Runners - Outside or Inside?

Options
13»

Replies

• godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I'm a fair weather runner. Outside when it's nice, inside when it's not. I also do all new distances on the treadmill first. For some reason, it gives me confidence to do it outside. :)
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    outside! I love it for the fresh air & the visual stimulation. It's just more fun than a treadmill. Only i wish there was a nice running path near me. My body can only handle so much pounding on concrete so my running is limited to once or twice a week.

edit: actually, i should say outside if it is spring fall or summer....in the winter i don't get out much. I can't handle the bitter cold.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Outside unless I have absolutely no other choice.
  • pkbryant28
    pkbryant28 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Outside. Only time I ever ran on a treadmill was when I had my feet checked out for fitting running shoes and the clerk was rolling on the floor laughing at my desperate attempts to keep balance.

This is what is preventing me from going to get fitted. I cannot run in a 2 x 4 box and if I did I would be so focused on staying inside that little box that I would not be running with my true stride.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Outside if I get up early enough to do it. Once it hits 8 am, it's 90 degrees or close to it and it only gets worse from there. So inside between the hours of 9 AM to 9 PM.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Outside -- I hate trying to run on a treadmill. I've run in rain, snow, sun, cold, etc. and would rather be outside than on the mill. As soon as my ankle heals up I'll be back at it once again ....
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Outside, always. Treadmills are boring and Idh a gym membership. Outside, at least there's some.changing scenery.
  • daver38
    daver38 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do both; tend to do intervals and speed work at the gym over 5K, then do outside runs a couple of times a week. I prefer the outdoors on balance, though.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Outside definitely, but last winter I found I had no where to go in the winter and wanted my treadmill back. Outside is such a different experience.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Inside. I typically run on the TM at home and at the gym. While I like to run outside where I live there's gnats, mosquitos, deer flies, and horse flies which really put a huge damper on running. Not to mention the comedic aspect of me flailing my arms in an attempt to ward off those bugs while trying to stay focused on my run. Also if it's not insufferably hot then it's freezing cold out. I refuse to run outside in the winter because I'm not really in to slipping on ice and breaking something.
  • Nimadi486
    Nimadi486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Outside! I love running hills outside! It's a way better workout on the treadmill. If you are just getting back into running maybe try starting on the treadmill and then moving outside?
  • pkbryant28
    pkbryant28 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am a new runner and I prefer to run outside but it is just too hot and humid here right now so I have been running inside at the indoor track. (I am a student and have a beautiful gym with a great indoor track at my school.) In cooler weather (under 90) I love to run my neighborhood. I cannot run on a treadmill, well actually I have never tried but I just do not think that I can stay inside a 2 x 4 area, do not even want to attempt it.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I've only been consistently running since May, but outside of doing a quick half mile or mile every now and they on the TM before lifting at the gym, ALL of my running has been outside. I plan to run outside for as long as possible....depending on Mother Nature, that could end in October or in December (I might be able to get a day outside in here or there, but the snow will dictate). My fiance and I snowmobile, so I'm really torn on hoping for an easy winter (so I can run) or a killer winter (so we can ride). LOL! :laugh:
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I only started running about 2 months ago - I've only gone outside - don't know what I will do when it gets cold (I'm in Canada - with lots of snow and ice and cold - YUCK!)
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Outdoors! Except I'm a clutz, so I'll go outside in the cold, but I don't like wearing traction devices for ice. Outside except on ice!
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Outside is my preference. I get bored on the treadmill and I must run different on it, because my shins hurt or hurt more when I run on one. I like being able to vary my routes as well.
  • monbot
    monbot Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I run outside. My dogs and I love it. The sounds, the smells and the sun! And the best part is... My dogs know the routine, so the days I don't feel like running, my dogs wait at the back door with their puppy dog eyes, giving me the guilts until I through my hands up in the air and say "alright, alright - we'll go running!!"