Just Give Me 10 Days - Round 218

Options

Replies

• musicsax
    musicsax Posts: 4,399 Member
    Options
    fmfdfa2020 wrote: »
    musicsax wrote: »
    @fmfdfa2020 sorry for my ignorance, but what are hush puppies? The only ones that I know of are the comfortable stout shoes!!

Hi @musicsax They are made of cornmeal, flour, eggs, onion, buttermilk and dropped by the spoonful into oil and deep fried (many things in the south are deep fried) :/ Here's a link to a recipe with a picture. My Mother used to make them, and most times when you ordered seafood (especially fried), your meal would come with hushpuppies.

https://therecipecritic.com/homemade-hush-puppies/

Thanks for that, they are like savoury little donuts then, interesting how they got their name too. :)
  • jspecies11
    jspecies11 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    69 yo female; 5’5”
    Thank you @quiltingjaine
    SW 140.0#
    GW 139.0#
    Consistent strength training, plant based unprocessed food, increase hydration

3/23 140.2#
    3/24 139.6#
    3/25 138.6#
    3/26 139.4#
    3/27 139.2#
    3/28 138.6#
    3/29 138.4#
    3/30 139.2# Not my best day yesterday. Frustrated with stuff and did not cope well. I will work on staying within my locus of control today. Starting off with lifting something heavy this AM before work and making healthy food choices.
    3/31
    4/1
  • clprieur
    clprieur Posts: 270 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    @clprieur Many fasters work out in a fasted state.

We all need to remember that weight loss is neither predictable nor linear. This is an old poster from WW
    agfqlv4v2oki.jpeg

@lisapower123 As you have done this before, I think you are fine. In the beginning people criticized me for going keto. The wife of my former boss boss told me that would kill me and I would be “waiting for her in heaven.” Meanwhile she is grossly obese and I am over 50# lighter. We all learn what works and what doesn’t. If we chose to follow that winning path, YAY US! If you continue to deny it, poor you. You’ve got this!

To be clear, I was not criticizing the person who was writing about going to the gym while fasting. She had not indicated in her original post that she was fasting intentionally and that she took supplements etc. and that she knew what she was doing. She had only indicated that she is trying to lose weight in time to attend an upcoming event. I suggested that she may be having distorted thoughts about eating and that she may want to check in with a medical professional, that is all. It was offered in the spirit of "advice and concern", which is what I thought this space was about.
  • CamandJarvis
    CamandJarvis Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    shmmm3 wrote: »
    fmfdfa2020 wrote: »
    musicsax wrote: »
    @fmfdfa2020 sorry for my ignorance, but what are hush puppies? The only ones that I know of are the comfortable stout shoes!!

Hi @musicsax They are made of cornmeal, flour, eggs, onion, buttermilk and dropped by the spoonful into oil and deep fried (many things in the south are deep fried) :/ Here's a link to a recipe with a picture. My Mother used to make them, and most times when you ordered seafood (especially fried), your meal would come with hushpuppies.

https://therecipecritic.com/homemade-hush-puppies/

I love this conversation. Hushpuppies were one of the first things I veganized by using flax seeds instead of eggs. I love them!

Grew up in NW Indiana (north) but raised by southern grandparents (who were raised in Arkansas) so I very much see both sides of this. Hush puppies were, and still are to this day, one of my weaknesses. I've now come to love jalapeno hush puppies that give a tiny little kick, too. I want some so bad now...

Cornbread! Sweet vs not sweet?! I've had both, my family made both. It depended on what it was being made with. Chili? Sweet. Ham&beans? Not sweet.
  • CamandJarvis
    Options
    RenaPink11 wrote: »
    3/29 - 175.2 - Slacked on the water yesterday. Did the c25k app on the treadmill. Read somewhere to also do it outdoors bc there’s a difference. So I did the inside track at the gym and YES huge difference. The floor has no give like a treadmill and doesn’t make me keep my pace! LOL my knees weren’t liking it. It put me in my place and I’m not feeling as confident doing a 5k as I was before. But I will keep my goal of participating in one in June and keep training for it. Heading to the gym now.

Treadmills are very deceiving like that -- I thought I was doing well training on one until I went for an outdoor run and couldn't keep up, despite the fact that I kept up with her on a treadmill! She normally trained outside so it was a huge wakeup call for me!
    As much as I hate it (and my knees complain), I now try to avoid treadmills because of the mental mixup it gives me. Though, for example, my business trip in April -- I'll use a treadmill those two days of training as I'm unfamiliar with the area to run outside, the hotel has a treadmill, and I'd like to maintain some semblance of training. Plus, I'll probably have to work out before the sun comes up so I have time to get ready and eat before training starts. I'll just be mindful that coming back home, I'll probably have lost a little bit of conditioning due to it being a treadmill. I've already planned to repeat that week of C25K once I'm home.
  • CamandJarvis
    Options
    I am doing Noom right now & the lesson for today was to leave 5 forkfuls & to not clean my plate. I could have used that yesterday. I made beef with broccoli in the InstaPot & it was super good. I should have made it with cauliflower rice but my son wanted Jasmine rice & I didn't feel like making 2. I will next time. I don't know if anyone else has gone through the entire course, but I am learning (or reminded of) a few things as it goes along that are helpful. I don't know if I agree with all of their green foods, but the calories are still calories (not zero pts like WW) & count towards a daily goal. I have not been successful in getting 30% of my calories from green food, but I am going to work at figuring that out next week.

I'm very interested in your thoughts on Noom. I've seen it pop up so much around my life but I'm super skeptical about things like that but I try to be open minded and learn before I judge.

Green foods? Is that literal green or do they color code certain types of food as green?

Also, for fasting, any readers out there? Life in the Fasting Lane by Jason Fung, Eve Mayer, and Megan Ramos - it is a delightful and informative read. He does talk about long-term fasting in there but I think, overall, it's a very informative read. I need to re-read it, honestly. I learned so much and wanted to share with the group/any interested in learning more about it.