Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Give alternatives for food allergies with substitutions

Options
I am super allergic to tree nuts and avocados which unfortunately appear in many recipes. Please create a way to show what could be substituted for the same amount of protein in nuts and fat in avocado to adjust into the recipes you have available so the flavor and consistency isn't changed. Then allow the substitutions in the app.

A recipe substitution article would also be a great thing to explain what and how much of the different proteins could be substituted for all nut allergies and fat substitutions for avocados.

Create recipes without nuts or avacados.
3 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• sharondesfor935
    sharondesfor935 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi, Mikalyku! My daughter has a tree nut allergy so I usually avoid using them. (And if I do, I put stickers all over the container with little skulls and crossbones. 😆) Various seeds can be good substitutes for nuts in most dishes. (I'm a personal fan of roasting butternut squash seeds.) I've used Grape Nuts effectively in place of nuts as well, especially in baking when you need the bulk, though that changes the nutrition profile significantly. Sometimes you can just leave them out without substituting, though if you're keto you'll need to add a fat to make up for them. You can oven roast or air fry most beans after soaking overnight, or even canned beans if you're willing to cook them a bit longer, but again, you'll be lower in fat than the nuts.

Avocado is harder because it's such a distinctive flavor. If you just need the fat, then oil or butter works. If you need some texture because it's meant to be blended or mashed into the recipe, try silken tofu. To flavor it you can use various herbs and spices. Blended with fresh parsley might work. Or substitute sour cream if that works in the flavor profile of the recipe.

I hope some of those ideas are new to you!