Less Alcohol ~ DECEMBER 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I am currently living the "less alcohol" life. Cutting down a lot but not eliminating enough to make me feel healthy every morning. I do notice that after a few drinks, my Fitbit shows my heart rate during the night is all above resting. When I don't drink in the evening, my night's heart rate is under the resting heart rate. This is significant to me but not enough deterrent to stop drinking. Sigh.

I do read all your posts and love that you have a wonderful, close group.

Ruby good to see your post.

QUESTION:
    So is it more important for you to be 100% sober? Or can you be happy with yourself having drinks on a regular basis, but without blackouts?

It has been years for some of us to get where we want to be in drinking LESS.

• joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I’m still Amanda, I’m from Michigan. I am still a crazy cat lady and work for a veterinarian. This will be my sixth month with this group and it has helped me cut back on my drinking so much! I am not ready to say I am 100% sober but last month I had 30 days alcohol free 😃

12/1-12/7: 7 out of 7 AF
    12/8-12/14: 7 out of 7 AF
    Rolling total: 14 out of 14 AF

12/15: AF
    My dad always buys a giant bottle of Baileys over the holidays and we put it in coffee and top it with whipped cream (if you want) or pour it over ice. I just perused the interwebz a bit and I don’t see AF Baileys. You can make it but it looks like such a pain in my behind I think I’ll just skip it this year or just have one.
    So proud of everyone for their AF streaks, especially during this season that can be tricky.
  • joans1976
    Options
    @Holidays22 Its so good to see you back! I lurked your thread all through summer and most of fall. I was so disappointed when it was gone. I was so worried for you. Everyone on that thread was really trying and offered great input, I admired all of you. It was honest and insightful. I lurked because I was not sober and found this thread to be more fitting for me at the time.
    I wish you all the best! Have a peaceful holiday!
  • joans1976
    Options
    @mfowler883 Sorry I misjudged you, you struck me as a Reddit user, I should not have judged at all!

@dawnbgethealthy You crazy woman on your skates! Good job on the AF front!
  • MissMay
    Options
    @RubyRed427 here is life-

Some of us feel that if we won a giant lottery all our troubles would be gone, in honesty that is rarely true.

Some of us have always wanted to weigh below a particular number on the scale, when we gain half a pound we feel defeated.

So on and so on.

Being honest with yourself first, that possibly being dry for the rest of your life is TO HIGH A GOAL TO REACH. May get rid of that "ugh" at the end of your sentences.

Remember ONE DAY AT A TIME for goals is easier than trying to control an entire lifetime.

🙂

As well as some of us want to be
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    This group really helps me hold myself accountable, plus everyone is absolutely great. My monthly goal is 16-19 AF days (3A days max weekly) for weight loss and overall health. I post in the mornings about the previous day.

12/12: Drinks (2.5)
    12/13: AF
    12/14: Drinks (2.5)
    12/15: Drinks (2) - We tried out an upscale Mexican restaurant last night. They had an amazing musician there. Amazing! I stuck to the planned 2 drinks (yay!). I didn't plan for nor track dinner and got into late night snacking. Lesson learned: Track every meal until goal is met (except I'm not going to worry about Christmas). I've done my 3 A days this week. I think I'll hold off until next Thursday.

Rolling Total: 7 AF Days out of 15
  • MissMay
    Options
    @dawnbgethealthy is in her happy zone with ice skating. Have fun. Love how you are keeping them warm by not leaving them in your car.
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Day 16 AF.
    Yesterday was not a good day. The normally sweet natured toddler I nanny for acted monstrous all day and only took a 1 hour nap, when it is usually at least 2. By 2 pm I was sure I was hitting the beer and wine store on the way home. I texted a friend who knows I am doing this month and she gently reminded me, "You will regret it." I did not end up buying any after all but I did feel sorry for myself for a while. I went to bed early, got up at 4 am and am now baking some bread in my bread machine. Warm bread makes everything better.

@SunnyDays930 I'm so sorry you had a hard day but WOW! Good job making it through it the way you did! Your story is very inspirational. I'm also imagining the aroma in your house in the wee hours of the morning! What a great way to manage the inability to sleep. Yummy!
  • MissMay
    Options
    @mfowler883 your post about the loss of your dear friend G is moving.

Memories of loved ones no longer with us can be both glorious and painful at the same time.

Personal experience with the loss of my first husband, then my brother taking his own life, all within a year.

Caring thoughts your way.
  • MissMay
    Options
    @SunnyDays930 I am pretty sure I smelled bread baking in my sleep. What kind did you bake now that we are all drooling?

Good save in the end on the rough day you encountered.

• lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Good day to everyone
    I took some time to catch up on the posts, sheesh miss a day and the world has flown by!

The Building has SOLD, we signed the paperwork yesterday morning. So DH is concentrating on finishing cleaning his stuff out of the building. And on a funny note....this will require a bit of back story.

Because my DH business was refinishing fine furniture, he had a spray booth that vented through the roof which had a cap like looking piece of metal on the top of the stack. All these things had to be removed and the hole sealed. All good. So a lot of items including the old stack was in the back of the building for DH to haul tot he dump. As we were returning from the building signing I was taking we took a few back streets tot he building and low and behold.....there was the stack horded with a homeless mess on a side street...hope they enjoy it.

On the Alcohol front, I am not doing that great saying AF but not ever over doing, not ever sick or black outs and always only having 2 drink limit. So that is a positive for me.

ok have to run right now
  • mfowler883
    mfowler883 Posts: 226 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    @mfowler883 your post about the loss of your dear friend G is moving.

Memories of loved ones no longer with us can be both glorious and painful at the same time.

Personal experience with the loss of my first husband, then my brother taking his own life, all within a year.

Caring thoughts your way.

Thanks, same back to you.

I can't say for sure, but I think that had I not taken the time to sit at my desktop and write here as I did, I may well have gone next door to find something to drink. This group is really helpful for both accountability and support.
    MissMay wrote: »
    9x32dzng2nge.jpg
    I am finding my go to spots that offer up Heinekin00 or other NA cocktails. I even had a frozen margarita made at an authentic Mexican place without booze and it was awesome!(pictured above)

That looks awesome, I hadn't considered NA cocktails - I don't usually order margs as they all pale in comparison to the ones I make at home. Make up a good pitcher alongside some epic homemade guac and a bag of good chips.....okay, going to stop now, not even lunchtime yet and my mouth is watering.

-m
    joans1976 wrote: »
    @mfowler883 Sorry I misjudged you, you struck me as a Reddit user, I should not have judged at all!

Wait, that was a judgement? I read it as a question. No harm, no foul. Reddit is a strange place, some corners are full of knowledge, other corners are a complete cesspool.
    12/15: Drinks (2) - We tried out an upscale Mexican restaurant last night. They had an amazing musician there. Amazing! I stuck to the planned 2 drinks (yay!). I didn't plan for nor track dinner and got into late night snacking. Lesson learned: Track every meal until goal is met (except I'm not going to worry about Christmas). I've done my 3 A days this week. I think I'll hold off until next Thursday.

I get to where I think I've formed all the habits and I can just go through my day eating the new normal and everything is cool, then I don't track for whatever reason and discover that I'm way off base. I'm closer than I've ever been but it takes time to really form new habits. It's easy to let myself slip.

Yes, that also applies to drinking. If I wasn't keeping track, I would almost certainly drink more. Probably a lot more.

As I get into better and better physical condition, I'm starting to think about getting into something like Krav Maga. I think it would be a cool way to continue to push my body, as well as being a good skillset to add.

-m