people crapping all over my plans

Options
13»

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If other people's comments bother me, it's usually because there's a grain of truth in what they're saying or I'm insecure about the particular issue. If I am confident in what I'm doing, then others' comments don't bother me.
    This.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I have disagreements with people about their particular dietary choices, but I know that what works for other people doesn't necessarily work for me, so what I do won't necessarily work for them. They have to live with their results, so they get to choose their methods, right?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me yesterday. I told some co-workers that I'm going to be skipping breakfast for my intermittent fasting.

The most common comments are things like, "You're going to go into starvation mode.", "Breakfast kick starts your metabolism.", "Skipping dinner is better because your body doesn't burn calories in your sleep." etc etc.

Just prove them wrong with your results. That's the only way they'll even consider what you have to say. But I know the feeling. It's this helpless feeling, knowing that whatever you say right now means nothing.

Don't let any of it get to you though.

I think you are really fortunate. In your environment people know the right answers, at least as far as terminology is concerned. In mine the words " starvation mode ", " kick starting one's metabolism " , or " burning calories in your sleep " are absolutely unknown and people in general are uninformed on the subject. That's why I don't tell anyone what I am doing. They would not even know what I am talking about.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    That is ridiculous. The same thing has happened to me when I tell people ( just in conversation) that I usually dont eat breakfast. They say " Its really bad skipping breakfast, you putvon more weight that way" Which makes me want to slap them. I just say " well for me it just adds extra calories if Im not planning on exercising." I dont purposely skip it, Im just noy hungry. Why eat if Im not hungry? I want to enjoy my food, not force myself. Plus you are doing what works for YOU. I have actually been told not to run in the evening, only the morning. I run in the evenings. Esp in summer / early fall. I wake up.t 630-7 and its usually getting hot
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Personally I kind of enjoy conflict so I am of no advice here...

"So how did you lose all the weight? Surgery... Lap band ?"

No just diet exercise and I use the spike method

"Oh is spike some sort of drug?"

Yes, you see I go find a really fast runner and I spike them with my soccer cleat and then run as fast as I can... Its worked wonders...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm experimenting with intermittent fasting and having good results.

I made the mistake of starting to tell people about my experiences.

There seem to be so many people ready to jump all over it with their negativity about all the reasons why it's bad, why it won't work blah blah blah.

It's so predictable, it's almost comical.

What to do with these people? Do I need to invest in a rubber mallet or what? :yawn:

What form of IF are you doing? I am trying to decide between 5:2 and 16:8.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The first rule of any diet and exercise program is that you don't discuss your diet and exercise program with people from whom you do not want advice.
    [/quote

Winner!!
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm experimenting with intermittent fasting and having good results.

I made the mistake of starting to tell people about my experiences.

There seem to be so many people ready to jump all over it with their negativity about all the reasons why it's bad, why it won't work blah blah blah.

It's so predictable, it's almost comical.

What to do with these people? Do I need to invest in a rubber mallet or what? :yawn:

Just stop telling people all your business. that should take care of the nay sayers.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with 5:2 and it's easier when you can point to your own results with an attitude of "it's working, so don't give me any crap". It's just a little harder when you're still on your way to your goal.

I'm really lucky- my husband is supportive and my co-workers include a young woman with inherited high cholesterol who's careful about fat, one who's gluten-free for health reasons, a vegetarian, and my boss the long-distance runner whom I've never seen drink anything stronger than ginger ale. Two new mothers are trying to lose their post-baby weight. If my lunch in a fancy restaurant is a green salad with dressing on the side and grilled asparagus, no one says a word.

And I love the "my body, my rules" response!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    This made me have a new thought:

The first rule of diet club is nobody talks about diet club. LOL
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

What form of IF are you doing? I am trying to decide between 5:2 and 16:8.

I typically do an 18 hour stretch with no food, just water and gum. I find if I eat any food, it just stimulates my appetite. If I don't eat, I have very little hunger during the day. I fast about twice/week. If you're starting off, I would just start by skipping breakfast and see how you feel. You can gradually increase the length of your fast as your body gets used to it.

The last fast was going so well I broke the fast with 500 calories around 9pm, then didn't feel like eating more so I just went to bed and didn't eat anything until the next afternoon for a total of 36 hours with only 500 calories. It was totally awesome. I felt unusually joyful and now my appetite (when I'm not fasting) has been reduced considerably. I have always struggled to keep under my calorie goals. Fasting seems to have the benefit of 'resetting' my appetite.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a 5:2 plan for a little over 100 days now. The results I have had are amazing. I eat 1 apple, 2 stalks of celery, 12 almonds, 12 nutrition wafers and drink a mineral/herbal tea on my 2 fast days. I tell you this because when I share this outside MFP, I get all kinds of grief about my "poor" eating choices. Stop telling people. I've learned to just say no thank you when offered something. P.S. Since doing the 5:2, I've lost 19 pounds and 48 cumulative inches off of my frame and I have a TON more energy! Keep up the good work!