WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!

Today I ate 1148 calories. I did twenty minutes on the bike and then my dumbbells Yay! For a deficit of 337. Yay!

Tomorrow I have a lunch date with my cousin. I haven't decided how much to eat yet. Or what to wear. But I'm happy to see her.

Then I have to see if my new trackball fixes my computer. Then I have my online book group. A full day!

Annie in Delaware
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Rori – so great to see you. You’re missed when you’re not here. Yea for the Row House. Great pic

Debbie – good luck at the show! I use my desktop for MFP mostly, too. Sometimes I do have to use my tablet, tho. Like if I’m away or something. But most of the time I use the desktop.

M – what an inspiration. Way to go. Showing how small steps lead to big leaps.

Not sure why, but I can’t seem to get to sleep. Hope this doesn’t last long.

Michele NC

Sat at the show all day, well, walked around a LOT because my back hurt so bad sitting down. Got my 10,000 steps. We had one paying customer- he bought four things. What he spent, dh spent at two other booths- one for a toy and the rest for pictures and autograph with Herbert Jefferson Jr( Battlestar Galactica and some other old shows).
    It was at a military museum. They had military uniforms from Air Force/Navy. Bought a pair of camo pants for son for $3. Not sure if he will wear them but money goes to the museum.

Got home, took a Norco for my back, will grab a long shower then heating pad soon.

As we walked in the house, MIL called, there is water leaking from the fridge on to her kitchen floor so dh went right over. Most likely she didn't close the freezer part door. Has done it before.
    Just so glad he didn't ask me to go with him.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    Machka - Happy anniversary to being an Aussie, and to finding your way to cycling as your great love! Someone needs to tell my husband that when he sees a number of cyclists on the roadside, that "It's a biker gang!" was only funny once... :wink:

Supposed to be cloudy this morning and sunny this afternoon--and a look at the ten-day forecast shows this all the way through next Friday. I got my five pounds of clover seed in, and I'd like to spread them out now, but they need watering for days after, so I think I'll wait until the following week, when there's supposed to be rain for three days. Clover is supposed to choke out the weeds and grass and provide for the bees, as well as be beautiful. Right now, we're growing a heck of a crop of weeds and wild onions. Neither one of us cares about having a lawn, so we'll see how clover works in this climate. Should be interesting.

Off to the races, dear hearts,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Clover does indeed choke out grass. We've got mostly clover lawn sections in a few places ... nothing we've planted, it just grows and grows!

We do have to be careful walking on it when it's flowering because there are usually bees doing there thing.

Many of the things I'm doing are meant to keep the weeds down. While I don't mind pulling weeds, right now, I can't keep up!

M in Oz

• Machka9
    edited April 2023
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Rori ... regardless of what your scale says, you look great in your rowing photo!

Rita ... so much to bear ... hugs...

Question ... is there anyway to permanently get rid of wild onion that is overtaking a stoned area as well as my rose bed? I try to dig them out but seem to be making it worse each year. I think my inexperienced landscapers a few years back ended up seeding my beds and stones when they were supposed to be weeding ... Photos of area. Sorry they're large.
    yb30nfebnqvx.jpegfj23uj21ry5o.jpeg

Beth near Buffalo

Do you have weed mat down under the stones?

If not, I'd put some down ... I know it's a big job, but maybe it can be done in sections.

As for around the plants, put down cardboard, then put put down mulch over the cardboard.

Pull them up by the roots first, of course.

You could try vinegar, salt and boiling water to kill them before pulling. I don't like using poisons.

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    No work tomorrow so the plan is to do Gilad’s Express Workouts DVD

Karen – your spouse seems to be getting stronger. That’s wonderful. Best wishes that she is a good candidate

I forgot to punch out at work yesterday, but oh well. They fixed it. I guess that’s why it’s called an “accident” and not an “on purpose”

LC4608 – WB!

RVRita – I know how it helps to just put things down here. That’s the way I felt yesterday with the whole Jerry thing. I just needed to get it out of my system

Want to make soup tomorrow. Vince said it’s supposed to rain so looks like I won’t get my walk outside in so I’ll probably do a Leslie Sansone DVD. Vince wants to cut the grass Monday since I don’t have bowling.

Beth – around my stones I use “Ground Clear”. Just spray it on the weed and it dies.

Worked on the jigsaw puzzle. It’s getting there

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka: I admire you keeping the cycling log all these years! I start journals and logs but don't keep them up. I am glad you were able to play with your granddaughter recently.

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

My cycling log is the only thing I've kept up for any length of time. It's all numbers and formulas ... data.

She's about 8 months old and absolutely adorable. :heart:

Hugs to you. :heart: :heart:

• Machka9
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I made a comment on FB that I would like a "roomba" (RoboVac) but they're so expensive here, and our son noticed it and offered us their old one!!

We picked it up on Friday and gave it a test drive yesterday. It has been well used so needs a little refurbishment, but it works. I think it'll be good.

Rhody, however, was most suspicious!!

Rediscovered my hamstrings this morning from the gardening I did yesterday!! OOOoooooo.

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    <3
  • aniahuth
    aniahuth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m Ania and I’m 47 and since menopause last month and the year before I’ve put some weight on (along with fatigue and brain fog!) that am determined to lose. We definitely need to up protein (general population needs 0.8g per kg of body weight, while in menopause it’s 1.2-2g per kg of body weight), reduce starchy carbs and prioritise sleep & stress reduction as that plays a huge role in metabolism. If you needed an accountability body I’m here 😀.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Karen - I missed your post about your spouse's progress, so I went back to look for it. It was just above one of mine. Great news! :)<3

Lovely weather for the bank holiday weekend. We always steer clear of busy areas at the weekend; we are not fans of people. :D:p Always hope no one decides to have a party in the gardens. I tend to hide in the house.

I'm hoping DH will come up with a card for Max. 12 year old boy? :*;)

I'm going to post one of my new flower cards I had printed to my old friend C for her birthday. I'm meeting her in London next month for lunch at at The Wolseley. My favourite venue.

Also have to pay the balance on my credit card, which includes the deposits for next year's cruises. It will clear me out of nearly all my available money, but I do get some interest due in May.

I'm happily reading a book on my Kindle called Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed, who was the Dear Sugar advice columnist. I'm a sucker for personal stories!

Tuesday is another teachers' strike day, but we haven't heard anything from the family yet. My son was hoping the Art Club would open up!

Love to all. Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Rosemarie-Yes, I have had thyroid cancer for nearly 27 years. I had a noticeable nodule for a few years before I was diagnosed (scans said negative/inconclusive). They had to remove nodule so they could do cervical fusion and biopsy showed it (surgeon was surprised). It is worrisome at times but it it typically manageable. Crying jags-oh my yes. The first year they would just hit me. I don't get them as frequently after 8 years, but every so often I have a good cry over DH (or maybe it's more for myself now?). Just work through them. Tom Petty could be a good musical choice. I'm into Bruce a lot right now. Don't judge yourself-you feel what you feel. Just move forward in between the jags.

Pip-You telling her is for you so you can let go. We can say what we need to say and it can be a release for us. We can't make the other person hear.

Karen-your spouse's progress is remarkable. That's attributed to removal of a medication isn't it? I think we all need to be careful of meds (that's why I am trying ointment for nerve pain in feet instead of pill). They can work great for one person but not well for another. Regarding widowhood-you will handle it in your own way. You are a strong person. It is painful but another road some of us have to travel. Enjoy every minute you together now.

Supposed to be rainy today with perhaps thunderstorms-spring in Ohio. May just walk inside today-hopefully I can get out this morning for 20 minutes or so of morning sun.

Off to see what the day brings.

Ginny in Ohio

• Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    29. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in. Been there, done that, somewhat disillusioned. But I will speak up for my values and respectfully disagree in conversations, at least today ;)

Yes, I hear you.

I have promoted active transportation ... cycling, walking etc. ... for 30+ years. You'd think by now that the Powers That Be would have figured it out and would have gotten on board, but it's still an uphill battle.

This sort of thing ...
    yq618q2bdyf7.png

Ugh! Found bugstuff in the front window. Took pics and voicemailed the exterminator while Joe vacuumed it away. Ugh!

Bug stuff?

Machka thanks for sharing your inspiring bicycling history. Do bumble bees produce honey? Con grats on the Roomba!

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

Bumble bees don't produce honey ... see link. :) They also make nests rather than a hive. We had a bumblebee nest under one of our sheds this past summer.
    https://www.buzzaboutbees.net/Do-Bumblebees-Make-Honey.html

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Today is a 2-part Anniversary.

1) On April 29, 1990, I started cycling "seriously" and specifically, I started logging all my cycling distances. Yes, I have kept track of every single kilometre I have cycled since April 29, 1990. On that day, I rode 2 miles and had to take a break at the end of the first mile because it was that difficult. I've built up strength since then! 🙂

The longer story ...
    33 years ago today, a much younger Machka decided it was time to start cycling seriously. I had been cycling since I was 6 years old but the amount had sort of dwindled down to just a few rides a year and in the previous year or two I don’t think I’d ridden at all.

However, I figured I was in pretty good shape, I had been walking a fair amount, so I on that day, a Sunday, I decided I would ride out to a certain spot and back, a distance of about 5 miles. If I felt really good at the 2.5 mile turn around, I’d go a bit further. I set off down the road leading out of town. That road was 0.5 miles long. By the time I reached the end of the road, I knew there was no way I was going to be able to ride 5 miles. I turned the other direction and decided to make a loop around the town for a total of 2 miles. At the 1 mile point, I had to stop and rest a little bit. I was exhausted! I struggled through that last mile home and when I arrived, I was almost in tears! I had no idea that my fitness level had deteriorated that much. A few years earlier, when I was 17, I had hopped on my bicycle and rode 50 miles with my father in the mountains! And that was my first ride of the season. On April 29, 1990 though, I could barely struggle through 2 miles.

But I kept at it, gradually increasing my distances until I did a 50 mile ride by the end of that year. And now, it’s almost hard to believe I once struggled with 2 miles!!

I’ve kept a log of all my miles through all those years – it’s interesting to look back on it and see how I’ve done, and remember those years, and remember the rides. I’ve had some very tough experiences and some very challenging rides in that time, I've had a lot of ups and downs, but I’d have to say that I have absolutely no regrets about choosing cycling as my sport! Because of cycling I have had the chance to try new things, to learn new things, to travel all over the world, to be involved in some incredible events, to meet a whole bunch of wonderful people including my husband, and to discover a lot about myself.
    Overall I have thoroughly enjoyed cycling!

2) On April 29, 2016, I became an Australian citizen. 😃 I've been a dual citizen (Canadian-Australian) for 7 years.

Machka in Oz

Just a couple points of data ... :smiley:

In 33 years, I have cycled 194,899.1755 km, including both inside and outside.

173,790.22 km (89%) were outside ... the rest were inside.

Meanwhile, this month ...

2022 Monthly April
    Walking/Running Distance (km): 57.2
    Walking/Running Time (min): 714.8
    Cycling Distance (km): 149.0
    Cycling Time (min): 496.6
    Flights Stairs Climbed Number: 196.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Time (min): 141.1
    Rowing Distance (km): 6.0
    Rowing Time (min): 36.0
    Other Time: 205.0

Totals