Less Alcohol ~ DECEMBER 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    btw @mfowler883 Thank you for sharing your story from your past. You have moved forward and come a long way. But you wanted to change, thats the difference.

Ok no did not stay AF last night nor will I this afternoon (will be 2 beers, nap and done). But I have mentally resolved myself to go back to only a days on the weekend during the next few weeks.

We went to my mothers today and picked up her spare queen sized bed for my daughters family, between that and two blow up beds we are in good shape. Tomorrow I will finish washing all the bedding and make the beds, then the rest of the week small stuff. Like making daughter/family their shampoo, conditioner, body wash. Then I hope when they get here my granddaughter and I will formulate some riff of burts bees for my daughter (including the menthol) and maybe a lotion bar in the shape of a bee/honeycomb. Simple stuff.

Wow mocktail recipes..
    @MissMay you have lots of those right? please share you top 4...pretty please.....
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    @Womona! Perfect timing. I am making these and if I can get this book I will. Thank you!!! Pomegranate is my #1 fruit and flavor! You're the best!

Separately, @dawnbegethealthy will appreciate this - the 4 slabs of pork spare ribs have been procured ad ready for Christmas grilling :)
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    The suicide of Ellen's beloved sidekick, Twitch, has me rattled. Everyone saying how happy he seemed, how much he loved his family etc. My very wise, late father often reminded me that, "we all carry an invisible bucket of tears." This is so true. We do not know what the stranger walking past us is suffering, or maybe even those close to us. We must do our best to be kind and compassionate to all. Most of all, we must try to muster up gratitude for what blessings we DO have.

The Christmas season can be very difficult for those that are in grief for whatever reason. Life is never like a Hallmark movie for most of us. We are all just doing the best we can.
    I admire every single one of you for sharing your honesty and struggles here. I am sure there are those following this thread silently that feel the same.

Very well said.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,629 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    joans1976 wrote: »
    @Womona Woohoo! So glad for you! Congrats!

@RockinRobyn672 Thank you for sharing your story. What a story it is! My dad was my hero and could do no wrong up until I saw my mom get sick in 2011 and I had to be the caregiver and he just kind of….ignored it. I wasn’t mad but I noticed. Now I worry about his drinking because since he lost 75% of his hearing, he makes a lot more mistakes and just seems to be in a different world. I think there’s a touch of senility setting in and then add red wine to that and, well, not good. I’m not sure how to handle it but I definitely do not drink with or in front of them any more and they are still offering me wine (🙄) when I’m there. I used to say no thank you but now I say, “I haven’t been drinking for months now. I have to drive home, I can’t drink. I also have breast cancer, it’s not good for me to drink.” Trying to make them see the difference. *sigh* Sorry for the rant.

Thanks!

@RockinRobyn672 That must have been so painful to watch and go through, but I’m glad you got your dad back in the end. Hugs!

@joans1976 does your dad actually wear his hearing aid? I know so many elderly folks who own them but never seem to have them in. That can contribute to the “he’s in another world “ issue. Wine definitely does not help with dottiness and tippiness. As for your dad ignoring when your mom got sick, I think men of that generation are absolutely lost without their wives (even if they were the traditional bread winner “man’s work” guys). I suspect that was his coping mechanism- he just couldn’t deal with the thought of losing her. He is “supposed to” get sick and go first, and the thought of it possibly not being the case rattled him to the core.
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    @Womona Thanks for the mocktail recipes and the name of the book! They look delicious! I'm going to look for that book for me. I may buy one of these for a family member who is also cutting back. I'd also like to buy it for a family member that I'm concerned about but that I'm also concerned it will offend.
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @joans1976 I had to stop my mom from driving at 89 and it was a constant battle with her until she died at 95. I have a funny story. I allowed her to keep her car so that it would look like someone was home and I know she thought she would be able to sneak and drive it. My hubby researched and found online advice to remove a particular fuse so that the car wouldn't crank and to add a note on the motor that says "Do not repair. Call .... ". So my mom (who was around age 93 at the time) called a neighbor over to figure out what was wrong with the car. He was the one neighbor with whom we didn't share our secret. So my husband missed the call but there was a voicemail where he heard the neighbor telling mom about the note! She never said anything to me about it. I'm sure she knew it was me who was behind it.