21 stone to 26.2 miles in 18 months - can it be done?

Options

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You are making great progress. If the plan is too easy for you, you might want to do a slightly more advanced plan. I did an intermediate plan for my first marathon because I was already used to running 30-35 miles a week before I started training. It worked well for me.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I have the solution for my yoga face-planting! Get the cushions from the chairs and place them around where you land. Then, in the pose where you lie on your front and do a passive stretch of the inside of the thigh use one of the cushions, nod off for 40 minutes! Works a treat - really refreshed and I bet that muscle is ready for anything :smiley:

Sorry everything is a little boring. The one bit of news is... I may have found my 'smile' @springlering62 . It wasn't an actual smile. I missed my run on Tuesday due to work commitments and the same nearly happened again yesterday. When I got my run in it felt really good. That is the same things isn't it?

My running partner has an ankle injury and has dropped out for now. I do have a little friend who is more than keen to join me on brisk walks
    rubzjzej5pgv.png

I moved to a different pair of running shoes @Lietchi and @pridesabtch and my pace has picked up without me feeling as if I am putting in more effort. The wear pattern on my old pair might say something about my technique though they were nearly three years old.
    kpxd26ynp6pj.png

My local parkrun has pace bunnies on the first run of the month @BrianSharpe so I will latch on to the 33 minute person if they have one this Saturday.

I have to say the 'runger' is real @AnnPT77. I want to devour the contents of the fridge after a long run. We have got a rowing machine from a friend, I will take on board your points on bad technique. One thing I am sure of @westrich20940 is that 8 miles was my limit without in-run fuel. I am going to try some gels. Do you take one before you start the run?

The only glitch is that I haven't gone swimming @littlegreenparrot1 so my core work needs more input @Jeanette_Hills . The lane swim is 8:30 in the evening and it is proving difficult for us both to feel motivated late in the day. Any thoughts on how to gee us up appreciated.

Well, duty calls. Stay awesome everyone!

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options

The only glitch is that I haven't gone swimming @littlegreenparrot1 so my core work needs more input @Jeanette_Hills . The lane swim is 8:30 in the evening and it is proving difficult for us both to feel motivated late in the day. Any thoughts on how to gee us up appreciated.

Great stuff.

Regarding getting going - I once read an interview with an Ultrarunner where they asked her how she motivated herself to do the training. The response really stayed with me, 'It's not about whether I want to or not, I just do, the decision has been made'

So that's what I do, I make the decision. The me that wakes up at 5:30 with the alarm and has to drag out of bed thinks that the me who decided this was a good idea is a total idiot. But they don't get to interfere, no thought process happens. Its just up, quick drink, out the door. Once I've got going I have a lovely time, its just that first step out the door.

Its the same as with housework, I don't want to clean the bathroom but I still have to do it, its not a negotiation.

So it might be worth trying to look at it differently.

I would agree, I recently found a great cartoon about motivation.

49stp35a0oei.jpg

But I also want to add some nuance: don't make it harder on yourself than it needs to be by, for example, picking a time that makes it harder.
    I have no issue running regularly when I can do it before dinner, but if I tried to reach the same weekly running mileage early in the morning, I would soon struggle (and be very grumpy).
    There's a difference between needing some discipline to create a new habit and forcing yourself to do something you really dislike :smile:
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have the solution for my yoga face-planting! Get the cushions from the chairs and place them around where you land. Then, in the pose where you lie on your front and do a passive stretch of the inside of the thigh use one of the cushions, nod off for 40 minutes! Works a treat - really refreshed and I bet that muscle is ready for anything :smiley:

Sorry everything is a little boring. The one bit of news is... I may have found my 'smile' @springlering62 . It wasn't an actual smile. I missed my run on Tuesday due to work commitments and the same nearly happened again yesterday. When I got my run in it felt really good. That is the same things isn't it?

My running partner has an ankle injury and has dropped out for now. I do have a little friend who is more than keen to join me on brisk walks
    rubzjzej5pgv.png

I moved to a different pair of running shoes @Lietchi and @pridesabtch and my pace has picked up without me feeling as if I am putting in more effort. The wear pattern on my old pair might say something about my technique though they were nearly three years old.
    kpxd26ynp6pj.png

My local parkrun has pace bunnies on the first run of the month @BrianSharpe so I will latch on to the 33 minute person if they have one this Saturday.

I have to say the 'runger' is real @AnnPT77. I want to devour the contents of the fridge after a long run. We have got a rowing machine from a friend, I will take on board your points on bad technique. One thing I am sure of @westrich20940 is that 8 miles was my limit without in-run fuel. I am going to try some gels. Do you take one before you start the run?

@TheMrWobbly --- I personally run on an empty stomach, so if I'm doing a longer run that will require fuel I DO take one ~10-15 min before my run (While I'm getting dressed/ready basically). If I'm going on a mid-range run (for me that'd be like a 6-8 mile run) I might just take one in my pocket and have it 30 min or so in. I think my personal limit for a run I'd do with NO fuel would be 6 miles, just bc I feel like I just hit a wall there.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    If I do load up before a run I keep it light with 5 oz of Greek yogurt with 5-7 oz of fresh fruit(cherries, mango, pineapple usually) and maybe 10 oz(half of my morning serving) of coffee or a 12 oz Celsius I’m good to go and it shouldn’t affect my run. To heavy an preload and I’ll feel it. However it’s not a set rule especially when doing a treadmill jog. Sometimes I won’t eat breakfast if I need to do an early run. I’ll have some cherries and knock it out. When I’m done wife’s French pressed me 20 oz of coffee and I eat my yogurt/fruit and on occasion I’ll eat some Mexican bread(Concha). I’ve run up to 10 miles either with the above or on empty(except for hydration) if not on the road before 8 AM. At my minimal take off I’ll wait 15 mins before I take off. I’m too busy sweating to be really hungry after most jogs. But this is me. I know I sound like a broken record, but I’ll say it again. Find what works for you and go with it.
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Oh my word @springlering62 I was so hoping you weren't right. My body is morphing in the strangest ways. On yesterday's run I could feel the blubbery base of my butt cheeks flapping around loosely as I ran. They definitely weren't there before. It was flabulous!

I was invited by a friend to run the River Adur footpath which is lovely.
    gexzb7o7z88f.jpg

They definitely regretted going at my slow pace. Tempted as I was to speed up I am listening to my body!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    Oh my word @springlering62 I was so hoping you weren't right. My body is morphing in the strangest ways. On yesterday's run I could feel the blubbery base of my butt cheeks flapping around loosely as I ran. They definitely weren't there before. It was flabulous!

gexzb7o7z88f.jpg

They definitely regretted going at my slow pace. Tempted as I was to speed up I am listening to my body!

😂😂😂 But it means progress!

I guarantee you your flabulousness will turn to fabulousness in a short time.

People think I’m clowning when I say my butt collapsed like a pair of 80’s ballon curtains overnight, and then firmed up within a couple of days, but it’s the gosh honest truth. It was a shock when it happened, though.

You should get a before butt and after butt photo.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options

gexzb7o7z88f.jpg

People think I’m clowning when I say my butt collapsed like a pair of 80’s ballon curtains overnight, and then firmed up within a couple of days, but it’s the gosh honest truth. It was a shock when it happened, though.

TMI. You've been warned.
    I wish I'd done before and after naked butt photos, just for myself - the before being right after loss, the after a year or so down the road in maintenance.

Went from Sharpei to normal li'l ol' lady butt, both scary, but so much different/improved.
  • springlering62
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

gexzb7o7z88f.jpg

TMI. You've been warned.
    I wish I'd done before and after naked butt photos, just for myself - the before being right after loss, the after a year or so down the road in maintenance.

Went from Sharpei to normal li'l ol' lady butt, both scary, but so much different/improved.

Well I was expecting something a lot more salacious than that, @AnnPT77 !!!
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    I have asked my family @AnnPT77 and there are no takers for the photographer role for my butt photo! Who knew ;)
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options

Definitely though about that motivation post @Lietchi . With my April marathon timeline I am using a garmin plan that has a half marathon in October which also means 10 miles next Sunday. This was my original plan and how far I have got:

Weight Targets :
    Under 20st by end May '23 *Achieved*
    Under 19st by end Jul '23 *Achieved*
    Under 18st by end Sep '23 *Achieved*
    Under 17st by end Dec '23
    Under 16st by end Mar '24
    Under 15st by end Jun '24
    Under 14st by end Oct '24

Running Targets :
    1 mile - end May '23 *Achieved* 22/05/23 12:05
    2 miles - end Jun '23 *Achieved* 28/05/23 12:12
    5000m - end Jul '23 *Achieved* 20/06/23 12:19
    4 miles - end Aug '23 *Achieved* 11/07/23 11:42
    5 miles - end Sep '23 *Achieved* 13/07/23 11:27
    10000m - end Oct '23 *Achieved 23/07/23 11:50
    7 miles - end Nov '23 *Achieved 29/07/23 11:36
    8 miles - end Dec '23 *Achieved 29/07/23 11:36
    9 miles - end Jan '24
    10 miles - end Feb '24
    Half marathon end Mar '24
    Full marathon before 20th October 2024

Speed Targets :
    5.5+ mph 5 km end Aug '23 *Achieved 03/08/23
    5.5+ mph 10 km end Oct '23
    5.5+ mph 15 km Dec '23
    5.5+ mph HM Mar '24
    5 km < 30 mins May '24
    10 km < 1hr Jul '24
    15km <1:30 hr Sep '24
    21.08km <2:10 Nov '24

I think it all looks okay for April so far. Any input appreciated!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Don't focus too much on the speed targets. As you lose weight and run more, you will get faster, but you don't know at this point how fast your body will be capable of running, and pushing it is likely to get you injured. Do most of your runs slow and easy. Once a week do a speed workout of some kind: intervals, tempo, race pace miles, hill repeats or strides. Just don't try to race all your training. For a marathon, endurance should be your prime focus. You go farther if you go easy.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Well @TheMrWobbly I suppose you can do anything once. Just don't let this one time ruin you for years. If the IT band is tweaked I'd forgo another long run in favor of ice and rest. Then start your taper.
  • springlering62
    Options
    I was telling someone this morning how awesome one of my friends (you!) is, and how it’s possible to be proud of random internet people you don’t even know. Keep on.

I can’t wait to see you meet your goal. You are blooming awesome!!!!
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Thank you @springlering62 - you have no idea how much that means! You are an inspiration to so many on here. I'll will think of your success when I hit that wall!
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Picked up my race pack today.
    ocrcmxm889op.png

There are not many Walkingtons in the world. Three of us are in this marathon! There is a Walkington society so I have reached out to my Dad to see if he can contact them. The chances of being able to meet in amongst 50,000 people are pretty slim though.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Best of luck! Enjoy the experience!