Advice on exercise with foot injury

Options
srr1972
srr1972 Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi All - hoping you can help here I have a non-closing wound (diabetic) on my foot which opens up whenever I stand up for anytime or walk, Also I cant swim as its an open wound and often gets infected - I have tried some chair bound HITT videos but find them a bit repetitive does anybody know of a program or routine I can follow that is ok for my injury and hopefully help me lose weight
Tagged:

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Good thinking: Adaptation is key to staying active.

What comes to mind is stationary bike. If upright biking is too hard on the foot, perhaps the recumbent style would work. Pressure on the foot is minimized, while circulation in the legs is promoted.

In general, I don't recommend starting with equipment purchase. It's usually better to go to a gym so you can try out a bunch of things and even get some instruction. Not to mention, make some friends. But, if your mobility is too challenged to get to a gym, you might need to do exactly that. Lots of companies make recumbent stationary bikes, including Sunny Health and Fitness, which is a price performer (I have not owned one, so you have to do your own research).

As a stretch activity, you could try kayaking. When my knee was recovering from an injury, I was blessed to discover a kayak rental company that would help me in and out of the boat from a dock. Maybe you have something like that around you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear this :(

Can you get a referral to a physical therapist that can help you design a program?

I do chair yoga and chair Tai Chi during a volunteer job that involves a lot of sitting. However, I don't think that burns many calories.

I'm all for being as mobile and active as possible, for a variety of reasons, but you will have a far greater impact on your weight by eating less.

Some people are satiated by high fat, and for them a keto diet could help them create a calorie deficit. I feel full when I hit the MFP default protein and fiber goals, and not exceeding the default fat goal of 30% helps me achieve that.

I saved this article years ago. The link no longer works.

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.
  • srr1972
    srr1972 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    so, are the bs#'s under control? does doc see an end in sight to the wound and healing? imagine that is distressing.... is it possible high #'s has been triggered by other drugs such as inhaled steroids for asthma or copd - which could take time to resolve?

maybe more variety with seated exercises and/or focus on other body strengthening... Paul Eugene on utube has a nice variety of chair videos; all sorts of seated and standing exercise levels/variety. for soothing stretches/range of motion/flexibility, i like Sherry Zak (chair yoga). I enjoy chair sessions for strength training with bands/handweights, medicine/weight ball, towels/body parts for isometric exercises, yoga workouts to help keep body flexible/range of motion and generally greasing the stiffness/joints/pain.