• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Bumble bees pollinate plants so they are still a helpful creature.

Of course ... plus they're cute.

Can you spot the bee butt among my Nasturtiums? :smiley:

pnsect08ylj2.png

They just do things differently from honey bees.

One of the things they do differently is that they'll move their nests each year. So if you've got a nest under your shed this year, like we did, next year it will likely be somewhere else.

M in Oz
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    ;) I’m looking forward to May in one more day.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Thank you ... for the wild onion/garlic removal ideas! I'd like to stay away from poisons as well but may have to resort to them in the stone areas given the tenacity of these weeds and the condition of the soil.

Rebecca ... I think of you and Owain often and pray that you receive news soon!

Yay Barbara!

Off to church here soon and then a visit with my mom. She is dealing with tooth pain as we await an extraction appointment on May 8th. Quite miserable.

Beth near Buffalo

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    vqu8d79ffxzq.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Thank you ... for the wild onion/garlic removal ideas! I'd like to stay away from poisons as well but may have to resort to them in the stone areas given the tenacity of these weeds and the condition of the soil.

Beth near Buffalo

Weed mat?

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,394 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Lisa yes, I remember “Soap” and will check out “Why Women Kill.” You sound like you’re feeling a little better, are you?

Barbara AHMOD - Edit to add here: So pleased that your remedies have finally got things moving! Thank you for asking if I'm feeling better. There are still good days and bad--I'm engrossed in learning as much as I can while I'm researching as much as I can handle of the results of the CT scan and what it means for the future. Then I scare the heck out of myself, and try to get my mind turned to other things so I can quit grinding away at research. I am feeling better physically, and was out in the yard for almost two hours yesterday weeding the flower beds, just hoping I wasn't pulling up the flowers. B) I see it as Darwinism in action, you know. If you are a flower, but you are indistinguishable from a weed, you may not survive. :smiley:

Observations on television as distraction with a side trip into comedy styles: :blush:
    The reason I love series like Season 1 of "Why Women Kill" is because they absorb my attention completely, which is a relief in and of itself. They engage my whole brain, and not much does these days. No spoilers, but the stories it tells begin and end with that season, no cliff hanger to the second season, which I appreciated enormously.

Unfortunately, I watched the first half of the first episode of Season 2, and it's a very different setup and story construction. I don't know why, but I just can't make myself like what I call "awkward comedy," where an earnest, well-meaning, sympathetic character humiliates themselves for the audiences' laugh. I don't think it's funny, and never really did--wasn't fond of most of Jerry Lewis's comedy, but loved the ensemble cast of Carol Burnett's show, for instance. Much of current comedy revolves around awkward constructions, and I often don't even last five minutes.

Tracey - Lots of hugs and hopes for your daughter's egg retrieval and eventual IVF. It's such a stressful time.

Karen - I'm so pleased that your spouse is literally making strides in her recovery. Hope she is a candidate for the ultrasound tremor ablation. Had to go look that up! You sound so happy with the friends you've made there and the activities you're enjoying. I'm so glad it was a good move for the two of you.

Just in the high 30s here, but should be in the 70s this afternoon. I do love cool spring mornings, and plan to enjoy them while they're still here...The back of my calves feel quite stiff this morning from bending over weeding yesterday.

For those who are new, Barbie will create a new thread for us this evening to start us all out once more in May. She will post a link to the new thread here. Hope to continue to see you there!

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

• minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies and returnees! (((hugs))) to those who need them.

30. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today... OKAY! as I'm packing up to head home from retreat!
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Not sure where the energy came from this morning. Caught up with all of you while in hot tub. Listened to podcasts while walked for 25 minutes and decluttered a bunch of papers sitting on my desk, shredded, filed, and dealt with. Emptied dishwasher, wiped down, and mopped kitchen. Now to do paperwork for work, ugh.
    Out to dinner last night. Had one drink. Lots of leg cramps. Ouch. Not sure if alcohol, or food. Had lots of water.

Healing thoughts for medical issues!
    Cheers for activities!
    Thankful for all of you!

<3
    Kylia in Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,848 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    April 2023 Action for Happiness

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate the well behaved Boy Scouts (40 of them) that camped here this weekend.

Thank you all for the kind words. Walking and meditating, plus meds keep me from a full blown panic attack so that helps. Talking it out here also reminds me you all have my back. Thank you so much for that. I’ve been doing a LOT of walking lately including walking meditations and sitting meditations. So much so that now I feel like I’m spending too much time on me. But, I know it helps and I need it.

Thank you all once again! You all are the best!

RVRita

Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 11/15(100%,100%,80%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 27/30 (84%,86%,94%)
    6 min HIIT -1x a day start April 1 28/30
    Arm weights twice a week 5/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%)
    Meditation: daily. 30/30 (82%(started Feb)94%)
    PT— head. 5/17. Started 4/13/23
    Hands 19/17

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 9/8–(100%,100%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9867, 9491,10170, 8706, (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 6/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 35/208/ —(100%,100%,100%)should be 68 by May 1.
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)35/94 (100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4 (100%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 27/20-(100%,88%,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 18/12 (100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——4/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings (100%)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

ACTIVE APRIL
    Commit to being more active this month starting today. I commit to this by adding the exercises from the 6 minute book for over 60’s.
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Easy! LOL
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. I do this during walking meditations every day.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yogurt and raspberries for breakfast with 17 oz water bottle and coffee, more to come.
    5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Not sure. Joked with hairdresser while getting hair cut. Everyone was laughing and joining in.
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels. I do this often in my meditations.
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening. Morning done. Will do in evening.
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh. I will as soon as I can! Did this with friends.
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise. Hmmmm tbd
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement. I’ll try.
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge. Already have goals: Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week, Walk 7,000 every day, 6 min HIIT -2x a day, Arm weights twice a week
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside. I will do. Vet this morning then normal day, so will be able to do this.
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time. Easy Peasy!
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation. I will meditate and try to find time for yoga too. I did all I wanted to do.
    15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing). I can’t sing but will sing along with music anyway. Sang “When the ants go marching in” during my walk.
    16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things. OOOH, this sounds like fun.
    17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds. I will tend my container garden. I have watered it but need to remove dead leaves from tomato plants.
    18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class. Not sure if I will have time today. Did not have time today.
    19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often. After the last 2 days, this is a welcome change!
    20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today. I did that on Tuesday but will try again today.
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day. Ahhhhh. But forgot to do it.
    22. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it. Going to try to remember to do this. Forgot.
    23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor. I do this every day in my hosting.
    24. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting. Will do! I love doing this.
    25. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself. Did this![
    26. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes. Already did this today, first thing in the morning.
    27. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.) HMMM. Will have to think about when to do this.
    28. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat. Not sure about the walk, way too windy, but I will chat outside with a friend.
    29. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in. I believe in environmental protection, so I recycle, buy natural when I can, walk in nature, and garden as best I can. I also pick up litter every day to keep this state park clean.
    30. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today. Already went for a walk.

RVRita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,848 Member
    Options
    Here is my May list. I’ll post again tomorrow in the May thread. Feel free to follow me along!

2023 Mindful May

1. Do something kind for someone you really care about.
    2. Focus on what you can do instead of what you can’t.
    3. Take a step toward an important goal no matter how small.
    4. Send a friend a photo of a time you enjoyed together.
    5. Let someone know how much they mean to you and why.
    6. Look for people doing good and reasons to be cheerful.
    7. Make a list of what matters most to you and why.
    8. Set yourself a kindness mission and help others today.
    9. What values are important to you? Find ways to use them today.
    10. Be grateful for the little things, even in difficult times.
    11. Look around for things that give you a sense of awe and wonder.
    12. Listen to a favorite pieces of music and remember what it means to you.
    13. Find out about the values or traditions of another country.
    14. Get outside and notice the beauty in nature.
    15. Do something to contribute to your local community.
    16. Show your gratitude to people who are helping to make things better.
    17. Find a way to make what you do today meaningful.
    18. Send a hand written note to someone you care about.
    19. Reflect on what makes you feel valued and purposeful.
    20. Share 3 photos of things you find meaningful or memorable.
    21. Look up at the sky and remember we are a part of something bigger.
    22. Find a way to help a project or charity you care about.
    23. Recall 3 things that you’ve done that you are proud of.
    24. Make choices that have a positive impact on others today.
    25. Ask someone else what matters most to them and why.
    26. Remember an event in your life that was really meaningful.
    27. Focus on how your actions make a difference to others.
    28. Do something special and revisit in your mind tonight.
    29. Today do something to car for the natural world.
    30. Share a quote you find inspiring to give others a boost.
    31. Find three reasons to be hopeful about the future.

RVRita
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    poor Kitty :'(
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Barbara AHMOD-11 days??????!!!! I can't even imagine. Congrats on getting that taken care of!

Back to work-just stopping in during my break for early lunch.

Ginny in Ohio