WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,067 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!
    I did my dumbbell routine with added knee exercises. Yay!

And I ate 1083 calories, for a calorie deficit of 309 Yay!

Pip you are such an excellent dog parent!

Annie in Delaware
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Belinda – I hear your daughter. We lived in the Poconos before moving to NC. The people freak at just the mention of the “s” word. Just its mention brings EVERYTHING to a halt. It’s just funny. But the bad part is that people don’t know how to drive in the snow. They seem to think that if they have 4 wheel drive, they can go anywhere. And people do buy 4 wheel drive. When we knew we were moving to NC, we bought a vehicle specifically without 4 wheel drive and we’ve never once missed it.

Walked 6 times around the parking lot. With it so dark, I really don’t want to go out of the parking lot. At first I went 4 times around, this time 6 times around, I’m thinking that maybe the next time I’ll do 8 times around.

Tomorrow after the pilates exercise, I’m thinking that I’ll take a walk to a grocery store. I’ve done it before so I’m sure I can do it again. And I want to go before it gets real warm. One thing I want to get is meat to make a beef and barley casserole for Vince. I’ll have something else. Need to check to see if I need any spices.

Michele NC in FL and loving it
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies! :)

Machka: Take time to definitely enjoy your time off. Working at 64 years old has presented some unique challenges for me. I guess I’ve experienced a lot and know the ultimate outcome of most actions. I just ordered a copy of “Microsoft 365 for Dummies” because I am having trouble changing the way I’ve used software in the past. I am finding that I have to keep a changed mindset for myself especially when working with much younger people. I find myself constantly saying to myself “I remember when I acted or thought that way.” I exercise lot of patience and tolerance. The other thing I’ve found is when I know the answers I don’t need to share them. Best wishes for your new position. I am hoping to have a new one shortly.

Tere in Chester VA

My former difficult coworker is about my age ... she's 50 and I'm 55. While I have recently graduated with a Masters in IT and have more or less kept up with technology, her Master's degree is in Physics, she graduated about 25 years ago, and she hasn't taken any courses since. I think she reached the upper limit of her IT skills and has not been sure what to do to solve the database problem. One of the reasons I was hired was to solve the problem ... and, thankfully, I was able to present a solution.

Good on you for taking steps to keep up to date! :)

BTW, if you type 'microsoft excel (or word, or powerpoint, etc) for dummies free pdf' into Google, you should be able to find free pdfs you can download. They probably won't be the most recent version but could be one version back.

For example, this one is Excel 2019, published in 2018:
    https://www.docdroid.net/LgvVlKr/excel-for-dummies-pdf

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Only if you're interested in doing something like this as we go along ...

Feel Good Feb and/or Exercising the Alphabet in February
    Feel Good Feb
    zdlnh64mq3da.png
    https://www.actbelongcommit.org.au/programs-initiatives/feelgood-feb/

Exercising the Alphabet in February

In other words, on February 1, you'd walk to a street that starts with A or do an exercise video hosted by someone whose name starts with A or something ... A.

On February 2, you'd go swimming at a Beach or play a game of Baseball or something ... B.

On February 3, you'd go Cycling or Climb some stairs or something ... C.

and so on.

There are, of course, 26 letters in the alphabet and 28 days in February, so you'd have 2 free days if you didn't exercise those days or couldn't fit in the next letter of the alphabet.
    I have listed several January highlights so that meets the calendar suggestion for February 1...

And I walked to the Asian "dollar store" next to the Asian grocers and bought Art supplies at lunch today. That'll be my A. :)

Put myself in someone else's shoes --- I've been treating my difficult work colleague with kindness by talking to her about her son, complimenting her skirt, talking quietly and gently to her and so on.

And today, I walked to Bathurst Street to Buy some Books. I also climbed stairs in my Building. :)

Watch a movie that reminds me of kindness --- probably not tonight!

C is for Climbing and walking on Collins St!

Take a picture of three things that make you happy --

aocs3725u6ly.png
    42vpz698ig8s.png
    qaqbrf33a1dz.png

D is for exercising Downstairs!
    Rowing - 16 minutes
    Walking - 38 minutes
    Weights - 10 minutes

Be kind to yourself -- Sleep, gardening and cycling! :)

E is for Exercising!
    Plus we cycled on Endeavour Ave and the Esplanade. :)

Start a conversation with someone new --- I'm not the sort to strike up random conversations, or conversations at all. But I did chat with a person I met recently and one I haven't seen in a few months today.

And ... F!
    mcuvbtguykqt.png

Consider a current struggle. Write down two thoughts that bring you comfort.

Hmmm ... A current struggle, like only one? Let's go with waiting. I feel like I spend most of my life waiting.

wrt353eh66bk.png
    x3f3p2wdopwq.png
    9g49r21ubbnn.png

And a walk to the botanical Gardens through the rose Garden!
    jrhi6g59mua4.png

Consider and celebrate diversity! Does that include people who look at things completely differently than you do? If so ... woohoo! I've had that opportunity today!

H is for Hobart - walking around. And Hanging clothes outside.

Identify a role model who embodies perseverance and find 2 ways to emulate them.

Well, I don't have role models ... and I've persevered as much or possibly even more than many people I know.

However, today was brought to you by the letter I. I did walk by and around IMAS (Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies).

Check an item off your to do list this weekend!

YES! I tidied a shelf in the kitchen. I've been meaning to do that for months but finally did it today. There was a large quantity of rubbish on that shelf ... more than I thought. So, much of the cleaning process was just throwing things out.

I've also been dusting our entertainment unit and all the stuff on it.

And I went outside and tidied the area right in front of our front door which involved moving a whole bunch of pots and other garden things to a different location and then sweeping out a year's worth of leaves and stuff. I climbed up and down and up and down stairs doing that.

This evening I made an attempt at digging the area I want to plant things next to my dry stream. I got a new spade which is great, but even so, there are so many roots, I'll need to use something else to break it up.

Just getting rid of Junk and Jabbing the Soil

Make twice as much for dinner and either invite guests or deliver a meal to a friend ...

We're actually doing that sort of dinner thing on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, all my exercise was in K ... Kingborough today!

Cycling:
    bdgt6bwhubu9.png

Heaving a heavy mattock in the garden:
    x23kxu9gyuil.png

And walking our Kitty, Rhody. :)

Make a list for the week ahead so you stay focused.

I have one massive ongoing things to do list with the most urgent things at the top.

L
    Walking exercised my Legs.
    Gardening exercised all my Limbs!

Consider a recent disagreement. Did you extend forgiveness?
    Yes.
    I don't like being at odds with people.

M
    Meandering around Bunnings.
    Moving the Mattock.

Express creativity! I finished another version of my Project Plan!! That's as creative as I had a chance to be today.

N = Nowhere
    I walked the stairs to nowhere and the road to nowhere.
    67bhya0wa0yp.png

If you are in line today, let someone go ahead of you. I do every now and then. :)

O - walking Rhody near home.

The next time someone does something you appreciate, let them know. I did today! :)

P - Perusing the shops today while it rained outside and Purchasing a few things.

Offer a helping hand to someone such as holding the door for a stranger. I do this now and then ... probably about once a week. :)

Q is for Queen.

My lunch walk was around the Queen's Domain!

Share about a recent book you read and what you learned.

The recent books I have read have been fictional mystery/suspense, and I have confirmed I like this genre for relaxation and stress relief.

R is for Rocks.
    Hauling rocks. Placing rocks.

And walking Rhody.

Show sincere appreciation when someone serves you food or drink. I always thank my husband when he serves dinner. :)

S is for ... Sifting and Shovelling through Soil. Gardening ... I was gardening.

Compliment someone today. I didn't have a chance today because there was hardly anyone around.

T is for Target!
    It was raining again today so I walked through the shops.

Where was I before I was swallowed up by work??

Feb 21 - When you recognise someone is struggling, offer words of support.
    Frequently, with my husband

U - Another rainy day so I walked up and down through the shops.

Feb 22 - Ask for help. That's a simple way to express bravery
    I frequently ask for help. I don't often get help, but I ask.

V - Vinnies!! I walked to Vinnies ... but didn't buy anything. 3.15 km plus commute walk.

Feb 23 - Encourage your teammates to utilise their unique strengths
    Yes, and I thanked so many people today. :)

W - Walked!! 2 km plus commute walk.

Feb 24 - Reflect on steps you have taken to achieve past goals.

Somewhat appropriate for today.

In brief, I accomplish goals by writing them down and breaking them down into steps. Then I work my way through the steps.

dim66jhilah9.png

X - marks the spot!
    Spotted on my walk today!
    krswns86wkmc.png
    l9j55bsyy0en.png

Feb 25 - Express gratitude today by thanking someone.
    Every day. :) And this week, I've thanked a lot of people! My husband for doing such a good job cleaning the house and doing garden work. So many people at work for giving me the opportunities and for being so warm and welcoming.

Feb 26 - Think about the upcoming work week. How can you apply teamwork?
    By not being there? :lol: Hopefully my husband and I will be able to apply teamwork.

In the alphabet exercise challenge I have Y and Z to go.

Yesterday could have been Y ... Y not go downstairs and row given that it is pouring rain! We'll see if another Y presents itself today.

We've had 37.6 mm (1.5 inches) of rain in the past 12 hours or so ... my dry stream isn't so dry!

And it is supposed to be rainy all day today so it will be an inside day.

Machka in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Options
    About bees, again ...

This is the kind of hive we've got: https://beehivehero.com/warre-hives/

As we only got bees in October, we won't likely harvest this year unless we discover that they are honeybound when we check them in the next few weeks.

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I just watched an Amy Adams movie Arrival based on the book Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang.

It was awesome.

___

Katla Agree with everyone - I would add that it is more difficult to navigate the steps to fix your username on the phone than it would be on a computer. If you can let it go, we know who you are and your current user name is fine - it doesn’t change who you are to us. If you can’t let it go, please ask your daughter to help you log out of MFP on your phone and log back in as Katla49 as Machka suggested.

Much love, my friend.

___

Karen in Virginia
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Carla!

Left the pickup at the service place yesterday. Had it in for oil change. When we went to get it, it would not start. They jumped it and got it started but when DD was driving it home all the dash lights went out and the battery warning light came on so she turned around and took it back. They are supposed to look at it on Monday. Hope it is an easy fix.

Pip - I put a raincoat on my dog if it is wet out for the same reason and also because her coat is heavy and she takes forever to dry out once she gets wet.

Katla - hope you get the sign-in thing figured out. It is obviously upsetting to you.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    The parents came back in good time, so we weren't too exhausted. After we managed to get Bea into bed, we had a great time with the older two. Edie found my screenshots of inspirational quotes on my phone, so we laughed and discussed those, <3 , and Max has an app that generates AI sentences, so he commanded Inspirational Quotes, and we fell about laughing at the results! Huge fun!
    The food we ordered was excellent. I had a lime and coconut cod curry that was one of the best I've ever eaten. DH had a noodle mix. It's in the building, so we got 10% off and delivered to your door.

For the rest of the evening we read our books, with DH falling asleep! Quite strangely, and amusingly to me, I have got completely addicted to Agatha Christie! :o:o:o Most people I know read her when they were younger, but I never did. I think I thought I was above all that sort of thing and considered it crusty and dry. Was I wrong!!! The prose just leaps off the page.
    Fortunately, they are very cheap, or occasionally free to get on my Kindle, so I'm romping through them. :p I first read four Poirots, and now I'm on my fifth Marple. I always enjoyed the Joan Hickson Marple on TV, but it failed to convey the utter verve of the books. How lovely to discover something new at my age, and so many of them!
    I was prompted to start reading them by the new biography of Agatha Christie by Lucy Worsley. I haven't read it yet, as I'm waiting for the price to come down, but I watched a two part series on TV.

Yesterday afternoon, before setting off for the apartment, I watched the last five episodes, and finished the third series, of 'Couples Therapy'. Love those series!

Love you loads, and hope your cruds gets better soon.
    Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I adore Agatha Christie in all forms and permutations, books, TV, movies...
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sunday - very relaxing day. I hardly moved.

Sleep, reading, colouring, going through my emails, ripping some CDs I purchased recently and listening to classical music mostly, ...

Machka in Oz