Freak of nature and other backhanded compliments..,

Options
13»

Replies

• hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze
    hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    From my inlaws- "You're almost hot enough to fock!" :huh: Okay, thanks.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My ex-boyfriend: "You're so fat; you're a whale." :noway:
    His parents: "You're not fat anymore!"
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    I usually got the " you would be pretty if you lost weight". Or you look so much better now, Im not trying to be pretty, i want to be fit" Ignorant people suck

I don't think that's ignorant. I don't think there is anything wrong with either of those comments. Maybe you're too sensitive?

I get this kind of insult all the time: you would be pretty if you dressed like [insert random half-wit celebrity half my age here], you would be pretty if you changed your hair (both in it's current untreated state, and in every chemically-achieved color I ever had), you would be pretty if you were shorter (I'm 5'10), you would be pretty if you had a tan (seriously? Do I look like I even *can* tan?), you would be pretty if you weren't so smart (WTF? And not from someone who would have reason to know my intellectual capacity), you would be pretty if... the list goes on. And on. And on and on and on... It's like they're offended that I don't conform to their exact specifications. It may not be *intended* that way, but it comes across that way.

I don't think one of those items you mentioned had anything to do with losing weight or becoming healthier.

True. But they all have that "You would be pretty if," as if that thing, regardless of what it is, is your only chance to have some redeeming value. Certainly most people look better as they get healthier, but the implication (purposely or not) in that particular type of back-handed compliment is that right now you're hideous, and you should do X thing to make yourself acceptable to the person doing the complimenting.

I, personally, would probably enjoy life a lot more if all men were 6'5, well-defined, half-naked, and gorgeous. But I'm not going to go up to the ones who aren't and tell them they'd attractive "if"...

You wrote, " . . . right now you're hideous . . ." . . . WRONG. Maybe they are thinking "You are so pretty, but you'd be prettier if . . .".

Your lawn looks so do good, but it might look better if you fertilized it. See how that works? It all boils down to your attitude.

I don't see how anybody can defend these comments as anything other than rude. If a person *asks* what they can do to look better, whatever is said is fair game. But an unsolicited comment that you could be prettier if you lost weight - which clearly implies that you aren't sufficiently pretty now - is absolutely rude and hurtful *even if it's a fact*. Factual correctness doesn't make the speaker less of an *kitten*.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    "You look thinner. Have you been sick?" From a co-worker.

Gee, thanks.

Haha! I got this one today from someone i hadnt seen for 6 months. He did then go on to say that i looked well so I didn't slap him.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You're not nearly as big as you were in Montana.

I laughed but I tend to get a long life out of my panties by not getting them in unnecessary twists.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    From someone who saw me in shorts for the first time: "OMG! (tone of disgust) JEEZ your legs look like BODYBUILDER's"....

yeah.. I ride horses, hike, run/walk, etc and I have strong legs. but I decided to say "WOW THANK YOU!!!" and took it as a compliment. I've seen some sexy women that lift, if my legs look like theirs then :drinker: :blushing: :wink: :smile: