LESS Alcohol ~ JANUARY 2023 ~ One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    @dawnbgethealthy - Love your pictures. Such a wonderful welcoming with the twinkling lights in the dark snowy evening.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @mfowler883 good luck with the move.

I had 1.5 glasses of wine Friday night, but two yesterday plus some nice port. I feel surprisingly good today and slept well last night, a huge feat, considering the fact that I had 3 drinks. Reining it in today.

I went car shopping with my son yesterday, it was fun. The car he wants has to be ordered, so it’s going to be a few months.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    Had my first drink since July today -- an acai flavored hard kombucha, at a social event in a bar. It was ok but it kind of just tasted like hard cider to me. As far as effects there weren't any different effects than normal. I didn't actually finish the whole thing, I drank a little over half and my partner finished the rest. But since I have like no tolerance now I still got kind of buzzed, although it wore off quickly.

However things have been bad this week. My new psychiatrist increased my Lexapro dose to 10mg and it actually made me depressed. I wasn't even depressed before and now I am. I keep having these thoughts like "I don't deserve to be happy because there is so much suffering in the world, some of which has been caused by me" and "there is no point to life, just misery and attempts to avoid misery," etc. I've also been sleeping over 12 hours a day and have no appetite. I messaged her about it today and she told me to go back down to 5mg and I have to see her again next week.

I'm thinking of just coming off all the medications entirely. I don't want to be a science experiment. Things were manageable the way they were. I don't know if it's worth the risk to try to improve them from the baseline.

It's really upsetting that I have to deal with this for a lifetime now because my mom decided to abuse me as a kid and give me PTSD. It makes me feel like I will never have true happiness or peace.
    I went through knock down drag out battles over getting rid of things that literally would not fit into the apartment my aunt was moving into, and now even those things are sitting in a storage unit because she ended up in the hospital the same weekend she moved here, and now is permanently in a nursing home where none of those things will fit, but I had no time to find ways to get rid of them because I was too busy dealing with her health problems. Definitely purge unless you have a grudge against your children! And sending strength to those going through it now.

I have so many hoarders in my family, on my mom's side, my dad's side, AND my partner's side. My partner grew up with TWO hoarder parents. Not just the shopaholic kind either. I could deal with piles of clothes and knickknacks like my grandma had, or even piles of newspapers from the 1940s like my grandpa had. But nope, this is the hoarding literal piles of trash, 20-year-old mice droppings, chronic bronchitis from black mold, waking up to a cockroach crawling where the sun don't shine (actually happened to my partner once when he was a kid) type of squalor hoarding. One parent died from a health condition caused by hoarding and other parent almost died from a different health condition caused by hoarding and lived with us for an extended period while they recovered (that was fun as you can imagine).

So yeah it's been a continuous cycle of managing the fallout of hoarding disorder. Just this week there had to be emergency repairs done on the hoarder home because the 100+ year old siding literally crumbled off in a strong gust of wind. My partner was visiting at the time and was just planning to leave and if he had walked out a minute sooner he could have been impaled by airborne rotting beams. This isn't even the first close brush with death that has happened with this house, they also got the rotting and leaking roof fixed literally two days before Hurricane Ida flooded out the whole area and drowned people in their homes.

Wow, I thought my MIL’s house was bad. Geez. Glad he is ok!

Have you ever tried EMDR therapy? It’s said to be very effective for PTSD. Kinda sucks to need to be on Meds to deal with past trauma. I hear ya. Hugs.

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,570 Member
    Options
    @Womona

I wasn't familiar with Currier and Ives, but what a lovely rabbit hole to fall down for a Sunday morning with my coffee!
    Thank you for that : - )
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,570 Member
    Options
    I am Dawn, I live in SE BC Canada
    My ongoing goal remains, 16-20 AF days per month.
    Last month I had 18AF days

I do this diary style to keep track, and post the next morning

Friday January 27 - 2 drinks, at like midnight. 3 used to be my normal, but for at least a year it has been 2. Since cutting back I feel the drinks more. Snowed like crazy all day yesterday, but I was inside working for around 12 hours. Photos to come of course : - ) On the editing, downsizing idea, I am not interested. I like my stuff. I have 2 sisters, one is like me and the other a minimalist.
    Saturday January 28 - Several drinks over an 8 hour stretch. Went to see "A man called Otto". Love Tom Hanks!! Planned AF (and hitting my 16) for Sunday.

Rolling total: 15AF days out of 28 days
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    1/28: Drinks (2) - We drove to Norfolk, VA. and checked out the Chrysler Museum, which I highly recommend if you're ever visiting the city. Hubby pushed me around in a wheelchair while my foot is on the mend. I had a delicious virgin Bloody Mary at a great restaurant for lunch. Thanks, @dawnbgethealthy, for mentioning that you can't taste the vodka in those. I had hubby taste mine versus his alcohol version and he couldn't tell the difference. I was saving myself for the two glasses of Pinot Noir I had at dinner.

NA Beer Update (for those interested): I changed my mind on Gruvi NA IPA. I'll finish out what I purchased but probably won't get more. Lagunitas IPNA is still my favorite. I found the Gruvi NA Pale Ale to be good, a little on the sweet side, but I would purchase this one again, especially since these are only 60 calories. I plan to try the Gruvi NA Stout tonight.

The plan is AF today, which will hit my goal of at least 16 AF days for the month. Yay me! I think last month that I was one short of this goal. I'm not doing as good a job on the weight side of things. That been going up bit-by-bit since I can't do any aerobic exercises. I also haven't been doing a great job at tracking lately. Do I have to track for the rest of my life?!?

Rolling Total: 15 AF Days out of 28