Winter slump

Options
Who else is getting antsy to be out in the nice Spring weather? I get way to lazy and make up way to many excuses in the winter to not exercise or eat right. Trying to get my mind in a good head space again.

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Same! In the colder months, I bundle up and crawl under the covers at every opportunity. It happens every year like clockwork and so I've long given up on any forward progress until the beginning of March. By then, I am so bored with my lumpy self that I can't wait to get back on track.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    You betcha.

Most of the time, I can sell myself to continue with some indoor workouts by acting as if they're not something I make a decision about, but rather just something I do, like brushing my teeth or tidying the kitchen. Yes, that's a trick, but it'll work sometimes. For a while, anyway.

I want to be out rowing boats, and riding my bike on the trails. My river is frozen; my trails are snowed-up (and I can't really XC ski anymore, safely, I fear). So I need to be machine rowing (to work technique) and stationary biking (because it's good for me in the big picture of not having to re-start conditioning from ground zero in Spring). At least on the bike I can watch videos or play games; on the rower my technique suffers if I watch unrelated stuff.

A SAD light helps a little, mood-wise. It also helps that I've been active long enough that I notice viscerally that I'm getting stiff, grumpy, depressive if I go too long without working out.

But the struggle is real.
  • mmtownsend2222
    mmtownsend2222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have noticed the winter blues have taken over the past two weeks. Too many grey days. Maybe a sun lamp would help. Any suggestions as to a brand that actually works? Thanks
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have noticed the winter blues have taken over the past two weeks. Too many grey days. Maybe a sun lamp would help. Any suggestions as to a brand that actually works? Thanks

I bought this one, not a sun lamp per se but a SAD (seasonal affective disorder) "therapy light".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094HBU6I/

I don't work for Amazon, Verilux, this is not spam - I'm just a regular MFP user answering the question asked.

Does it work? I don't have a clue. Maybe. In this kind of realm, it's hard to tell whether something is placebo effect, but if it works, I don't really care whether it works by placebo effect, tiny invisible fairies that fly out and tap me with their wands, or the effects on my eyes/brain of these particular light wavelengths, y'know?

I use it daily in the dark season, so I guess I think it's at least worth the gamble? Seems like I feel a little better, but no drama.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I'm looking more forward to the nice weather than any year I can remember. I can't wait to try this new body out
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    It’s overcast and 51 degrees in NYC right now… it’s been a chilly Spring this far. I’m looking forward to more sunshine 🌞 that’s for sure. I could use about another 15 degrees as well. I notice I’m more energetic when it’s sunny out.. so I bought a bunch of LIFX lightbulbs and I cheat a bit for a sunny glow inside the house.