NO CHEATS FOR TWO WEEKS - SIGN THE PLEDGE

Options

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    No thanks. I need ice cream everyday or I'd go crazy.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    No one is "hating" nor "bashing". If you have a gluten allergy, then by all means, avoid wheat. Insulting our intelligence while accusing us of somehow attacking you without giving us that information is extremely unfair.

Au contraire, it is YOU who is insulting ME. How?

1. You twisted my words to pretend that I am saying that people "ought" to follow the same diet as me.

2. You assume that I haven't tried calorie counting and allowing myself to eat my trigger foods and found that the result of that way of dieting is that I am now over 300 pounds.

3. You assume that I don't know what is right for MY body.

You clearly have NO IDEA of what it is like to have trigger foods, to be out of control, to find it hard to self-discipline, or to have a BMI of over 60.
  • 366to266
    Options
    They're just trying to tell you that you don't have to take an all or nothing approach.

And they are 100% WRONG.

We are not all the same.

Some people DO have to take an all-or-nothing approach.

Like people giving up smoking.
    Like people giving up alcohol.
    Like people who could die from eating a peanut.
    Like people who have trigger foods.
    Like people who have tried calorie counting over and over for years and find that they expend all of their calorie allowance on junky rubbish and end up eating no real food!
  • 366to266
    Options
    I get you.

Blow the know it all trolls off because you certainly don't want anyone to be bringing you down.

Get back on it! Don't beat yourself up.

2 weeks. Ready, set, go! I'm hoping to last forever, wheat does terrible things to me besides just fatness. It helps me to remember that once I cheat, I have to beat the cravings all over again and have to get back into ketosis. One cheat/bite just wastes days-the more bites, the more days.

You can do this.

Thank you Zuz. This is exactly my experience as well. I felt SO ill after the binge, and really angry with myself for having to spend the next few days merely going back to where I was -- instead of making progress.

"One cheat/bite just wastes days-the more bites, the more days." Do you know what? I might print that out in a huge font to remind myself.

THANKS to those who joined the pledge and left messages of support, for all the private messages and the heap of friend requests.

I congratulate myself for running the gauntlet yesterday. Even though I was very hungry and had just done a workout in the pool, I

- Walked up to the cafe/bar at the leisure centre, heaped with muffins, hot chocolate, cookies etc and asked for .... a paper cup to get some free water from the dispenser.

- Walked through the town centre, withstanding the most horrendous temptations - a top class bakery, then KFC, then McDonalds, a fish and chip shop, several coffee shops selling wheaty sugary concoctions.... then Thornton's and other evil places.... lol... walked straight past each one.

- Went into Iceland (a supermarket) and walked past thousands of frozen foods including cake, pizza, curries, rice dishes, walked past all that and chose only on-plan foods, emerging with a trolley of food not one item of which was off plan.

I'm so proud that I managed to do this. I am growing stronger each time I try this diet. I am learning how much it "costs" me, in terms of weight loss setback AND feeling ill setback, and 95% of the time I do withstand it. I am continuing to work on that 5%.
  • Jessfa1990
    Options
    I'll join you! Unlike some people, I find it easier to avoid my "weak foods" vs eating them in moderation. Lately I haven't really been following that and it's getting harder to resist, so back to my old ways of avoiding foods at all cost that I shouldn't eat. It works much better for me this way. Good luck to you :happy:
  • BossReyes
    BossReyes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m1dak5TOQv1qdsz89o1_400.gif

You clearly have NO IDEA of what it is like to have trigger foods, to be out of control, to find it hard to self-discipline, or to have a BMI of over 60.

I used to weigh 475 pounds.
    My BMI was over 60

Listen, I understand YOU. I know why you think this is going to work well for you in the long run. Can I tell you from someone who's had to rebuild his mental structure around food, it does NOT work.
    You can go ahead, ban all bad things from your life or you can learn to enjoy life. Realize this is a day to day game. You should be prepared to lose all of your weight over the course of 5-6 years. Why does there NEED to be a rush?
    You're ashamed at yourself. Why? You ****ed up? Failure is essential to success. You will never succeed unless you make a few mistakes on what not to do.

You will also NOT succeed by ignoring people that understand you. Sure, lose 100 pounds in a year. What are you going to do when you feel comfortable? Maintenance is life-long. Build a life-style that ensures success. Not quick 2 week sprints.

Here's a recent blog post I did.
    http://www.450tofit.com/from-450-to-happy/
    From being a little kid to being morbidly obese to a work in progress.
    312.4 as of this past Monday.
    I will compete in a bodybuilding competition by the time I turn 21. I estimate at least another 60 pounds I need to lose before even getting below 10% bodyfat but I’m okay with that. Progress is STILL progress.
    One foot in front of the other, never look back.

Extremely happy with my progress. I’ve never been happier.
    To really change and stick to your new habits, there must be a WHY.
    What is your why?
    My why? I hated myself, where I was… I was successful in other areas of my life but why be successful if your health isn’t there. Why live my 30′s and 40′s in misery to die an early death?

Think about why you’re doing what you’re doing. Are you doing it for your family? Are you doing it for your kids? Most importantly, are you doing it for yourself?

Everyday is a new day to explore what’s possible in this magnificent world of ours. Carpe Diem – Seize the Day, because if you don’t, I WILL.

I'm doing this for the long term.
    Your way of thinking is going to hurt you, you're developing a relationship(or might have already developed) that will be harmful to you. This is all about the mind.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I have to avoid wheat all the time, and sugar most of the time due to health issues, so I understand how you feel in that respect. I also understand that those foods are "trigger" foods that typically send you into a binge, so I think it is wise for you to avoid them.

However, I strongly believe successful weight loss without regain is down to being consistent and persistent. Sticking with your exercise and a reasonable eating plan is so important, and especially being able to stick to it immediately following something like eating a slice of cake at someone's birthday or whatever. Life happens, eating stuff we don't eat every day happens. It's ok, the point is to get right back on track. Not two weeks or two months later--right away. That has been difficult for me to learn, as I tend towards that all or nothing mentality, and am terribly hard on myself. There is no way I could have done any of this without being a bit kinder to myself.

For me, and it seems many others in this thread, it would be setting ourselves up for failure to decide we can't ever have a certain food (that we're not allergic to), because that food is "bad" or "off limits" or whatever language you want to use for it. Eating those bits of dark chocolate that I like to have now and again would be viewed as a failure and then what? If I am an all or nothing thinker, I immediately decide "F this, I failed" and then I've conveniently given myself a really great excuse to completely go off the rails.

There is definitely something to all the talk about one's personal relationship with food--I think it's really important to closely examine that in a very critical way, and possibly get some professional help if you can't figure out a way to eat in a way that doesn't require the all or nothing mindset.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    They're just trying to tell you that you don't have to take an all or nothing approach.

And they are 100% WRONG.

We are not all the same.

Like people who have tried calorie counting over and over for years and find that they expend all of their calorie allowance on junky rubbish and end up eating no real food!

OP, good luck on you path. Treating food like an allergy or being this extreme has clearly had a negative effect an I understand that you are trying to manage. You binged.

Perhaps the binging is the result of over restriction. Inspect that idea, take it for a walk.

Good luck.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm with the waffle. If you stay at your calorie goal, all will be well.

NO IT WON'T - not in MY case. I felt HORRIBLE after bingeing on those items -- sickly, achey, weepy, sluggish, foggy, heavy and bloated. Staying within my calorie goal (if I had one) would not have prevented me from feeling any of that list of ghastly things.

This is about having the strength to do what is RIGHT for our bodies - having the self esteem to truly believe we are worth the effort.

I'm disgusted that you people (above) have decided to use this thread to bash the only diet that has EVER made me feel better.

I think it best if the haters keep off this thread -- as I said,

THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO COMMIT TO A CLEAN 2 WEEKS, REGARDLESS OF WHAT DIET PLAN THEY ARE FOLLOWING. IT'S ABOUT MAKING A PROMISE AND KEEPING TO IT.

So, let me get this straight. You binged and felt horrible afterwards. You, apparently, have self-esteem issues and have trouble believing you are worth the effort. Some people disagree with you, so all of a sudden, they are "bashing" and "hating" on your thread. Well, please allow me to respond.

I went over my calories today. I don't care and I sure as hell don't feel guilty. I eat within my calories 80-90% of the time, I work out extremely consistently, I have zero self-esteem issues and I could not care less if you think I am a "basher" or a "hater." Just because you start feeling all guilty and weepy and bloated and whatever else for having an extra bowl of Lucky Charms doesn't mean the rest of us do.

Some people on here have had a lot of success doing things differently than you do, but you are putting yourself in a position that will not allow you to learn from them. You can surround yourself with yes men and people who agree with you, but you'll never move out of your narrow little box if you do. Instead of bashing the haters and hating the bashers, why not read what they wrote and see if they MIGHT possibly have some knowledge that can introduce an additional potential path to success??

Or, you can honor your two week pledge. And then honor another one after you binge again in 15 days. Your choice.

Yes 100% - thats exactly how I get thru each day of my life with - not a diet - but a "healthy eating lifestyle" :)

yesrterday i enjoyed my homemade tuna salad on low sodium potato chips - it was delicious and I knew I may have been eating a little bit more than i could have, and today the scale showed a 1 pound gain, however, that means nothing in the big picture. because it will go away in a few days, and I thoroughly enjoyed that tuna salad, and therefore, I could not do a pledge because THAT will drive me nuts and make me feel deprived and that would be harmful to my overall healthy eating lifestyle.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    wow you guys are A-holes. If you guys don't want to join her then don't respond! And she is not shaming it, she's just stating what doesn't work for HER. So lay off.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the way i see it, she is exhibiting terribly orthorexic thinking and inviting others to join her in this terribly orthorexic thinking.

people are responding the way they are because 1) that mindset will hurt her chance of long term success, 2) it's unnecessary, and 3) there is a very high probability that she will binge the minute the 2 weeks are over.

we'd like to help her see that by changing her relationship with food, she can still enjoy all sorts of foods in moderation and still lose weight.

wanna know what the surest recipe for failure is when trying to lose weight? ...it's to attack the problem by following a deprivation diet mentality.

are you freakin serious????? she cheated maybe over did it! and wants to make a freakin pledge to keep her motivated and instead get all kinds of irrelevant freakin bull!! it has nothing to do with mind set relationship with food and wtv else bull u people came up with!! im so sick of this every time i come in a thread i have to get pissed with holier then though know it alls! get over yourselves and live and let live!!

I'm really sick of coming into threads and being accused of being a sugar and wheat shill and an a-hole because I don't think that this type of all or nothing thinking is necessary. We've all got our cross to bear I suppose.

Hi - I guess that you like to read posts where you feel are positive and uplifting and encouraging, and thats nice, i get that. however, when people here see a post that they feel or know is harmful, they are not going to encourage it nor promote it as it would be harmful to do so. So sometimes we need a little rain on our parade if it will save our life.

Not everything is puppies and rainbows and sweetness and light, especially when it has to do with saving someone's life.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    No one is "hating" nor "bashing". If you have a gluten allergy, then by all means, avoid wheat. Insulting our intelligence while accusing us of somehow attacking you without giving us that information is extremely unfair.

Au contraire, it is YOU who is insulting ME. How?

1. You twisted my words to pretend that I am saying that people "ought" to follow the same diet as me.

2. You assume that I haven't tried calorie counting and allowing myself to eat my trigger foods and found that the result of that way of dieting is that I am now over 300 pounds.

3. You assume that I don't know what is right for MY body.

Hi - I do totally understand #3 - about trigger foods, i had to go cold turkey on some fave foods and I still do. I cannot "eat whatever as long as it fits my macros" kind of thinking because that to me would give me license to eat those trigger foods.

I think what some peeps are reacting to is the concern about you putting a timeline on something that its best to just handle food "every day".. not just limit food to a 2 week period. that puts stress on a person and can make them go nuts on food and when the 2 weeks are over, its like being let out of jail now to enjoy all those trigger foods.

If you find that certain foods make you sick physically like an allergy, by all means avoid them. But I also feel that some have perceived you to have a unhealthy/bad relationship with food.

As for me, I just cant made any kind of pledge about food because that would make me feel like Im in food jail and when i get out, im gonna splurge on pizza, so i myself cant do it.

so maybe your pledge was to some of us, making us feel like in that 2 weeks is food jail, and when we get out, we're gonna go nuts and eat all that food we just deprived ourselves out of.

To a lot of people, we just dont deprive ourself of any food, we just develop a healthy relationship with food, where food is ok, we dont freak out over it, neither do we freak out over eating a bit too much for one day, we just go on, all is well, dont need a 2 week pledge, and neither are we Haters or Cruel people, thats just how we roll.

Make food your friend, not your enemy.

with the trigger foods, they are not your enemy, not to be freaked out over, just lay them aside for now, and dont fear them. Treat them like friends you once loved, but you now moved away and you will miss them but you just wont go see them. After not eating your triggers, in a month or two, they will be benign to you. you may never wish to eat them again, or maybe you can when you settle down with a healthy relationship with food that you can eat. Im' not saying eat the triggers, but to try to find peace with them that they are not like lurking in the corner waiting to pounce on you.
  • christiec2015
    Options
    I'm with you. I've been doing great so far. I changed my eating habits at the end of July and haven't cheated once :-) I'd just have a snack whenever I get peckish between meals and that helps a lot. I have been craving white chocolate like MAD though, so I've just got some Cavalier white Belgian chocolate that I have one row of each day when I need it and can fit it into my calories for the day. It's sugar free and tastes exactly like a milky bar! Better than shop ones packed full of sugar! I'm in this for life, so rather than depriving myself, I just find healthier options :smile:
  • krnlmustrd
    krnlmustrd Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wow, after so long, I find myself cheating and going over my calories more often than not. I was looking for a nice motivational challenge to help focus again. I can't believe how this thread turned out... So disappointing. You'd think people around here would be more positive and supporting instead of being so quick to tear people down.

Regardless, I'm going to give it a go and pledge to remain on track for two weeks. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    wow you guys are A-holes. If you guys don't want to join her then don't respond! And she is not shaming it, she's just stating what doesn't work for HER. So lay off.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the way i see it, she is exhibiting terribly orthorexic thinking and inviting others to join her in this terribly orthorexic thinking.

people are responding the way they are because 1) that mindset will hurt her chance of long term success, 2) it's unnecessary, and 3) there is a very high probability that she will binge the minute the 2 weeks are over.

we'd like to help her see that by changing her relationship with food, she can still enjoy all sorts of foods in moderation and still lose weight.

wanna know what the surest recipe for failure is when trying to lose weight? ...it's to attack the problem by following a deprivation diet mentality.

are you freakin serious????? she cheated maybe over did it! and wants to make a freakin pledge to keep her motivated and instead get all kinds of irrelevant freakin bull!! it has nothing to do with mind set relationship with food and wtv else bull u people came up with!! im so sick of this every time i come in a thread i have to get pissed with holier then though know it alls! get over yourselves and live and let live!!

I'm really sick of coming into threads and being accused of being a sugar and wheat shill and an a-hole because I don't think that this type of all or nothing thinking is necessary. We've all got our cross to bear I suppose.

Hi - I guess that you like to read posts where you feel are positive and uplifting and encouraging, and thats nice, i get that. however, when people here see a post that they feel or know is harmful, they are not going to encourage it nor promote it as it would be harmful to do so. So sometimes we need a little rain on our parade if it will save our life.

Not everything is puppies and rainbows and sweetness and light, especially when it has to do with saving someone's life.

I think you misunderstood my post. But thank you for the kind words regardless.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Wow, after so long, I find myself cheating and going over my calories more often than not. I was looking for a nice motivational challenge to help focus again. I can't believe how this thread turned out... So disappointing. You'd think people around here would be more positive and supporting instead of being so quick to tear people down.

Regardless, I'm going to give it a go and pledge to remain on track for two weeks. :)

A world view in which someone views people who give a poster good advice, and are attacked by that poster for doing so, as "quick to tear people down" never fails to amaze me. I truly wonder what type of person develops this world view, but the longer I spend on MFP, the more it becomes crystal clear who these people are.

MFP seems increasingly divided into two ways of looking into things, and they are definitely at odds:

(1) Those that have the mind set to change, are willing to do their research with a critical eye, and listen to others who have gone before them. Many of these folks have struggled their entire lives with their weight and other issues, but finally had something "click" and have changed and/or are in the process of changing. This camp has little to do with what dietary limitations these people have or specific approach they take, and far more to do with a mindset that says "I will succeed," and

(2) those who simply won't change because, all evidence to the contrary, they think they know better than anyone else. These are the ones who constantly use terms and phrases such as "haters," "sabotage," "they're just jealous," etc. They do not seem to understand that others who are now fit and healthy could have ever been where they are today. I personally think that their problem is not the rest of the world, but their own mindset that holds them back and keeps them where they are. Many in camp (1) were once here and through a lot of "tough love" they finally "got it" and moved on.

I truly enjoy MFP, and I truly feel sorry for the group stuck in (2), but they also seem to waste an inordinate amount of everyone else's time and sympathy, while enflaming the forums with rather obnoxious attacks and blaming everyone else as the ones doing the attacking.

Feel free to flame away, but remember that your excuses and anger hurt no one but yourself. Calm your mind and the rest of you will follow.
  • april1445
    Options
    Whoda thunk this innocent challenge could instigate such an emotional response in so many people. Huh.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options

And they are 100% WRONG.

We are not all the same.

OP, good luck on you path. Treating food like an allergy or being this extreme has clearly had a negative effect an I understand that you are trying to manage. You binged.

Perhaps the binging is the result of over restriction. Inspect that idea, take it for a walk.

Good luck.

Yeah, I was just thinking. OP does not have a healthy relationship with food to compare something perfectly healthy like bread to having an allergy. I'm sorry but binging does not kill you.

Binging is often associated with restriction. I binge less if I don't restrict myself to things I love, infact I'm so sick of pizza now, where i used to eat a whole pizza I now only eat a third with half a plate of salad. That was a big binge food for me and now I can fit it in everytime I eat it!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Whoda thunk this innocent challenge could instigate such an emotional response in so many people. Huh.

Max and Ruby :)
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Naaaaah, I can eat anything I like, as long it is in my calories. So I don't binge, because I know I can have it if I really want it. No deprivation = no binge!

Good luck for you though.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

A world view in which someone views people who give a poster good advice, and are attacked by that poster for doing so, as "quick to tear people down" never fails to amaze me. I truly wonder what type of person develops this world view, but the longer I spend on MFP, the more it becomes crystal clear who these people are.

MFP seems increasingly divided into two ways of looking into things, and they are definitely at odds:

(1) Those that have the mind set to change, are willing to do their research with a critical eye, and listen to others who have gone before them. Many of these folks have struggled their entire lives with their weight and other issues, but finally had something "click" and have changed and/or are in the process of changing. This camp has little to do with what dietary limitations these people have or specific approach they take, and far more to do with a mindset that says "I will succeed," and

(2) those who simply won't change because, all evidence to the contrary, they think they know better than anyone else. These are the ones who constantly use terms and phrases such as "haters," "sabotage," "they're just jealous," etc. They do not seem to understand that others who are now fit and healthy could have ever been where they are today. I personally think that their problem is not the rest of the world, but their own mindset that holds them back and keeps them where they are. Many in camp (1) were once here and through a lot of "tough love" they finally "got it" and moved on.

I truly enjoy MFP, and I truly feel sorry for the group stuck in (2), but they also seem to waste an inordinate amount of everyone else's time and sympathy, while enflaming the forums with rather obnoxious attacks and blaming everyone else as the ones doing the attacking.

Feel free to flame away, but remember that your excuses and anger hurt no one but yourself. Calm your mind and the rest of you will follow.

OP wasn't looking for yours or anyone else's advice. But you are so wise, and you know all. Please.....teach us more.
This discussion has been closed.