I cant lose weight!

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I am astounded by many of the responses so far...

...and I'm only through page one. I'm going to try to read the other pages, but first, I need to step away for a moment and gather my thoughts.

ETA: Egads.

OP, I mean this sincerely: I suggest you start a new thread with the hope that it doesn't go so quickly and markedly off the rails. This is a perfect storm of some of the worst MFP forum advice I've seen in a while...and it's coming from so many angles. It isn't your fault, but seriously, play a mulligan and try this again.

ETAM: Dagnabbit! Zombie thread bumped by a spammer.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    any Paleolithic humans who engaged in nutritionally motivated hunting would have done so in order to increase their food energy intake in order to maintain or gain weight, not in order to achieve weight loss… In view of this, the "Paleo diet" theory that overfed sedentary modern humans who need to lose excess adipose should regularly eat the fatty flesh and eggs found in supermarkets because active, underfed, extremely lean prehistoric people who struggled to meet their basic kcaloric needs ate lean game flesh or eggs whenever possible lacks basic credibility.

Considering the evidence it is not surprising that many of the prominent proponents of Low-Carb and Paleo diets who have not partaken in caloric restriction have gained considerable amounts of weight while adhering to such diets.

Do not eat more protein. The elephant is a large animal with large bones and fine tusks of ivory. It does not get fat but will not fit into the supermarket doorway. It eats grass leaves and thorns. You asked for advice - mine is consume starches like potatoes and rice and lots of green vegetables, oats and fruits.

Log into J McDougall MD and follow his newsletter for a healthy heart. Keep your calories down to 1200 per day. Eat real foods and avoid processed foods. Do not consume any diet drinks nor anything with artificial sweeteners like asparteme because they can increase your weight due to interfering with your senses. Ask me any questions you like.
    NO!!! Just no!!
    IXvevVd.gif

Read this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

ETA: Damn this is an old thread, who bumped it?

RE: That gif...
    tumblr_m1obh9qx731qdxypao2_400.gif

Too late...
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    you are a teenager and not a morbidly or even severely obese one. Stop trying to lose weight while your body is probably still trying to add height. Girls stop growing around 15 or 16. Guys stop growing around 19 or 20. I have two brothers who put on 3 inches of height between high school graduation and 20 and another who put on 2.
    By all means exercise if you want to. But please stop starving your body. My guess is you'll be surprised what happens in a year or so.
  • mybelovedrebel
    mybelovedrebel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    any Paleolithic humans who engaged in nutritionally motivated hunting would have done so in order to increase their food energy intake in order to maintain or gain weight, not in order to achieve weight loss… In view of this, the "Paleo diet" theory that overfed sedentary modern humans who need to lose excess adipose should regularly eat the fatty flesh and eggs found in supermarkets because active, underfed, extremely lean prehistoric people who struggled to meet their basic kcaloric needs ate lean game flesh or eggs whenever possible lacks basic credibility.

Considering the evidence it is not surprising that many of the prominent proponents of Low-Carb and Paleo diets who have not partaken in caloric restriction have gained considerable amounts of weight while adhering to such diets.

Do not eat more protein. The elephant is a large animal with large bones and fine tusks of ivory. It does not get fat but will not fit into the supermarket doorway. It eats grass leaves and thorns. You asked for advice - mine is consume starches like potatoes and rice and lots of green vegetables, oats and fruits.

Log into J McDougall MD and follow his newsletter for a healthy heart. Keep your calories down to 1200 per day. Eat real foods and avoid processed foods. Do not consume any diet drinks nor anything with artificial sweeteners like asparteme because they can increase your weight due to interfering with your senses. Ask me any questions you like.
    Do not listen to this!

You're a 5'8" 18 year old male. You need a lot more than 1200 calories.

Not to mention that at his age he is still growing, albeit more slowly than when he was younger. He is still growing into his body, so nutritious food is still important to finishing growing healthfully.

My advice here would be to get an assessment by a nutritionist and a physical with your doctor. Find out from actual medical people if you need to lose weight, how much, and what they thing of your training plan. Nutritionists are expensive but a lot of YMCAs have one on staff for consultants (mine does) and that would be a great way to get your diet assessed and to make sure that 1. you are at a healthy weight. 2. You are getting enough nutrients to finish growing 3. If you are losing out on nutrients that would help you be fitter and healthier, that you add them in.
  • mhematia
    mhematia Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As a nutritionist, I can honestly say that it does matter where your calories come from. Your body burns off carbohydrates and protein much easier than fats. Fats are used for energy storage while carbohydrates are used for readily available fuel which can be burned off.

I would say pay attention to your macro-nutrients, try to have your breakdown as 25 % of your calories coming from protein, 20% coming from fats and 55% coming from carbohydrates. Also try to limit your simple carbohydrates.

Do this for a while and you'll notice a difference. Also breaking up meals is a must. Try to eat small but frequent meals throughout the day. Nothing to eat within an hour of bed.

Best of luck !

Cheers
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    As a nutritionist, I can honestly say that it does matter where your calories come from. Your body burns off carbohydrates and protein much easier than fats. Fats are used for energy storage while carbohydrates are used for readily available fuel which can be burned off.

I would say pay attention to your macro-nutrients, try to have your breakdown as 25 % of your calories coming from protein, 20% coming from fats and 55% coming from carbohydrates. Also try to limit your simple carbohydrates.

Do this for a while and you'll notice a difference. Also breaking up meals is a must. Try to eat small but frequent meals throughout the day. Nothing to eat within an hour of bed.

Best of luck !

Cheers

I'm dumbfounded. Truly.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Best of luck !

Cheers

As a nutritionist, you should consider a change of occupation.

+1.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

Best of luck !

Cheers

+1.

It is a shame that nutrtionists are taught such things and then pass them on to others. Macros matter because of the hormonal effects, not that one does not burn off as easily as another.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you truly have "tried everything" and you are logging accurately. Consider that maybe, just maybe, WHAT you eat matters.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You're diary is really inaccurate. Try not to use the "quick add" calories option until you are already losing weight. It is a next to useless tool and you may be estimating way under what you are really eating.

1. Try eating 80% fresh food. Right now it looks like you eat about 20%. You'll have to work up to it, so maybe start with breakfast of eggs scrambled with veggies and beans, and a piece of fresh fruit. Maybe add in some greek yogurt or cottage cheese for extra protein. Getting breakfast right will set the tone for the rest of your day.

2. Add a serving of vegetables to every meal. A serving is small, only 1/2 cup cooked or 1 cup raw. Corn and peas are even better than no vegetables at all.

3. Cardio is good for weight loss. Unless you have an injury or other medical reason to not do cardio, work up a sweat! Sweat is your fat cells crying!

unnecessary

Thanks for explaining why this advice is not necessary. That's super helpful!

Trust me, it sure the hell won't hurt anyone to eat fresh and healthy foods. And yes, it does speed weight loss when people fill up on fresh foods versus eating take out and fast food all the time.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Best of luck !

Cheers

+1.

It is a shame that nutrtionists are taught such things and then pass them on to others. Macros matter because of the hormonal effects, not that one does not burn off as easily as another.

Wow. I have been bombarded all my life with the wrong advice from nutritionists, doctors, weight loss programs, but this one takes the cake. The low fat myth is DEAD. 20% calories from fat? 55% from carbs? And eat small, frequent meals... such BS. You should be sued for malpractice. Look around, following this advice has made people sicker and fatter. Please. Stop.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of cardio. I have heard of people not losing weight because they are doing too much cardio.

I'm no expert. But my advice would be to try 1 hour of cardio and your strength training. Try that for a few weeks and see what happens. If you still don't lose, try 30-45 mins of cardio and your strength training.

Just what I've heard from some people! Can't speak from experience. Good luck :)

This is misinformation you have fallen victim to. There is absolutely no way that too much exercise ( cardio or otherwise ) keeps a person from losing weight. The only thing keeping a person from losing weight as in the case of the OP is not being in the calorie deficit he thinks he is.
    False. Too much exercise can absolutely stall weight loss, as it raises cortisol, and elevated cortisol levels will stall weight loss, and eventually can cause weight gain. It's a stress response. This is one reason why rest days are important.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Best of luck !

Cheers

+1.

Wow. I have been bombarded all my life with the wrong advice from nutritionists, doctors, weight loss programs, but this one takes the cake. The low fat myth is DEAD. 20% calories from fat? 55% from carbs? And eat small, frequent meals... such BS. You should be sued for malpractice. Look around, following this advice has made people sicker and fatter. Please. Stop.

That's why if I recommend someone to consult a professional, it'll be a registered dietitian...not a nutritionist who probably took a 14 week online course to get "certified" lol.
  • Rashmi_mishra
    Rashmi_mishra Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    you are eating too less - calculate your TDEE , BMR and what you should eat using this site. Think about getting a fitbit or something similar - it really put the guessing out of my activity level on a day to day basis..

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice the thread date, derp derp never mind.
  • mhematia
    Options
    I actually do have my RD licence and I am part of a licensed medical weight loss clinic which is sponsored by the government. I work alongside physicians which have a specialty in internal medicine and we work with patients every day who have lost weight in a healthy way following our guidelines. If you don't like the advice, don't take it but you do not need to attack others.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I actually do have my RD licence and I am part of a licensed medical weight loss clinic which is sponsored by the government. I work alongside physicians which have a specialty in internal medicine and we work with patients every day who have lost weight in a healthy way following our guidelines. If you don't like the advice, don't take it but you do not need to attack others.

Oh? there are a couple of registered dietitians here on MFP. Care to let us verify this? The other dietiian on MFP, Tony, was more than willing to let us double check that he really is a registered dietitian and MFP has their own that blogs. :smile
  • mhematia
    Options
    You can look at the Canadian college's website, all dietitians are registered there just as the physicians. All the information is available for public viewing.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    You can look at the Canadian college's website, all dietitians are registered there just as the physicians. All the information is available for public viewing.

Okay....so is your user name the name in which to search to verify you are a RD?

ETA: And most RD's (which have been 4-5) that I've come across tend to recommend 0.8 -1g per LBM and only suggest the smaller meals if someone has troubles with just the "norm" 3 large meals.

And none would refer to themselves as a nutritionist if they were an actual RD. And would not tell someone to put emphasis on macros while completely leaving out the importance of watching their overall calorie intake because they know that no matter if you hit your macros, if you are eating at a surplus you will gain.