"Are you turning into a man?"

Options
This is what my husband asked me this morning when he saw me drinking my whey protein shake after lifting weights this morning. I'm starting stage 2 of nrolfw this week. How can I convince my husband that I will not "look like Jillian" when I'm done?- he's apparently not a fan of her arms/shoulders. Should I just make him read the book?

Replies

• nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Bump. My bf just told me when I pointed out my shoulders are getting some definition that usually "people avoid training shoulders because it makes them look primitive". So I'm interested in this topic and whether "Jillian arms" are a risk.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    This is what my husband asked me this morning when he saw me drinking my whey protein shake after lifting weights this morning. I'm starting stage 2 of nrolfw this week. How can I convince my husband that I will not "look like Jillian" when I'm done?- he's apparently not a fan of her arms/shoulders. Should I just make him read the book?

hahahahahahahahahahaha, my husband said the same thing when i trotted home with a tub of protein powder!

to be honest i wouldnt mind jillian michaels arms/shoulders....!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I love to see a woman with a little muscle/definition on her body -- it shows she takes care of herself in diet and exercise. The world is filled with slobs eating whoppers, fries, and diet sodas while running to the doctors for their prescriptions just to get through the day. Husbands should be glad their wives take the time and effort to be healthy and look good!
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a smart *kitten*, so I would just tell him yes, that my penis will be much larger then his, and go on about my day.
    My bf just told me when I pointed out my shoulders are getting some definition that usually "people avoid training shoulders because it makes them look primitive". So I'm interested in this topic and whether "Jillian arms" are a risk.

I don't even know what this means= "makes them look primitive"?

I would think if you keep your body fat % above a certain point then you won't have to worry about looking super muscular. It's not like anyone works out once, goes to bed, and the next morning wakes up with awesome definition and super developed muscles.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why people are so afraid of looking like Jillian.

wX91eU2l.jpg

Since when is that manly?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    If your guys are worried that you'll out lift them, and that would be my guess, then slap their backsides and tell them to get to it.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm kind of a smart *kitten*, so I would just tell him yes, that my penis will be much larger then his, and go on about my day.

I'd probably do the same and tell him to brace himself for the new gay lifestyle y'all are about to start living. Frankly, it's such smart *kitten*, rude comment, I would probably respond along the same lines.

<insert thoughtful, mature alternative response here>
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why people are so afraid of looking like Jillian.

wX91eU2l.jpg

Since when is that manly?

I think it's from a large group of very out of shape people who have no clue about how much work it takes for anyone (men and women alike) to actually build enough muscle and lose enough fat to get "ripped." Someone commented on one of these threads not too long ago that yea, "I didn't go to college because I was afraid that I'd accidentally get a Ph.D." I think that sums up my view of this issue nicely.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    whaat Jillian doesn't look anything like a man... that's silly. I wouldn't mind having her body!
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Why I'm glad I'm single
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I think there is a very deep cultural stereotype that women are supposed to be weak, helpless and taken care of by the men in their lives. Even people who don't believe this have been bombarded with the message all their lives. Maybe there is a part of him that feels uneasy with you doing some of the things that used to be mainly in the domain of men and will result in you being stronger, and looking it.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Does he even lift?
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    I want to look like Jillian, she does not look manish, she has sexy arms and shoulders
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options

wX91eU2l.jpg

I think she's sexy as hell, and I would LOVE to look like that! (I think my husband would concur, although he is quite pleased with my figure as it is)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    This is what you say when any guy says something ridiculous like that:

"Would you like to borrow one of my balls? That way, you'd have one, and I'd still have two."
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Next time just say:

"Yes. I've always wanted to pee in the bushes."
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Jillian is exactly the look I am going for.

My husband has admitted he preferred the way I looked "10 to 15 pounds ago", but he is totally supportive of my efforts.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Umm, I would KILL to look like Jillian! If my boyfriend didn't want me to, I'd tell him too bad. It's my body and my goals :flowerforyou:
  • pilot1960
    pilot1960 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Erm, Never. Great looker that woman.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    BWAHAHAHAH!! Somehow this comment sums it up for me this morning. Thanks for the laugh :)
    Does he even lift?