LESS Alcohol ~ JANUARY 2023 ~ One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    @Stockholm_Andy I don’t know if you can get it in Stockholm, but in the US and Canada you can buy premixed tomato & clam juice called “Clamato” it has a slightly briny taste. You can also buy bottled clam juice/clam broth which I use for cooking, It comes in small 100ml bottles and is great for a seafood stock. I don’t have strong feelings about clam v no clam in bloody marys/virgin marys but I made some great ones on New Years Day using a bit of olive brine and lots of horseradish and tobasco for spice. It sort of doesn’t seem to matter anymore once the horseradish goes in!

On NA wines, the only ones I find drinkable are aboutUSD 30-bottle and they are not generally available in grocery stores. You can order them through various on line stores or some liquor stores carry them depending on your local liquor laws. Look for the wine company Leitz which make Einz Zwei Zero, sparkling wines as well as a dry reisling and a pinot noir, Also Wolffer Estates Vineyards makes a sparkling rose called spring in a bottle, and DEL-ish makes a white and a rose sparkling. Surely makes a sauvignon blanc which I thought was pretty sour but others might like. Definitely not sweet. They make a red too I did not try. And Oddbird makes a rose and a blanc de blanc sparkler as well as a couple of still whites based on Alsatian grapes. Finally Proxies makes beverages that are intended as “proxies” for wine but are not wine and don’t pretend to be. They are made from tea and wine grapes and various spices/herbs but come in a wine bottle. Different experience but good with food/snacks. There is not a single NA wine I have found in a grocery that I find drinkable either, unfortunately. And I agree that the spirits are expensive and don’t deliver the same experience either. I often replace them with just a few drops of a bitter instead or a strong ginger beer.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,570 Member
    Options
    I am Dawn, I live in SE BC Canada
    My ongoing goal remains, 16-20 AF days per month.
    Last month I had 18AF days

I do this diary style to keep track, and post the next morning

Friday January 20 - Drinks. I was making them 1/2 - 3/4 shots. Some friends are coming over for Prossecco prior to us going to the Theatre to see a production of Cabaret. They drink much more than I do. I am planning only one glass because I want to have my car when we get out, their husbands will pick them up so they will have lots of wine at the theatre. I probably will have a nightcap when I get home safe and sound. I guess that I had better clean my house a bit.
    Saturday January 21 - Drinks - 1 glass of Prosecco in the late afternoon and then water since I was the driver to take us to the production of Cabaret, and offered to drive them home afterwards. It was an outstanding show even though none of us are used to staying up so late. I had 2 drinks when I got home.
    Sunday January 22 - AF - Drinks sounded like a lovely idea, but I abstained. My usual for the week planned: one weekday and both days on the weekend.
    Monday January 23 - AF - So many great posts! Have a great day everyone.
    Tuesday January 24 - 2 drinks, had a nice visit with some friends that I hadn't seen in awhile. Planned AF for Wednesday and Thursday.

Rolling total: 13AF days out of 24 days
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    @dawnbgethealthy ...thanks for the photos...that Caesar looks like a complete lunch... veggie salad and a drink!
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Hello! It’s Amanda, I’m back. It’s a new month and a new year! I’ve been thinking about 2022 and 2023. I’ve got some goals for the year and staying 98% AF is one of them. I love this group, I love this thread, it really works.

1/1-1/7: 7 out of 7 AF
    1/8-1/14: 7 out of 7 AF
    1/15-1/22: 7 out of 7 AF

1/22: AF
    1/23: AF
    I spent most of my evening trying to decompress from work. I was too amped up to sleep well, despite my best efforts. My job is stealing my joy. First thing on the list after radiation-job hunt!
    Current things to do: meditate and order those stress gummies!
    31 day AF streak
    0 A out of 24 for the month
    1/24: AF
    1/25: AF
    Too tired to think about having a drink. Too tired to do much of anything!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    DawnCumm wrote: »
    Couple questions: I have been following mostly this month but started AF mid-month, what will happen for Feb? Will a new thread begin?

I see a lot of people mention AF beer but nothing on wine. I am a huge wine lover and I have never found an AF version that is worth drinking. Any recommendations?

Yes, our fearless leader @MissMay creates a thread for the following month, usually a couple days before the end of this month.

Good NA wine is the unicorn of NA drinks. It does not exist.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options

Lets just rock bikinis at any size : - )

Can I do a mankini? Borat style :D

Hahahhahahaha! I’d pay good money to see that!