Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,359 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Skyler103 wrote: »
    It sure seems like the percentages should be reversed when I have to pee 20 times a day right before a whoosh!

It's because (in a lot of cases) a whoosh is a quick release of water retention, not a quick release of fat.

Theory is that the fat loss was creeping along in the background, masked by water retention slowly creeping on (possibly because of diet-related physical stress and cortisol, possibly other reasons). The water can release rather suddenly, unmask the fat loss that had been happening, but that was hidden by the water retention.

I've read that and it sounds like the logical conclusion even though it's apparently a hypothesis at the moment. That would be a very expensive ward study waiting for that to happen and then determining that was the actual cause and the conclusions from a study needs a control for comparison purposes, yeah for sure, way too expensive and never going to happen....It's a good hypothesis and one I'm willing to bet on. Cheers

My bad, casually writing "theory" when "hypothesis" is more strictly accurate.

I haven't seen any hypotheses suggesting that the "whoosh" phenomenon is sudden fat loss - have you? I don't know what the mechanism for such a thing would be.

I've seen too many people here report experiencing whooshes to believe it isn't a real thing, for at least some people. Seems to me it pretty much has to be water weight, since (vernacular) peeing like a race horse beforehand is also commonly reported, as above.

Personally, I've seen multi-pound weight drops overnight in periods of relative calorie stability during maintenance, though my main loss phase didn't have much of that stall then "whoosh" pattern that some others report.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,948 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Skyler103 wrote: »
    It sure seems like the percentages should be reversed when I have to pee 20 times a day right before a whoosh!

It's because (in a lot of cases) a whoosh is a quick release of water retention, not a quick release of fat.

Theory is that the fat loss was creeping along in the background, masked by water retention slowly creeping on (possibly because of diet-related physical stress and cortisol, possibly other reasons). The water can release rather suddenly, unmask the fat loss that had been happening, but that was hidden by the water retention.

I've read that and it sounds like the logical conclusion even though it's apparently a hypothesis at the moment. That would be a very expensive ward study waiting for that to happen and then determining that was the actual cause and the conclusions from a study needs a control for comparison purposes, yeah for sure, way too expensive and never going to happen....It's a good hypothesis and one I'm willing to bet on. Cheers

My bad, casually writing "theory" when "hypothesis" is more strictly accurate.

I haven't seen any hypotheses suggesting that the "whoosh" phenomenon is sudden fat loss - have you? I don't know what the mechanism for such a thing would be.

I've seen too many people here report experiencing whooshes to believe it isn't a real thing, for at least some people. Seems to me it pretty much has to be water weight, since (vernacular) peeing like a race horse beforehand is also commonly reported, as above.

Personally, I've seen multi-pound weight drops overnight in periods of relative calorie stability during maintenance, though my main loss phase didn't have much of that stall then "whoosh" pattern that some others report.

There's really no such thing as quick and sudden fat lose. There is however maximum fat oxidation which is some where around 1g/minute, can't remember exactly, which has to do with our V02 max but it's still about CICO and we need about 3500 fewer calories to oxidize 1lb of fat and I haven't heard that described as a whoosh, on the contrary, it's hard work. Water weight on the other hand can be and like you've described a physiological adaption to elevated cortisol or high sodium or eating a lot of carbs(say hello to late night snacking and sugary things) when the prior few days were very low consumption, medication et al and we can literally dump water a lot quicker than we can oxidize fat molecules.

The problem with most research scientists that are worth their salt is, they don't draw conclusions without seeing the actual evidence first and because this hasn't been a specific question where someone was contracted to study this particular phenomena the answer is still up in the air, so to speak, even though the results would be a forgone conclusion that it is water weight that is being shed to expose the weight loss that was happening simply because of the maximum fat oxidation confounder.

Or at least that's my theory/hypothesis :D and for the people that may not know why Ann corrected herself when saying it was a "theory" it's a moot point in the context of this discussion really but there is a difference. A theory describes a natural phenomenon that is basically accepted among the scientific community from data collected from research done, basically everyone agrees. An hypothesis is a purposed explanation or basically an educated guess in leu of scientific data that would be hopefully considered logical enough to then apply further scientific rigor. Cheers

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    I think Ann is on-point with her hypothesis about the 'whoosh' effect. I have seen some research, which I can't find right now, that shows the body actually replaces the fat in the fat cells with water at least temporarily until the body has reached a certain point of homeostasis and then the water is released during the 'whoosh'.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,544 Member
    Options
    When my stomach growled as a kid, my mom would say,”Oh, that’s just worms”.

I thought the energy was all expended by the worms busy gardening the watermelon seeds that were “gonna grow in your stomach if you keep eating those things.”

We won’t even talk about swallowing gum.

ct9ne30kgod0.jpeg
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    As far as I understand it, most of the ‘energy’ is exhaled as Carbon Dioxide when you breathe.

I notice that there’s a definite link with urination in the early days but that’s water balance due to potentially a lower carbohydrate load in your diet. Carbohydrates require water to metabolise.

So, basically what your podcast taught you is accurate.

That's not quite right. The energy is used, not "exhaled." It comes from breaking down complex molecules, and CO2 is the major waste product of that process.

In a way. Yes, you have to "use" the energy by various and sundry activities in order to release it from your cells, but it is ultimately breathed out and expelled. You have to remember, energy cannot be created nor destroyed, merely changed. If we didn't expel it as we breathe, it would stay in our body.

You're not "using" the energy. You're using the energy. No air quotes. It's real. If you were breathing the energy out, you wouldn't be able to use it to make your heart beats or your feet walk or your cells do all the things we're completely unaware of.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    As far as I understand it, most of the ‘energy’ is exhaled as Carbon Dioxide when you breathe.

I notice that there’s a definite link with urination in the early days but that’s water balance due to potentially a lower carbohydrate load in your diet. Carbohydrates require water to metabolise.

So, basically what your podcast taught you is accurate.

That's not quite right. The energy is used, not "exhaled." It comes from breaking down complex molecules, and CO2 is the major waste product of that process.

In a way. Yes, you have to "use" the energy by various and sundry activities in order to release it from your cells, but it is ultimately breathed out and expelled. You have to remember, energy cannot be created nor destroyed, merely changed. If we didn't expel it as we breathe, it would stay in our body.

You're not "using" the energy. You're using the energy. No air quotes. It's real. If you were breathing the energy out, you wouldn't be able to use it to make your heart beats or your feet walk or your cells do all the things we're completely unaware of.

This is why I stated energy can neither be created nor destroyed. The energy must, by the law of conservation of energy, be released back out. In a way, you only borrow it. That's the only reason I put quotes around the term use. But, think of it however you like, it's all the same in the end.