Damn you, 2022

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
Just a quick note because I'm super frustrated. I really wanted to run 300km from October to end of December. Things didn't look good due to being sick a few times too often but hey, there was still a chance this might happen. Last week Monday I had a wonderful and surprisingly fast run. Thought I might get a year best and started to run fast near the end. Until a bike hit me from behind and pushed me into a notorious pothole on the road that I've been avoiding meticulously, from which I took off. Basically idiot cyclist didn't see my reflective markings because they had no light, and were apparently too distracted to see my own light pinned to my back. They also didn't stop when I landed on the road. Got a trip by ambulance to hospital, and it turned out I'd fractured my upper humerus joint. Right side of course. Had surgery and am recovering now. Iron levels tanked while being in hospital and so I'm super tired. Also still suffering from post-anesthesia messed up taste. At the moment nothing tastes good, and especially all my favourite drinks taste gross, from green tea to just water and coke zero. Yeah. So this was not how I imagined this year to end. But I'll be back!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    Wow, that doesn't sound like a good end to this year at all. How long is your recovery estimate before you can run again?

Take care of you, lovely.
  • yirara
    Options
    Wow, that doesn't sound like a good end to this year at all. How long is your recovery estimate before you can run again?

Take care of you, lovely.

I have no idea. I'm not supposed to do anything heavy with that arm for 6 weeks to let it heal properly but I guess running is different than lifting up heavy things :p . Seriously, since getting the hardware installed the fracture pain is not a problem anymore, and considering they peeled the muscles back from my bone the wound pain is pretty much absent (14 stitches!) but I have no desire to do anything at all at the moment. I'm currently wondering whether to go on a short vacation that I'd booked between Christmas and New Year or rather stay at home. I'm not even sure I can actually (or should) drive a car or have the desire to sleep in a bed that's probably not as cozy as mine.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez! Glad you're in one piece, though not actually "okay"!
  • yirara
    Options
    Well, not running but I am exercising :p Doing physio a few times per day to get my arm up and running again. So that's something. And it's kind of fun to see how things improve.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options
    My hubby (49yo) is 2 months post shoulder replacement and has finally been able to start running short 1-3 mile distances again. His doc said it might hurt, but there was no medical reason to abstain from running any longer. Like you, he doesn't like not being able to exercise so he is dealing best he can. Get clearance from your doc and do as he says. Some days hubby can get 3 miles before the pain starts other days it's only 1. He is historically a marathon runner. Slow & steady... Best of luck!
  • yirara
    Options
    Oh no, @pridesabtch I hope your hubby is getting better soon!

I had a little setback on Sunday night going into Monday. I must have rolled over the broken shoulder, and it caused enough ongoing pain to have a further set of xrays done. All fine though. I guess I just pulled some muscles and re-bruised some not fully healed tissue. Was good to talk to the doctor again because now I know that I'd managed to fracture my joint 4-way :o Like, there were 5 pieces of bone jingling about in there. Things are going quite well though, apart from the little set-back.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Things are slowly getting better, mobility is improving. Will need to discuss with physiotherapist tomorrow whether my shoulder is getting more mobile again, or my rather useless tendons are getting even more flexible. But by now I can lay on my back and rest the broken arm straight out above my head. 180 degrees achieved :D Other movements are not quite that good, but I'm getting there. Tomorrow I'm 6 weeks post surgery and can hopefully start building strength. Oh, and I'm able to cycle again. Which I feel more comfortable with than walking, considering the dear state of the sidewalks here. I also got a new pr in one-arm 500m breaststroke :D Shame garmin is not awarding a swimming badge this month :D

Good news, Yirara - thanks for the update. I hope you see continued improvement, and that 2023 rolls on in a kinder way overall.
  • yirara
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Things are slowly getting better, mobility is improving. Will need to discuss with physiotherapist tomorrow whether my shoulder is getting more mobile again, or my rather useless tendons are getting even more flexible. But by now I can lay on my back and rest the broken arm straight out above my head. 180 degrees achieved :D Other movements are not quite that good, but I'm getting there. Tomorrow I'm 6 weeks post surgery and can hopefully start building strength. Oh, and I'm able to cycle again. Which I feel more comfortable with than walking, considering the dear state of the sidewalks here. I also got a new pr in one-arm 500m breaststroke :D Shame garmin is not awarding a swimming badge this month :D

Good news, Yirara - thanks for the update. I hope you see continued improvement, and that 2023 rolls on in a kinder way overall.

Aww, thanks a lot Dear Lady With The Most Amazing Arm Muscles <3 I'll use your profile pic as inspiration if you don't mind and will get my strength back <3
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,118 Member
    Options
    My dad tripped and smashed his shoulder about a year ago, 4 or 5 breaks I think. He recovered very smoothly, only the occasional ache now and again in his bionic shoulder :grin: But I don't think he had 180° mobility upwards that soon after surgery! Shoulders are complex, sounds like recovery is going well.
  • yirara
    Options
    Aww, good to hear your dad is fine, Lietchi. Yeah, I have 4 fractures and it was a high impact thingy from a sprint. If I'd not done a bone density scan last year I'd be doing one now, but all is fine in that respect. The physiotherapist told me today I did too much because he'd never seen anyone with that much mobility so soon. I guess I just hate doing nothing, and if mobility exercises is all I can do then I do them instead :#
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Get well soon Ms Sheep!
  • yirara
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Get well soon Ms Sheep!

Aww, thanks a lot unknown stranger with the protest image <3
  • yirara
    edited January 2023
    Options
    yay, properly training strength now! My own target: being able to lift up my arm vertically again. I managed to lift up the arm vertically when laying on my back the first time 2 weeks ago. I think it was more strenuous than my PB chestpress :D And now it works nearly effortless. I used a wooden stick that I held in both hand, and held it up on the normal side, and pushed it up there with the injured arm. Will try the same for vertical up when standing, and then, after a few repeats try without stick.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    yay, properly training strength now! My own target: being able to lift up my arm vertically again. I managed to lift up the arm vertically when laying on my back the first time 2 weeks ago. I think it was more strenuous than my PB chestpress :D And now it works nearly effortless. I used a wooden stick that I held in both hand, and held it up on the normal side, and pushed it up there with the injured arm. Will try the same for vertical up when standing, and then, after a few repeats try without stick.

Congratulations, Yirara! You're an inspiration, sincerely.

I really appreciate posts like this on MFP. I think sometimes people who are new to being active (and maybe especially those who are both young and new) can think that meaningful achievement is beyond them because of where they start and because starting as an adult. (And any setback at that stage can feel like permanent doom.)

I suspect you've heard - and I know I have in recent years - people say things that amount to "yeah, sure, it's easy for you because you're a naturally fit (or thin) person". People who've been at it for a while, or have been through some stuff, know that's just not how it works.

In your specific case, you work so hard, and have figured out and made amazing progress despite so many challenges. This post is just one more great example from you of the value of patience, perseverance, persistence, and hard work. Thank you for the great example. It helps me.
  • yirara
    Options
    Thanks a lot Ann <3 It's a totally new experience for me to have a limb that's basically totally useless. And it teaches me so much about not giving up and just trying things, and to find ways to make gaining mobility and strength back fun. I do hope that people feel inspired, because I know how easy it is to just say: nah, that's all too difficult. Other people are better than me. Or whatnot. So yeah: People that say this: You're currently better than me! Congratulations. It's a great starting point. Keep on going <3
  • yirara
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Body threw spanner in the works. Mobility still good, still improving quickly. Building strength is not quite working as I get what feels like an inflamed deltoid including tendons and biceps tendon when I do strength exercises. Why is still uncertain. Theories include too little space below the acromion and pressure/friction on the tendons, shoulder still being too much out of whack and not quite staying in place (I'm certain I luxated it with the accident but it was fine when the ambulance checked it out. Yeah, EDS is fun), kind of allergic tissue reaction to the plate (hello EDS), or capsule damage that has been hiding on ultrasound, or simply too tight muscles still. It's still under investigation all. Just need to find the right doctor for it. But even strength is getting better. I can at least reach out to my bedside table with a stretched out arm without having to get up and move closer. :D
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    Well, bedside tables are uber-important. Oh, wait, I don't even have one. But still!

Rehab is interesting. I'm a woman of a certain age and things are starting to cause pain where there was previously no pain. I have a whole list of exercises to do for various parts and rarely get to them all, so a little pain is part of every day.

Keep doing your thing, you're definitely inspirational like Ann says. I think I missed the part about EDS and I don't know what that is, but - it's just a rock in the river. We go around.