Calling All Rowers

Options
It's the Concept 2 Virtual Team Challenge time again.

If you're not already affiliated with a team on the C2 logbokk websiteconsider joining MFP's motley crew The Stavarians (formerly MFP Friends) and see how many metres you can log kicking off the new year (bike erg & ski erg metres count too)

https://log.concept2.com/team

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I think I'd just drag you down. Is this more a total meters thing, or average per person?

My former team is quite inactive these days, but I tend to back off machine rowing after the holiday challenge, and I'm having some shoulder issues right now so may row only an even more limited amount. I do have some compensatory BikeErg meters, though, and it looks like those do count half in this challenge.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I might not be smart enough to join - can’t find a team named Stavarians in the C2 logbook! Send me a hint and I’m happy to join
  • justlog2day
    justlog2day Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I might not be smart enough to join - can’t find a team named Stavarians in the C2 logbook! Send me a hint and I’m happy to join

Ditto
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think I'd just drag you down. Is this more a total meters thing, or average per person?

My former team is quite inactive these days, but I tend to back off machine rowing after the holiday challenge, and I'm having some shoulder issues right now so may row only an even more limited amount. I do have some compensatory BikeErg meters, though, and it looks like those do count half in this challenge.

Hi Ann, it's a total metres thing so they all help!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

My atrocious typing......it's Stravarians. Mea culpa.....
  • justlog2day
    Options

My atrocious typing......it's Stravarians. Mea culpa.....

I'm in.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Hi Ann, it's a total metres thing so they all help!

Joined - thanks!
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Done - good way to get my butt back on the erg…now just got to find it under the laundry…
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    .As of this evening, the team seems to be at #205 for total meters, and #203 for average meters, out of 717 teams. Not bad, for a field this big with some truly intense C2 row/bike/ski people, and some big teams in the mix.

Looks like other folks here could still sign up through January 16.

Details here:

https://log.concept2.com/challenges/vtc
  • justlog2day
    Options
    You're doing great, Ann!
  • Rich_SC
    Rich_SC Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Joined!
  • justlog2day
    Options
    Today ends the challenge. I gave it my best shot. Last few days were shorter for me as Covid made a return guest appearance in our home.

Ann - you are amazing! For as many times as I thought I might possibly catch up - I realized it was nothing more than a pipedream.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Today ends the challenge. I gave it my best shot. Last few days were shorter for me as Covid made a return guest appearance in our home.

Ann - you are amazing! For as many times as I thought I might possibly catch up - I realized it was nothing more than a pipedream.

That's so kind of you to say! I generally feel like a duffer, initially was concerned I might drag the team down, but I guess it worked out OK. I'm surprised, especially given that I seem to be the oldest one on the team (though being retired does add schedule flexibility).

I think the team has done great, especially for such a small team, both in total and average meters.

I'm guessing you might be the person who's been in the slot just below me meters-wise, but really close? If that's you, that's a lot of rowing to fit into regular life! Actually, most of the team have done an impressive job, IMO.

I have to admit, mine were mostly BikeErg meters, but Concept 2 counts those (at a 50% discount) in the challenges, so I stayed in the team anyway. Early in the month I started to having a minor rotator cuff irritation issue, and both my osteopath and my physical therapist suggested I lay off rowing for a while, even though it only hurt a little . . . not on the drive, but on the turnaround into the recovery, which is weird, huh?

I'm lucky to have both RowErg (since around 2004) and BikeErg (pandemic purchase) at home, so it's easier to fit in workouts. And the bike is even easier to fit in than the rower, since I can do some things while biking to multitask. (I'm taking a virtual class, visual journaling related, so I can watch class videos while I bike, for example.)

Most of my challenge meters have been 60' bike + 3' cool down, manageable pace, 6 days a week. It would've been harder to get equivalent rowing meters, probably would've been 45km lower if I'd been on my normal Winter routine of alternating bike and row, or around 90km lower if just rowing . . . and I'm not sure I'd actually accomplish sticking with 6 days if row-only, TBH.

In Winter, I try to do something 6 days most weeks. Last couple of years I'd alternate rowing and biking, throw in some lifting after the Holiday Challenge. I don't love the Winter routine, but if I don't keep it up, I'd arrive at the season for my beloved on-water rowing (and paved-trail biking) needing to start conditioning from near zero, and that's not fun.

The older I get, the faster deconditioning happens, and the slower to rebuild, seems like. The change is gradual, but I think it's sadly true.

Thanks for your kind remarks, and for letting me join the team! 😊

• justlog2day
    Options

That's so kind of you to say! I generally feel like a duffer, initially was concerned I might drag the team down, but I guess it worked out OK. I'm surprised, especially given that I seem to be the oldest one on the team (though being retired does add schedule flexibility).

I think the team has done great, especially for such a small team, both in total and average meters.

I'm guessing you might be the person who's been in the slot just below me meters-wise, but really close? If that's you, that's a lot of rowing to fit into regular life! Actually, most of the team have done an impressive job, IMO.

I have to admit, mine were mostly BikeErg meters, but Concept 2 counts those (at a 50% discount) in the challenges, so I stayed in the team anyway. Early in the month I started to having a minor rotator cuff irritation issue, and both my osteopath and my physical therapist suggested I lay off rowing for a while, even though it only hurt a little . . . not on the drive, but on the turnaround into the recovery, which is weird, huh?

I'm lucky to have both RowErg (since around 2004) and BikeErg (pandemic purchase) at home, so it's easier to fit in workouts. And the bike is even easier to fit in than the rower, since I can do some things while biking to multitask. (I'm taking a virtual class, visual journaling related, so I can watch class videos while I bike, for example.)

Most of my challenge meters have been 60' bike + 3' cool down, manageable pace, 6 days a week. It would've been harder to get equivalent rowing meters, probably would've been 45km lower if I'd been on my normal Winter routine of alternating bike and row, or around 90km lower if just rowing . . . and I'm not sure I'd actually accomplish sticking with 6 days if row-only, TBH.

In Winter, I try to do something 6 days most weeks. Last couple of years I'd alternate rowing and biking, throw in some lifting after the Holiday Challenge. I don't love the Winter routine, but if I don't keep it up, I'd arrive at the season for my beloved on-water rowing (and paved-trail biking) needing to start conditioning from near zero, and that's not fun.

The older I get, the faster deconditioning happens, and the slower to rebuild, seems like. The change is gradual, but I think it's sadly true.

Thanks for your kind remarks, and for letting me join the team! 😊

Yes.. that's me..

Oh boy, can I relate to what I bolded in your post in spades!!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    As of today, when result should be final, the team is sitting at #237 out of 751 virtual teams for total meters, even as a 7-member team in a field where the top few teams have several hundred members; the highest-total team with only seven members is #96. We're #236 in meters per person.

I'd call that respectable, for a team that's all-virtual, and AFAIK not mostly machine-rowing-only athletes.

Thanks for including me!