21 stone to 26.2 miles in 18 months - can it be done?

Options

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    I never really thought about it like that @AnnPT77 and have generally taken what MFP tell me as gospel.

Best keep a closer eye on it!

Good wun (walk and run) today for C25K Wk 2 and my heart rate zones continue to improve.

Thinking of getting a gait analysis or would it be too early?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I never really thought about it like that @AnnPT77 and have generally taken what MFP tell me as gospel.

Best keep a closer eye on it!

Good wun (walk and run) today for C25K Wk 2 and my heart rate zones continue to improve.

Thinking of getting a gait analysis or would it be too early?

Again, I hope the runners here will answer this.

I have no clue. I don't run at all (bad knees, deferring surgery). I've had PT to help me walk/climb stairs in ways that reduce knee stress, and that was very helpful for me, but wouldn't apply to someone with healthy knees.

All I know is that I'd always tell new/aspiring rowers (boat or machine) to seek out good coaching or instruction from day 1 . . . but rowing is not a natural movement pattern, nor is good technique even remotely intuitive for most people.

On the calorie goal thing: It's quite common around here to see experienced MFP-ers recommend that new folks use the MFP estimate (or one from a TDEE calculator/fitness tracker) as a starting point, then log carefully for that 4-6 weeks (whole menstrual periods for those to whom that applies), and next use personal averages of logged calories and weight change over that time period to adjust intake if needed.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure what a gait analysis is, but…..

After having severe foot pain someone suggested I go to a local running store. They used an iPad to to video my running a short track inside the store, did a quick “gait analysis”, and recommended certain styles of shoes.

It made a WORLD of difference in my comfort level.

I go back every year to get updates, buy a pair or two of shoes to support them, and then go onto Amazon to buy the same style in “last year’s” color, for half the price. I wear shoes out so fast and wear them so often, I usually have four or five pair in rotation. Sounds excessive, but I loath moist shoes, so I change them every time I go to a class or take the dog for a walk.
  • TheMrWobbly
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I go back every year to get updates, buy a pair or two of shoes to support them, and then go onto Amazon to buy the same style in “last year’s” color, for half the price.

That is so me! Always support the people who provide the service and would definitely buy in the store that did the gait analysis. I wouldn't go to Amazon though I plan on visiting the Nike, Adidas and Asics outlets that are an hour or so away for a better price on the next pair.

I have been wearing the same pair of shoes for walking and running and I will have to think about when they run out. Do you notice when a pair start to wear out?
  • springlering62
    Options
    I go back every year to get updates, buy a pair or two of shoes to support them, and then go onto Amazon to buy the same style in “last year’s” color, for half the price.

That is so me! Always support the people who provide the service and would definitely buy in the store that did the gait analysis. I wouldn't go to Amazon though I plan on visiting the Nike, Adidas and Asics outlets that are an hour or so away for a better price on the next pair.

I have been wearing the same pair of shoes for walking and running and I will have to think about when they run out. Do you notice when a pair start to wear out?

I’m cheap. I always think I can wear shoes or gear “just one more time”.

I’d love some guidelines on when to dispose of shoes.

@Lietchi hmmmmm now that you mention it, hip and knees started tweaking me three or four weeks ago. 😢 I guess it’s time for a Shoe Requiem.

Likewise, I’ve got some leggings that have gone see-thru, but are otherwise flawless condition, and am having a terrible wrangle with my conscience. “Just one more time” or show my nether regions to all and sundry? I usually demote worn leggings to PJs, but these are the compression kind, and the bits probably ought to air out, ya know? It just kills me to throw them in the trash can.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you approach your training in a sensible manner and set you goal to being "finish with a smile" and that you have no other underlying health issues then, yes, going from zero to a marathon is achievable. Don't let the incentive a bigger donation for a faster finish time cloud your judgement. (Most new runners become victims of their own enthusiasm).

One suggestion that I'd make is that in the time between now and then you participate in at least one 5K, one 10K and a half marathon just to get some race experience under your belt. Running a race with 11,000 (or more) of your best friends can be intimidating and, even then, there's a huge difference between running 40 or 5 hours for a marathon vs 2ish hours for a half. Pacing and nutrition are very different.

If your races have pace bunnies (usually very experienced runners that act a pace leaders for varying finish times) latch onto the one closest too your goal time an stay with them, even if you find it a little slow resist the urge to pick up the pace. Better to finish a bit slowly than blow your brains out and DNF.

AnnPT77 had mentioned Body Glide. It's never worked for me as I sweat too profusely and it just washes away. My solution for chafing has been to use something along the lines of an under armour compression vest under whatever t-shirt I'm running in....bleeding, chafed nipples are a thing and quite unpleasant) and compression shorts under my running shorts (get longer ones to avoid thigh chafing).

On any race day do not wear any new gear or eat any new food, new gels etc. The plan is to avoid surprises.

Happy training!

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    1. You absolutely can be ready to run a marathon in 2024, especially if you are starting with C25K now. Like you said, if a week is tough for you, no worries in repeating it. The process of training and becoming a distance runner can help you get more in tune with your body and learn to listen to it both when it comes to hunger cues and possible injuries. Utilize dynamic stretching before your run.
    2. Your main worry should be over-use injury (shin splints, IT band syndrome...feet or knee issues). Pay attention and try to learn what is pain you can run through and pain that requires you to stop, rest, and regroup. I know that can be hard though.
    3. Shoes...if you're going to run a marathon, you are going to need to invest (at some point, ~when you're running like 15-20 miles per week) in a good pair of running shoes. As far as getting your gait analyzed...first look at the wear pattern on a pair of shoes you wear often to walk or run in. Do you see uneven wear (particularly on the inside or outside of the sole...?). That may indicate that you'd need a 'stable' shoe...vs. a neutral shoe. But most people can use a neutral shoe. Please get a pair from a running store or online from a running shoe brand as their return policies are usually quite good (like 30 days, even with being run in) in case you find what you buy causes you pain. Use the shoe that feels comfy....not sure unless you have any particular issues you really need to get more scientific than that. BUT...if gait analysis is part of the deal at the running shop you go to -- have at it.
    4. I wouldn't worry too much about losing weight while training for a marathon. You will need to properly fuel your body and once your long runs start getting long....you'll be hungry. Simple as that. Just fuel properly so you can recover well.
    5. Cross training --- do what you like/have access to...but remember to do some strength stuff for you core, back, glutes and hamstrings. Like start doing that stuff now, especially glute strengthening (ESPECIALLY if you sit often during the day...your glutes are likely very lazy...lol). This will help you to avoid over-use injuries as well.
    6. Be consistent. If you need to re-do a week, do that. If you need to walk instead of run, do that. If you need to rest for a week, do that. Just be consistent. Stay well hydrated (pay attention if you are a 'salty' sweater...even if you don't feel like you sweated a lot you still may need something like Liquid IV or Nuun tablets. Also, I'd suggest once you get to running ~more than 45 minutes....look into some type of fast fuel for your run (Gu or some other type of running gummy or gel --- or whatever you want, just has to have ~20-25 grams of simple carbs). When your long run gets really long you might want to bring some actual food like mashed potatoes in a baggie. But that's up to you.
    ----The most important thing for being able to finish a marathon (and improve your pace, if you're into that) is get the miles in. Don't focus on running *faster during your training. Your training runs (most) should be 'easy' ... as in they shouldn't 'feel' super labored to you, if you need to slow down in order to do that, then slow down. The important part is getting in the weekly mileage you need.
    7. Enjoy the runs. Listen to all the podcasts on your list that you haven't gotten to...or an audio book. Listen to a good playlist. Listen to the birds if you're in a nice natural area. Just enjoy it. Use it like meditation.

EDIT: to add, bc I saw someone else post it and I want to echo.
    NOTHING new on race day. Wear what you wear to train. Eat what you eat to train. Drive the same route...lol. Nothing new on race day. LOL
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options

(snip)
    I'm not a runner, but I am a 67-year-old late bloomer recreational athlete.

You say you're cheap. You know what's expensive, in money and other important resources? Joints, tendons, bones, muscles . . . etc. (Man, do I know it.)

Don't cheap out on timing the shoe replacements. Sure, buy last year's model, or something like that. But don't keep running in your shoes past their time.
  • springlering62
    Options
    ……So sez my husband
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

@Lietchi hmmmmm now that you mention it, hip and knees started tweaking me three or four weeks ago. 😢 I guess it’s time for a Shoe Requiem.

Likewise, I’ve got some leggings that have gone see-thru, but are otherwise flawless condition, and am having a terrible wrangle with my conscience. “Just one more time” or show my nether regions to all and sundry? I usually demote worn leggings to PJs, but these are the compression kind, and the bits probably ought to air out, ya know? It just kills me to throw them in the trash can.

On the being 'cheap' and thinking you can run just one more time in your shoes....do you have a way that you are tracking the miles that you have on your running shoes? RunKeeper I know allows you to upload multiple pairs of shoes and when you log/save your run it keeps track of which shoes you wore and how many miles are on them. You can manually set a boundary (I have mine set to 400 miles I think....). I know that when I start getting to ~300 miles, I need to start paying attention to how I feel...and usually then that's when I buy a new pair. I rotate between two pairs so I'm not running in the same shoe every run. So, I'll do my short runs (<6 miles) in my 'older' shoes and my longer runs in my newer ones with less mileage on them. Then when my old ones hit 350-400 (depending on how my knees/hips/back feel) they become hiking shoes.

General guidelines for running shoes is 300-500 miles, and you need a new pair. I have never gotten 500 miles from a pair of shoes...but I'm sure there are some who have.

It's extremely easy to tell once you put on a new pair of shoes and go for a run, that you were in desperate need of them. lol.

I'd also suggest trying to search for the older version of the shoes you like to see if you can find them new. Like I used to run in Mizuno's....but they changed the design between the 22s and 23s and I felt the fit was better for me with the 22s. I found a couple pairs on Walmart's website and just continued to buy the 22s until I couldn't find them new anymore, LOL. Last year's model will often be cheaper...and you can look at places like TJ Maxx or Sierra if you have those near you.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options

When my shoes start to wear, my back starts to have a bit of discomfort. This leads me to tensing up my upper body and then the pain hits the neck. For me that means I've gone too long. I find it much better to be proactive and track miles on the shoes than wait for the discomfort to set in. For me I lean toward the lower end of the recommendation ~300 miles or 3-4 months for me based on my lower mileage style.

I second getting a couple of pairs that are dedicated to running and cycle through them. Running in wet/damp shoes sucks. Plus the rotation allows you to being in new pairs while still having another option in case it doesn't work for you (new models often change fit).

As far as Body Glide, I like it around the under arms, but for thighs I prefer a compression layer to prevent chaffing. I'm a girl so a snug bra protects is my answer to nipple bleeding, but my husband usually runs with either a compression top or no top.

You've got this! I started at 5K fitness and ramped to a decent half marathon in 6 months. You 18 month plan sounds excellent. Stay healthy!

• TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Thanks @BrianSharpe the plan is to run at least two officials halves and hopefully a few unofficial ones. Getting the hang of listening to my body, the person I run with is definitely quicker and I am happy to run at my pace and have a smile at the end.

I have started WK4 and all seems good though as you said @westrich20940 things don’t always want to work. My knee seemed unhappy on the first run and then settled down after a couple of minutes.

I’m not sure what I should be doing in terms of cross training though I am signing up to go swimming two or three times a week from June. I am doing some rowing and weights on days I am not running.

I cannot believe shoes last such a short mileage @pridesabtch so I have joined strava so I can track my shoes. I am happy to pay to keep my joints intact @springlering62 though only what I have to.

Hopefully the sun is shining with you all!
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    My first non-stop mile running today! Only another 25.2 to tack on at the end. Time was 12:04.6 which is fine for my goals, it is all about the distance right now.

I have this very odd thing where my arms want to cross in front of my body as I run. I have to keep correcting them but the crossing seems to natural. Is this okay?

Good news @AnnPT77 is that my calorie burn so far looks to be in the demographic MFP pander to. Still losing steadily and not dramatically. I think my body is still getting used to these changes. The lack of caffeine is definitely confusing it at times.

You were so right @pridesabtch and even though my shoes have left than 200 miles on them they don't seem to be taking my weight too well. It might because they are 3 years old. They will be consigned to recycling tonight and a newer pair will take their place. Found a great answer to not spending too much @springlering62 my birthday is a couple of months away and my family always say they never know what to buy me - now they will!

Two other bonuses, I can touch my toes again, and the chaffing seems to have stopped. The body glide is unopened so I will pass it on to someone at work who is just starting out.

This much more fun than I expected at 53 years old! Have a great week everyone!
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options
    My first non-stop mile running today! Only another 25.2 to tack on at the end. Time was 12:04.6 which is fine for my goals, it is all about the distance right now.

I have this very odd thing where my arms want to cross in front of my body as I run. I have to keep correcting them but the crossing seems to natural. Is this okay?

Good news @AnnPT77 is that my calorie burn so far looks to be in the demographic MFP pander to. Still losing steadily and not dramatically. I think my body is still getting used to these changes. The lack of caffeine is definitely confusing it at times.

You were so right @pridesabtch and even though my shoes have left than 200 miles on them they don't seem to be taking my weight too well. It might because they are 3 years old. They will be consigned to recycling tonight and a newer pair will take their place. Found a great answer to not spending too much @springlering62 my birthday is a couple of months away and my family always say they never know what to buy me - now they will!

Two other bonuses, I can touch my toes again, and the chaffing seems to have stopped. The body glide is unopened so I will pass it on to someone at work who is just starting out.

This much more fun than I expected at 53 years old! Have a great week everyone!

Great job! The arm crossing can mean you are twisting your torso when you run. That lateral movement wastes energy and can cause additional wear where it isn't needed. It may be your gate when you run. Not a bad idea for your first pair of new running shoes to go to a specialty store and get a gate analysis. See if you are pronating, supinating, over striding or something else they can easily address. I like Brooks Adrenaline for overpronation/stability, whereas my friend uses the Brooks Glycerin a more neutral shoe. My daughter who is light as a feather uses the Ghost. We all have different needs and need different shoes.
    https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/shoefinder/ You can try this site for a general self analysis. Good luck!
  • springlering62
    Options
    I’d suggest hanging on to the Body Glide. As you lose large amounts is weight your body literally rearranges itself.

More than once, I found chafing was a precursor to something else- batwings disappearing, loose stomach or underarm skin tightening. I’m going through a “rash” of underarm chafing right now, have used half the stick of old Body Glide, and am grateful as all get out I didn’t have to wait for delivery. Oddly, it’s my feet that have suddenly gotten smaller, so once again chafing has foretold a change, but this time it’s hanging in so can’t wait to see what else might change.

Remember Claymation? That’s how I feel sometimes.
    xosrwqa38pd2.jpeg
  • rossmack07
    rossmack07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, be down as I have lost 20kg since last August 2022. I eat a lot of protein from usn which weight lost and I work out alot
  • TheMrWobbly
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Good point @rossmack07 , my macros were out on my diet, too much fat and not enough protein. I picked up some whey protein in vanilla flavour. With milk it isn't bad.

First non-stop 2 miles of running for over two years today, 2.13 in total, a little slow at 12:11.6 but not worried about the pace. A little warm out there even at 7am so happy to get that done

I'll keep hold of the bodyglide @springlering62 and not looking forward to some of the things you mentioned.

I had the gait analysis @pridesabtch and they have ordered me some Hoka One One Cliftons. I have stuck with Asics Gel Sonomas so it will be interesting to see the change. Without realising it I had worn away the grip mouding on the sole at the ball and the heel on my current pair. Happy to put them in the recycling.

Another long weekend here in the UK. Hope you have a great weekend wherever you are.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Oh no. You should look forward to them!

Any time I had something weird happen out of the hour, within a day or two there was a major, major change in my body.

When my butt collapsed to behind my knees overnight, it (I kid you not) lifted and tightened a couple days later.

I woke up one morning to loose, Play-Doh-like cottage cheese cellulite from my hips down and it totally vanished by the next day, replaced with smooth tight skin.

When stuff like that happens, it’s an utter shock to the system but portends exciting stuff.

My body never ceases to amaze me with its resilience and previously unknown ability to power through. Bodies are amazing things.
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. I am plodding along both physically an metaphorically.

Haven't yet found the joy of running @Jeanette_Hills , the temptation to stop is definitely more mental than physical. It is only week 8 of C25K so early doors.

Weight loss has slowed @AnnPT77 , after 3 1/2 weeks for the first stone it is 7 weeks for the second stone and the pace of loss will continue to decline. I have in mind I want to be 16 st XX lbs to be comfortable. I know you said running with excess worked for you @littlegreenparrot1 , at just shy of 6ft does under 17 stone sound reasonable?

Both you and @westrich20940 recommended cross training and I have gone with swimming and yoga as low impact activities. I can feel the yoga stretch though it does seem I am just wriggling around the floor a bit. Work have put a wattbike in the staff area so I can add cycling or does that sound a bit much?

The massage gun was an awesome recommendation @gooniesneversaydie71516 - what a revelation!

Shoes are still confusing me. I will use my current Asics gel sonomas up to my 5k. I have now got two more pairs ready to roll. You have 3 pairs in rotation @Lietchi though I am not sure why I would rotate rather than just use one pair and have another ready?

Booked a half marathon in Feb '24 @BrianSharpe and wanted to book a November half at a seafront near me though it looks like that might not be on. I haven't found a suitable marathon yet. The only ones I see are described as "challenging". My first search came up with the Beachy Head marathon which is more bonkers than challenging.

You will pleased to know we visited the Brookes site @pridesabtch and my better half is now sporting a shiny pair of Brookes! I don't think she will be joining me running though.

Heart rate still seems to be improving. I'll just have to keep to this pace for a while.
    iqwv5ih6wb4p.png

Once again, thank you, and I hope all is good wherever you are!