Just joined a gym..!

Options
13»

Replies

• simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to go to as many group classes as you can make..
    This way you meet similar or more advanced people who will motivate and probably friend you..
    I do pump, spin, cardio kick and starting insanity at the gym.
    Have met people from 16-74 yrs old..
    We are all there for the same reason to get fit and enjoy life to its fullest.
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    Options
    Congrats! The first thing to remember when you start a gym membership is to never give up!! I know last year when I did join a gym I pushed myself way too hard and I ended up not going (and wasting a perfectly good 3 months of membership fee) after just a week. Your body will hurt at first but you will adjust to it and you will feel great about yourself! I know working out is hot, dirty, sweaty, time consuming, and laborous but you get greaaat results and your body and health will thank you for it! Members in MFP are here to support you so work hard (but don't push past limits!) :)
  • mattkdawson
    mattkdawson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    great job on joining!!! i highly recommend trying the couch to 5K running program.

anyone can do it!!! no matter how out of shape you think you are. i promise.

it will do wonders for burning calories and fits in great with the myfitnesspal program! also, feel free to add me as a friend on here if you want some motivation or contact
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Take a couple of sessions with a personal trainer to learn the proper form.

Yeah I just don't wanna spend a ton on a trainer ..
    :-/

That's why I said to take "a couple" of sessions. Some people can teach themselves. I did. But if you can't or won't, a trainer can help. Say up front, "I'm not looking for long-term training. I just want to learn the proper form for a few basic exercises that should be part of any routine."

I also think that someone who has 100 pounds to lose has to approach exercise differently. You could put too much stress on your body too soon and hurt yourself. I would start with three times a week and walk the other days.

Yeah still though. Considering I paid $100 for a years membership, paying $40-$60/session with a trainer isn't happening. I am a cheap Jewish girl. What can I say.

No need to hire a trainer. Just take a variety of free classes that are included in your membership. Get into a good routine and schedule those workouts on your calendar (I put them on my fridge and also in my phone).

Well, if the gym is $99 a year I wouldn't assume that there aren't discounts on training. If I didn't know how to work out and felt intimidated by the equipment and routines, I would consider it money well spent. That was my best advice. I used a book, which wasn't as easy, but it worked for me. I have had a few sessions with trainers over the years and usually have learned something.

I personally don't love classes because they don't proceed at a pace that works for me. For example, I take longer than usual to warm up. In addition, many people who did classes in the 1980s have repetitive stress injuries from all the jumping. I know that Zumba is popular, but I've tried doing it when there are infomercials and find the movements awkward.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Ease into your weights or you'll really feel sore for a few days. Start with low weights and concentrate on FORM before moving into heavier weights.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Congrats on this amazing choice! It will do you wonders, you'll feel so alive and soooo happy!! :D

Do strength training before your cardio. Work within a rep range of 6-12 (if you can't lift past 6 its too heavy, if you can lift past 12 its too life). Listen and pay attention to your body. :P And do moderate impact cardio until you can work up to HIIT.

And make sure you eat, so you can support muscle gains while you are losing adipose tissue!!
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Tip: There's a little voice in your head (let's call it the inner loser) It will make all kinds of excuse on why you not go to the gym. you need to sabotage his plans. so if you put your shoes on you go to the gym, if you don't feel like it you still go to the gym, if you are kinda sore you still go to the gym.
  • Carolw12
    Carolw12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out try going every other day. I do one day cardio and the next day weight lifting. What also helps me is to take the classes. Its fun and you get to be with other people and its like a personal training session without paying extra money. I take Zumba, Spinning for cardio and there are strength training classes as well. Don't over exert yourself, have fun and good luck!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    1. Set doable goals so you know you can easily meet them.
    2. Adjust your goals as you get this integrated into your routine, but don't forget #1
    3. Don't overdo it!
    4. Don't worry about anyone else!

I am 5'1" and weighed in at 291 pounds in late February, female, age 43. I'm one of those who can probably put 'being fat professional' on her resume -- I know how to jump on and lose some and how to gain it all back! But I also know how to do it 'right' and NOT do all that, but until February, I didn't put it into action.

Exercise goals at start: 3 times per week, 30 minutes per day, light treadmill at 2.0-2.5 mph. That was my 'on paper' goal. My internal process related to that: Try to increase 1 mph every day or liven it up by putting it on 2.5 mph and then after warm up, go up 1 mph every minute until 3.0, stay there for 3 minutes, then back down 1 mph every minute until back to 2.5.

I knew that was slow, but that's where #4 came into play I was *MOVING* and that is what mattered. It was more than I was doing the week before. I didn't care if anyone judged me for doing what to them may look like next to nothing. I knew it wasn't just something, it was everything. So you find your spot -- is it 2.5? Is it 1.5? Don't be ashamed, pick it and be okay with it and just work on slowly increasing!

I then had ideas such as adding in the elliptical a month or so into it. A few more months in and I added in some weight machines. Somewhere in there, I decided to go every day but Sunday. But I kept my minimum goal at 3x/week, 30 minutes a time so I could skip a day or two without guilt.

So you've got this! Set a reasonable goal, don't worry what others may think (we've got your back and we know you're awesome), and don't overdo it. Baby steps = lifelong commitment. Overdoing it = 'omg can't go any farther' = winding back up being sedentary.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    The really strange thing is, you eventually crave that soreness. Its like a badge of honor, good workout. Welcome to the family :heart:

So true too! I hurt my foot 10 days ago while walking in the airport, so last week I stayed off it as much as possible and today it's finally feeling better. I'm back home so I went in and just did weights, not doing any cardio for a few more days because I really really want it healed, but my first thought was, "omg, I want to feel the burn and have some soreness after this!"

Also - ran/walked a zombie 5K a few weeks ago and the next day was super sore and all I could think of was 'when do we do it again?!' It's...odd...to feel like this again, but in a good way :)
  • callmenikita
    callmenikita Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    So I'm 25, super overweight and out of shape. A local gym was running a special- $99/year so I joined. I've gone two days so far and my legs are on fire!! I am so sore and just can't believe how much it hurts. Mostly doing cardio and may add weights later on. Also considering taking a Pilates or Yoga class. Any suggestions or motivation to help me go on? I have over 100 pounds to lose and should go back and workout today but just feel super sore! Agh....

Jessie

stretching is just as important as working out.. you'll avoid injury and prevent your parts from feeling "on fire" lol
    congratz though
  • zipzap77
    Options
    :) that is a good feeling
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If your gym does BodyPump, it's actually a great cardio workout that can help you learn the correct form for weight lifting. You don't need to put heavy weights on your bar, or you can just use the bar itself until you get stronger, if you want! When I first started BodyPump years ago, I think I started with 2.5kgs each end of the bar. I do my own weight lifting now (dumbbells, Kettlebells and machines), but even small strength gains can be really empowering.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So I'm 25, super overweight and out of shape. A local gym was running a special- $99/year so I joined.
    Jessie

Good for you!! Can I join your gym?! The cheapest gym I can find here (South Korea) is about $650/year. And that is smaller than my studio apartment with mostly broken equipment.
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on going to the gym!

I propose going every other day for strength training. Your muscles need time to rest and repair themselves. :) If you're really motivated to go every day, maybe consider doing yoga every other day of your strength training, or a light cardio (like walking/jogging on the treadmill, just to keep you in the habit of going to the gym).

You're inspirational!^^
This discussion has been closed.