Deloading tips?

Options
Would 2 days instead of 4 still be an effective deload and some cardio? Or should I perform the 4 day upper/lower split at lower volume?

It's been 9 weeks since I deloaded, and missed 1 day since. My back seems to be tweaking out and I think my body is getting fatigued. I've made upped the weight these past couple weeks too. So I think I need to deload this week?

(I've been lifting for a couple years but seriously this past year).

Thanks!

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,644 Member
    Options
    I would deload until you feel like you’re ready to hit it hard again. Everyone has a different recovery timeline. You can generally keep doing what you’re doing for smaller muscle groups as the compounds are the ones that will normally necessitate a deload.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    I'm age 45 and have been lifting regular since 2009. I normally take a lighter week every 4 weeks, so 3 weeks heavy 1 week same lifts but drop 10-20% weight. Then every three months, in addition to the light week, I take the week off from lifting completely, either cardio only or nothing at all. During this week off I will assess whether I need to change up my routine.
  • MuffinTopMan74
    MuffinTopMan74 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am new to weightlifting at the age of 48. Also, I have only been lifting for about seven weeks, doing a basic beginner routine. From what I understand from everything I have read is that some lift will take an entire week off and come back with an adjusted routine. The whole week off is the key; it lets everything heal, including joints, ligaments, tendons, and cartilage. The adjusted routine for you would be different than mine. Since your back is fatiguing, instead of squats, you could do Sumo raises with heavy DBs. Or, if you are not getting enough recovery time, switch to a 3-day routine, increasing recovery from 48 to 72 hours.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I am new to weightlifting at the age of 48. Also, I have only been lifting for about seven weeks, doing a basic beginner routine. From what I understand from everything I have read is that some lift will take an entire week off and come back with an adjusted routine. The whole week off is the key; it lets everything heal, including joints, ligaments, tendons, and cartilage.
    At your age, and I'm just slightly older, that probably makes sense to take the full week off. My understanding though is that a deload week can mean no lifting, or it can mean about 50% of your previous working weight. How frequently a deload is needed is going to depend on your program, your progress, etc. Once every 4-12 weeks is probably sensible.
  • nossmf
    Options
    My understanding though is that a deload week can mean no lifting, or it can mean about 50% of your previous working weight.

Deload weeks come in a variety of flavors:
    ...same sets/reps but lower the weight
    ...same sets/weight but lower reps
    ...same reps/weight but lower sets
    ...cut by 10%...25%...50%...
    ...take the week off completely
    ...swap from heavy singles/doubles to sets of 8-10

...and a whole host of other options. The point is simply to have a week where you do not push yourself to the same extreme as normal.
  • christinefrano
    christinefrano Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So by doing 2 days instead of 4, should I still lower the intensity of the 2 days or no?

Thanks everyone!
  • nossmf
    Options
    I'm slightly confused...are you asking about taking two days off versus four? Or are you asking about exercising 2 days in a row vs 4 days in a row?
  • christinefrano
    Options
    Sorry, lol! I'm asking if working out 2 days this week instead of 4 is okay, and if I should lower the weight on those 2 days?

I did my upper yesterday and decreased the weight by 15-20% and will hit a lower tomorrow. Should I limit cardio as well? Just my normal 7-10k steps?
  • nossmf
    Options
    I think lifting only twice with decreased weights is excellent idea. You should be good to keep your cardio the same as normal, or feel free to reduce it as well. (When I take my week-long break from the gym every 3 months, the only lifting I do is fork to mouth, the only cardio is walking to the fridge, lol.)
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I do one less set of each exercise and reduce the weight. Usually by about 20 per cent. I also rarely work at more than an RPE 8. My deloads are built into the programme I am following. Sometimes if I feel really beat up I take a full week off training. Been lifting for 7 years do a week off Its no big deal in that context. My progress at this stage is slow, but it’s still progress. I’d rather rest and recover than push through and risk injury or over training.
  • christinefrano
    Options
    Thank you so much guys! My back/body is starting to feel better. Scheduling a massage and doing yoga this week to help the recovery.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    @nossmf What's your position on calorie intake during a deload week? Keep aiming for the same deficit (i.e. consuming fewer calories if fewer workouts are done so the net deficit is the same), or go to maintenance for that week to improve healing potential?
  • nossmf
    Options
    @retroguy2000, I eat the exact same whether I workout or not. The only consistent difference is drinking a protein shake after lifting. Means my lifting days I have a slightly larger deficit than idle days.

That said, I have to be honest in saying my calorie consumption goes up during my scheduled week off, but that's a product of when in the year it occurs. My June break coincides with my annual week camping, where I eat a ton but also burn a ton through hiking. My December break includes Christmas, and I know I enjoy a ton of cookies and other treats. March and September stay at same deficit, I guess.
  • christinefrano
    Options
    @nossmf How often do you recommend an indeterminate lifter take a deload week? :)
  • nossmf
    Options
    I presume you mean "intermediate" as in better than rookie, less than expert. I'm flattered you're asking me, but do realize I'm not a certified trainer, just an avid lifter. That said, IMHO, I take a deload week every month where I'm lifting lighter weights, and a deload week every 3 months where I take the week away from the gym completely. I've been lifting regularly for 14 years, consider myself intermediate since I lift for health, not for a job or competition.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    I committed the cardinal sin on Friday of breaking Never Skip Leg Day. I just wasn't feeling it. And I realized it's been eight weeks since my last deload. I think I'm due. I had a good leg workout on Saturday instead, but I'll take half a week off and then do half a week at around 60% volume.
  • nossmf
    Options
    This is one of the reasons I do leg day on Monday, when I'm fresh and less likely to skip it. I then schedule my favorite workout of the week for the last day of the week, so my desire to do my favorite routine is enough to get me in the gym despite any fatigue.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    ^ Makes sense.

That sort of scheduling wouldn't work for me though, since I work out at home every other day, upper/lower split, so the day of the week changes all the time. I've been good at maintaining that schedule for eight weeks.
  • christinefrano
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I do legs on Monday too!!

I had a great deload week, but after getting two solid workouts in this week I got the rona! :( Ugh, I just want to lift!!!
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    ^ That sucks, and unfortunate timing. Hope you get better soon.

I can't give advice on how long to wait before working out (I saw your other thread), since I am immune. Seriously, I've never had symptoms or tested positive, despite close calls like spending an hour in a car with someone who had symptoms and tested positive <24 hours later, and living with someone while they had symptoms for days.