21 stone to 26.2 miles in 18 months - can it be done?

Options

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    Regarding rotating pairs of shoes:
    - it gives your shoes more time to dry out between each use, from what I've read
    - can be for practical reasons: I prefer to not use the same shoes outdoors and on my treadmill; I have an 'extra cushy' pair (different model) I use specifically for long runs

For beginners, I don't think it matters that much to alternate. I don't always alternate either 🙂
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options
    Great update!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Nice drop in average HR!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    A very small update. After a week off plan with visitors and supporting a 470km charity bike ride (I only did 70k across 3 days) kicked back in and finished C25K.

To avoid the heat ran at 6:30am, at 6:50am heard the thunder, at 6:52am I was running down a river that was pretending to be the Cuckoo Trail. Totally on board with the shoe rotation @Lietchi and my gortex shoes aren't bad at keeping water out however the big hole where my foot goes is a bit of weak spot.

Kept going and finished in 37:59 carrying about a stone extra water weight by the end.

I am going to do a parkrun on Saturday and then keep to 5k distances for a couple of weeks to see how I feel. My better half wants to go swimming with me which will be a nice boost and improve my cross training levels.

Nearly forgot to mention that my work, who started this all off, have entered me for a charity spot in the London marathon in April. Fortunately the London marathon is always oversubscribed so the chances of me having to be ready for April are very slim.

Have a great week wherever you are. Cheers!
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options
    Awesome work/progress!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,470 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly all props to you, my friend, for taking this all to heart. I wish you the utmost success!!!!!!! Following this thread with bated breath!!!!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    You have done well so far. I'll enjoy following your updates. I have known a few obese runners that I have followed online for several years. Mirna Valerio, aka Fat Girl Running, does ultras, another I have followed from half marathoner to iron man triathlete, another took about 2 years to go from couch potato to marathoner, despite living and running in the desert. It can be done, but it isn't easy.

There were a few running specific questions in here, most of which I can't remember at this point. Regarding the running shoes: damp shoes compress, so provide less support. They also start to smell bad -- really bad. Letting them dry out between uses helps. I also like to have more supportive shoes for long runs and lighter ones for short runs or races (except marathons). Ideal weight is the weight where you can do what you want to do without getting injured. For me that also included not chaffing. I rarely chafe any more, though running in the rain can cause problems which I avoid by using vaseline on anything that might rub: thighs, toes, butt etc. For men, a bandaid over the nipples on a long run or race may be a necessity.

Since you have finished C25k, I recommend going on to the One Hour Runner rather than Bridge to 10k. I didn't like the fact that the Bridge program went back to walk run instead of carrying on from C25k. Essentially it adds 5 minutes to one run until you are going 60 minutes non-stop. OTOH, there is nothing wrong with walk/run if you enjoy that. I have switched to that when dealing with chronic hamstring pain.
  • apressler3
    apressler3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also started my journey at a similar weight, 135 kg. As a 54yo who had one knee replacement in February and will have the other done on October, spare your knees as much as possible early in this process. The rule of thumb is every additional kilo adds 4 kilos of stress to the joint. So work on your cardio via elliptical or cycling at first at and phase the running in as you lose.

As for the chafing, before every workout apply the glide, and after every workout wash and apply antibiotic ointment.

Congrats on your start. Be kind to your joints until you are lighter, and keep us posted.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Calling @mrmota70

I can’t think of anyone better to give advice
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Calling @mrmota70

I can’t think of anyone better to give advice

Ouch on the spot. 🤣

But I appreciate the mention. I’ll provide some simple pointers to @TheMrWobbly
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Great insight @mrmota70 . When you said you finished your 10 year run with your previous employer I though you meant there was an annual employees race! I hope everything works out for you on that front.

I was almost 300 lbs and now about 265 lbs with my weigh-in due tomorrow. My general health is "touch wood" okay, always had low blood pressure when younger and seem to be in good place still.

Walking was my go to and I generally sit between 15-17 mins a mile as exercise. My seaside strolls are just for fun at around 20 mins a mile. I like to walk a 5k in between run days and take the dog when I can.

I have done parkruns before and my first one for a while was today - it was SOOO hot so I may stick to lonely running at 6 am until the weather cools. When I say it was a while, it was 1,302 days since my last parkrun! I wasn't too proud to walk mid-race when I found a bit of, all too rare, shade to cool down.

I do avoid inclines at the moment and I was trying to avoid them until I get under 238 lbs which should be the end of September hopefully. I do add inclines into my walks.

I am wishing you the best for October @apressler3 , was it running that damaged the knees?

The 'One hour runner' programme looks fantastic @spiriteagle99 . I have set my base as 5k (36 mins-ish) and will add more time to do 40 mins and upwards. I wouldn't mind an app that gives me vocal prompts like C25K did.

In this heat 5k appears to be my limit right now though we will see. 3 x 5k done, 38 mins in a torrential down pour and 2 x 36 mins in humid but dry weather. Definitely ready to stop at 5k so far. I will keep listening to my body and not pushing it if I am not comfortable. Progress needs to be slow and steady.

Thanks again everyone and thank you for taking time out to help when there are pressing matter of daily life to deal with. Hoping you all have a great weekend!

• apressler3
    apressler3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am wishing you the best for October @apressler3 , was it running that damaged the knees?

Thanks for the well wishes. My knee problems result from combination of genetics (it runs in the family) and playing a lot of rec-league hard-on-knees sports while too heavy. I used to play a lot of soccer and basketball into my mid 40s.

I've never found running particularly fun, but I do like cycling and have in the past done some randonneuring brevets. I have been working towards some 200k brevets as a goal, and will probably attempt one this fall before my second surgery. So I can definitely relate to a physical activity goal as a motivator for losing weight. Good luck to you.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Terrific news. Hal Higdon has a 30 week Novice Supreme plan, that might work for you. Or spend the next 6 months building your base and then follow an intermediate plan.
  • springlering62
    Options
    That’s exciting! That’s like getting the Golden Ticket!

We are so pulling for you!!!!!!!
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    [quote=“

I have upped my avocados, strawberries, bananas and tea @mrmota70 though I'm not sure what benefit I am looking for.

I have 4 pairs of shoes now @Lietchi and they are trail shoes to take my extra weight, all the same model. Two are new with zero miles thanks to my son. I have a separate pair for walking and a lighter pair for further down the line. Now I am competing for shoe space with my better half.
    3gl6gc3ztkgo.png
    The Hoka One One Cliftons just didn’t suit me @pridesabtch so I have pair going with only 20 miles on them.

My macros are better @rossmack07 though still not enough fibre which has unfortunate effects

Cross training is going well @westrich20940 with at least a one mile swim and a 20k bike ride in each week. I have to admit the cycling is easier than the running!

I think you got some of why I recommended what I did. Fruits will supply some of those numbers you need for upping your fibers. Watermelon, tea, coffee help with hydration and some electrolytes replenishment(soreness will be lessened). I’m not a big believer in Gatorade and sugary sports drinks. I’ll also on occasion drink a cup of pomegranate juice mixed with a cup of water. Bananas eat sparingly. The smallest ones are better for older folks and folks trying to watch their caloric intake if they’re looking at dropping a few lbs. Also not to ripe. I actually dig one that’s half way through its lifecycle. Green but not to green and just sweet enough but not sugary sweet. Find what works for you really when it comes down to it.

Nice shoe on that pic.