Hello, new friends!

Options
Hi everyone! I just joined not even a week ago. I wanted to take more control of my life and my eating habits. I feel like I have an unhealthy relationship with food. I've used it to cope with anxiety and depression. In the last 2 years it's gotten bad and I feel as if it's become an addiction. I just want to start taking this first step to try and better myself. I'd love to make new friends and help keep each other accountable!

Replies

• memeregoodspeed
    memeregoodspeed Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the best. I also just joined--again! In the past I have avoided online communities, but maybe there is something to it. So here I am, once again trying to achieve permanent weight loss.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    @harshvaidya4

@memeregoodspeed

Welcome!

Congratulations on taking the first steps. The next BIG step is to STICK TO IT! You can succeed if you set good goals and consistently work towards them. Go slow; develop good habits you can maintain indefinitely. It may be difficult at first, but the idea is simple. The good news; it can get easier over time. Much easier! Just stick to it!

The best few tips I can think of for starting out are:
    • Plan to go slow. If you are trying to lose weight, remember you didn't gain it in a month or a year; take the slow route to help assure success. Then it will be easier to maintain when you reach goal.
    • Don't plan any strategies you aren't willing to continue indefinitely. Only do things that are sustainable in the long run.
    • Plan on having a reasonable calorie deficit, on average, each week. Best if you can manage a small deficit each day, but if you miss a day, don't fret. Just keep going forward. Stick to it.
    • Yeah, that's it's own point: STICK TO IT!
    • Set reasonable but challenging goals. Set long-term and short term goals. What are some specific goals you have set for yourself?
    • Check in often. Don't stress if the scale is up for the day. Look over the long term trend; weight loss is not linear. You'll have up and down days. Over time, if you maintain a deficit, you'll trend down.
    • Exercise is very healthy for fitness. It can contribute to a calorie deficit and aid in weight management. You still must manage your food intake to assure a calorie deficit. Logging your food and your activity in MFP will help you get an idea how to slowly adjust your target for success.