Hoping Not Too Old

Options
At 72 and in moderate health, I'm hoping that MFP will prove that age is not an obstacle to achieving a healthy body.

Replies

• Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Certainly not too old. I'm 72 also and back to MFP as I find it good to log my calories. Have gained the last couple of years and need to get this weight off. I'm female, 5'5"....current weight 180 and hoping to get down to 150. Good luck to you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure age is not an obstacle. I grant, I was "only" 59-60 when I got to a healthy weight after about 30 previous years of overweight/obesity . . . but there are others here who've been successful at close to your current age, too.

Work on managing your calorie intake, getting overall good nutrition, and increasing activity gradually and sensibly. You can amaze yourself with what you can accomplish, at any age, with patience and persistence.

Bonus: By the time we get to our age, most of us have lots of practice at using patience and persistence to reach big goals via gradual steps. That's how we did things like get an education, build a career, raise a family, make a nice home, manage our finances, or learn various complicated skills (for hobby or professional reasons), etc. Those same skills apply here: Learn about it, take some positive manageable steps, build on them patiently over time.

You'll surprise yourself with how quickly benefits start to show up, I predict.

I'm cheering for you!
  • deniserzaj
    deniserzaj Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    as long as you have a pulse you can change your life
  • bvjump
    bvjump Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 76 1/2 years old and started losing weight 2 months ago and have lost 12 lbs! I don't expect to lose weight fast but find losing slowly it seems to stay off longer. At times I wish it came off easier but I feel good at my progress. I find this app most helpful as it makes me check my choice of foods so I choose more wisely. I want to learn how to use to my advantage and get the most out of it! Any suggestions would be most welcomed.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I am 70 years old and as of this week I have lost 100.8 pounds. Being older does not mean you cannot lose the weight. You can do it! Be diligent with your logging and weigh your food on a food scale. I have found it very helpful to read and participate in this community forum. There are so many experienced, knowledgeable people on here that have lost weight and maintained their loss for many years. Rooting you on!
  • SNAILTURBO2GO
    SNAILTURBO2GO Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Age is just a number. At 38 I felt twice my age. Now at 40, I feel half my age. Nutrition and movement are important. Nothing too crazy or drastic, just try and it pays off.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,477 Member
    Options
    deniserzaj wrote: »
    as long as you have a pulse you can change your life

I need this as a wall plaque or pillow.
  • RBnorth66
    RBnorth66 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am 74 and need to lose 20 pounds to help with lower back pain.
  • dpaquet3
    dpaquet3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today is my 70th birthday and I feel my age! My mobility has diminished in the last year and it scares me. I have done MFP before but this time I hope to stick with it. Hopefully instead of just logging food, I can get help from others. Good luck!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    You can do this it's just a mind set. Good luck.