got a scare.

I was quietly walking through the trees following a horse/deer path.
    All of a sudden I heard a very loud snort, looked up about 12’ away was a huge buck.
    He snorted, I screamed and we both ran.
    I kept thinking about that show, “When animals attack” and that buck is beating up that man.

I was always a little more observant after that.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,464 Member
    Options
    Back in my youth as a Boy Scout, our summer camp maintained a salt lick in an open field, literally a giant block of salt which encouraged wildlife to creep out of the woods to taste it while scouts sat concealed at the edge of the field observing and taking notes. One summer a buddy and I noticed a young moose, too young to be living on his own yet, and we wondered where his momma was. Just then we heard a loud snort behind us, turn around, and there's momma not 5 feet away, towering over us...with us between her and her calf. My buddy raced left, I raced right, and whether our tactic confused her or she didn't care about us, we both made it back to camp alive.
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I remember chasing my older brother down the sidewalk walk with a dead snake that I found on the side of the busy road we were on. Why was I so weird and gross? 🤢🤮
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    I remember a sad time in my life... a couple years ago, maybe more. I had to leave this wonderful community. At that time I wore a different hat and folks here knew me as RiderOfWestern.

Well, how the heck are you doing?
    😀
  • SundryCoder
    SundryCoder Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I remember a sad time in my life... a couple years ago, maybe more. I had to leave this wonderful community. At that time I wore a different hat and folks here knew me as RiderOfWestern.

Well, how the heck are you doing?
    😀

A lot has happened in that short time.
    But, mostly for the better.

Missed a lot of folk here, you included.
  • TwitchyMagee
    TwitchyMagee Posts: 4,579 Member
    Options

It’s nice to see you. I would tell you who I used to be but I can’t remember all my past usernames. But you were a very nice for a moderator 😉😁
  • SundryCoder
    Options

It’s nice to see you. I would tell you who I used to be but I can’t remember all my past usernames. But you were a very nice for a moderator 😉😁

Thank you, I remember talking with you too. You might have had this name when I left or something sinilar.
  • TwitchyMagee
    Options
    Red pistachios in a gumball machine
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Fill 'er up with ethyl!
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    0l2avsml0qk6.jpeg

I remember coming home from school and finding my new 10speed in the garage.
    Of course I took off on it.
    Grabbed a handful of front brake and flew right over the bars.
    Landed in grass, no big deal but I hurried and put it up before my mom got home from work.
    Had to act like I was surprised.
    I always had a boys bike, not sure why exactly.
    I was tall, I remember not wanting a puny girls bike.

I put a lot of miles on my bike as a kid. It was freedom, I could go as far as my legs could take me.
    My best friend got a 10speed for her bday that yr too, she got a really nice Schwinn, small, girls bike.
    At first I remember being jealous but then I loved my bike so much I wouldn’t have traded.
    Of course my knees hit her handlebars, lol.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,273 Member
    Options
    0l2avsml0qk6.jpeg

I remember coming home from school and finding my new 10speed in the garage.
    Of course I took off on it.
    Grabbed a handful of front brake and flew right over the bars.
    Landed in grass, no big deal but I hurried and put it up before my mom got home from work.
    Had to act like I was surprised.
    I always had a boys bike, not sure why exactly.
    I was tall, I remember not wanting a puny girls bike.

I put a lot of miles on my bike as a kid. It was freedom, I could go as far as my legs could take me.
    My best friend got a 10speed for her bday that yr too, she got a really nice Schwinn, small, girls bike.
    At first I remember being jealous but then I loved my bike so much I wouldn’t have traded.
    Of course my knees hit her handlebars, lol.

You always remember your first 10 speed!
    I had a Schwinn, it was silver. I remember my parents dragging us to some special bike store, Brown's I think, and being fitted for this bike. I was like just get a bike!! The only better thing was this orange scooter I had. We eventually sold it at a garage sale and had people bidding on it it was so cool. Man I was spoiled
  • SundryCoder
    edited January 2023
    Options
    eu7o4djsjy9n.jpg

I took this photo in 1988.
    I was visiting the Grand Canyon and I saw a squirrel on the rock looking out over the canyon and I had to take a picture to capture it.
  • TwitchyMagee
    Options
    eu7o4djsjy9n.jpg

I took this photo in 1988.
    I was visiting the Grand Canyon and I saw a squirrel on the rock looking out over the canyon and I had to take a picture to capture it.

I wonder if that squirrel’s great great great etc grandbabies still look out over the canyon