September Cycling Challenge 2013

Options
Can you believe that September is here? Welcome to our September Cycling thread! If you're seeing this for the first time, Welcome! This is a thread for cyclists of all shapes and sizes. We have some very experienced riders who are doing some serious distances. We have riders who are just getting into cycling, many riding bikes for the first time since childhood. We welcome Everyone. Mountain Bikers? Road Riders? Commuters? Spinners? Trailer Pullers? Everyone is welcome.

You may post anything that motivates you. Many people copy and paste to keep a running total. Some people use a ticker to track their rides. You may track time, distance, soreness, crashes (that's me, sadly). Whatever makes you want to push the pedal is what you should track.

The most important thing that I want to say: whatever your level, you are welcome. I have lost people in the past who said that they didn't feel like they could keep up with the rides of others. If you are riding a bike for the first time and can barely make it past the driveway, we welcome you, we encourage you, and we want you to join us on this journey.

Replies

• Harborjay
    Options
    HI, I'm new to MFP, and to living a healthier lifestyle. I was recently diagnosed diabetic and decided to change my habits. I need to lose about 50 pounds and hopefully the meds they put me on. I have always liked riding but now do most of it on a Schwinn Recumbent bike. I have currently set my goals at 100 miles a week. I hope to help support anyone that may need it and to receive the motivation and support that I sometimes require (mostly mornings...). I will be looking forward to posting my progress. Good Luck to all!!
  • alisonsurf
    alisonsurf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well I don't ride a real bike but I do need to get back in the saddle on my spin cycle. I would like to ride twice a week for 30 intense minutes of intervals. So that make my goal for September 80 miles and 4 hours!
  • heidicalif
    heidicalif Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hello! So excited to join!

My name is Heidi and I still ride the 1991 Specialized Rock Hopper I got brand new in middle school. Along with hiking in the mountains biking is my absolute favorite way to exercise. I joined MFP in June and last month I joined the MYA challenge riding 169.566 miles. That was definitely a personal record for me -- I don't think I've ever even come close to a 100 miles in a month before. I have three kids, ages 10, 5, and 2. Many of my miles last month were logged with my 10 year old son, and our longest ride together was 18 miles around our hilly (6000ft elevation) neighborhood. I am so proud of him! We ride our bikes to elementary school most days, and I try to add on a couple of miles after drop-off/before pick-up each day, though in 90+ degree weather pulling a trailer with my 2 year old it's not much lately. I haven't picked a goal for September so far. I love to bike, but realize I need to start putting some effort into my upper body.

I look forward to hearing about your biking adventures!
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!!! Did open water swim today but back on the road tomorrow..... Can't wait to see how far I get this month. Last month was 500 and got to 570..... Lets wait and see....

Thanks for setting this up CricketKate... :):flowerforyou:
  • faugsu
    faugsu Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thank you for setting this up! I have used the MFP app a long time, but just recently looked at the community on my laptop ---- and went "public". This cycling challenge is great. I'm looking forward to being here for a 2nd month. I know this is helping me, and from what I've read here, it's also helping many others!
  • cbattles516
    cbattles516 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP now for a month, trying to shed some much needed pounds (at least 80) and get my fitness level up. 2 years ago -- in another bout of failed good intentions -- I bought a new Bianchi Volpe set up as a cyclocross bike. Well As I started this journey in the beginning of August, I dusted it off, put air in the tires, and hit the road. I got about 80 miles in in August and would like to up that to at least 150 miles in September. While it's tough to push my 280 lbs around (even small hills are brutal), all I can say is it gets easier as my fitness level increases and the weight drops off. My main goal is to get down to a weight that I can start riding my road bike again and enjoy the scenery around me. But that'll need to wait for another 40 lbs or so. In the meantime I'm going to keep slogging away on the flat trails/roads around me on my Bianchi. So count me in for the September Challenge!

http://www.strava.com/athletes/2800490
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Please count me in on this challenge

I recently completed a cycle ride from London to Paris with my wife and I lost in the region of 6llbs in 4- 5 days, this sounds a long way to ride BUT my wife had never cycled that distance before and it was a great journey being able to cycle through the French countryside and then into Versaille http://en.chateauversailles.fr/homepage and then through the forests that surround Paris. Seeing the Eiffel tower for the first time while we were about 10 miles way from the centre of Paris was such a wonderful moment

My advice to anyone beginning cycling is just start small, ride to the end of your street, road and back again and progress from there

if anyone would like to friend me please feel free
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP now for a month, trying to shed some much needed pounds (at least 80) and get my fitness level up. 2 years ago -- in another bout of failed good intentions -- I bought a new Bianchi Volpe set up as a cyclocross bike. Well As I started this journey in the beginning of August, I dusted it off, put air in the tires, and hit the road. I got about 80 miles in in August and would like to up that to at least 150 miles in September. While it's tough to push my 280 lbs around (even small hills are brutal), all I can say is it gets easier as my fitness level increases and the weight drops off. My main goal is to get down to a weight that I can start riding my road bike again and enjoy the scenery around me. But that'll need to wait for another 40 lbs or so. In the meantime I'm going to keep slogging away on the flat trails/roads around me on my Bianchi. So count me in for the September Challenge!

Awesome! It does get easier. I still find myself huffing and puffing and feeling like I can't make it, but it is Wonderful feeling to fly by places that I used to stop for rests. It is an even better feeling to realize that I have passed a rest spot and didn't even notice.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Please count me in on this challenge

I recently completed a cycle ride from London to Paris with my wife and I lost in the region of 6llbs in 4- 5 days, this sounds a long way to ride BUT my wife had never cycled that distance before and it was a great journey being able to cycle through the French countryside and then into Versaille http://en.chateauversailles.fr/homepage and then through the forests that surround Paris. Seeing the Eiffel tower for the first time while we were about 10 miles way from the centre of Paris was such a wonderful moment

My advice to anyone beginning cycling is just start small, ride to the end of your street, road and back again and progress from there

if anyone would like to friend me please feel free

That sounds incredible!
  • rockstar53
    rockstar53 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am happy to find this post!! Pretty much fell in love with cycling again after many years. I am up to 16km rides 2x's a week, with shorter rides in between. I am from canada and hoping to continue biking for at least another month, maybe 2 before the snow hits! My goal is to keep improving and going for as many rides as I can because I enjoy it so much!!
  • matyj
    Options
    I will definitely be taking part in this. Bought a road bike at the end of last year and thanks to a very good summer here in the UK, have been riding it quite a lot. I've noticed I've been getting fitter as the year has gone on, starting with small rides and gradually increasing. One thing I have been doing is using my average speed as an indication of how my fitness is improving. I started around 14mph and I'm now up to 16mph on most rides with longer more challenging rides being a little lower than that. Only problem is that now I'm fitter, it's getting near winter but I've got another month or two to carry on riding before I switch to the turbo trainer.
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am not going to set a target for this month as I find it then becomes hard work instead of just getting on the bike and riding until I can't ride any further with a big smile on my face, most of my miles are done on a canal towpath so it is not safe to go fast with all the children walking down there but at my age that suits me just fine :happy:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/368809490
    Count:
    1 Activities
    Distance:
    45.12 mi
    Time:
    3:26:21 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:
    928 ft
    Avg Speed:
    13.1 mph
    Avg HR:
    122 bpm
    Calories:
    2,978 C
    Max Distance:
    45.12 m
  • autumnlily31185
    autumnlily31185 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Back in for another month =) It is great to see some new faces and of course some familiar ones too!

Goal for Sept will hopefully be 266 miles, but will be starting work in about two weeks, so a more realistic goal might be 200 miles. I also have to spend more time on strength training and upper body, so we shall see how things work out
  • mlove351
    mlove351 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Count me in. My goal is 200 miles this Sep. Last month I did 150miles...
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I am not going to set a target for this month as I find it then becomes hard work instead of just getting on the bike and riding until I can't ride any further with a big smile on my face, most of my miles are done on a canal towpath so it is not safe to go fast with all the children walking down there but at my age that suits me just fine :happy:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/368809490
    Count:
    1 Activities
    Distance:
    45.12 mi
    Time:
    3:26:21 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:
    928 ft
    Avg Speed:
    13.1 mph
    Avg HR:
    122 bpm
    Calories:
    2,978 C
    Max Distance:
    45.12 m
    45 miles already!?!? It's 9pm here in the uk now and I'm gagging to get on my bike to start this months count..... I'm too competitive for my own good I must admit ...
    First open water swim today... That's me done for today :)
  • cbattles516
    cbattles516 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Time to start the challenge :)
    Didn't really want to, but went out for a ride today anyway....

16.5mi
    Distance
    171ft
    Elevation (?)
    01:11:03
    Moving Time
    Calories
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies! This is a fantastic thread each month. You'll find plenty of inspiration and support here. Thanks, CricketKate, for getting us going again. I've increased my goal by 10% because I've been going over my goal all summer. For health reasons, I cannot push myself as an athlete would, but I can still strive for some improvement until I'm certain I've met my limit.

I ride (road) a 15 year old Schwinn that I think is a mountain bike or a hybrid. It has the 26" wheels and fatter knobbly tires but the bike body itself isn't fat. It has 21 speeds, but I only use two because I don't do hills. :)

9/1 - 5.1 miles in the heat of the day.

MTD - 5.1 miles.
    Goal for September - 110 miles.
    Remaining - 104.9 miles.
  • sunshine755
    Options
    yay.....count me in
  • Harborjay
    Options
    Sept. is now underway...

9-1
    AM ride 11.4 miles