Mental Block

Options
13»

Replies

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 810 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @AbsolutelyAnnie It sounds like you know yourself well! I love the tone of your message just as much as the message itself. It’s practical and there’s self love in there too, with a sense of humor. We would all be better off approaching obstacles in the same way.

You made me realize something… I’m not the same person I used to be, so what worked for me before won’t work now. In fact I’m entirely different, even my palate. When I turned 40 I completely altered the course of my life. I’m turning 42 in October and I’m just now realizing that I need to get to know Me.2 better in terms of needs and wants. That way I can live my life a whole lot easier, happier, and with a sense of humor 😊
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    @AnnPT77 You're exactly right, I can get the best advice and support in the world but it doesn’t mean anything if I don’t do something with it. This process was certainly not linear but it was completely worth it. And funny enough in the last 14 weeks it was less of a weight loss journey than it was a self discovery journey. It’s both surprising and inspiring that the benefits far exceed the weight loss. That’s just the beginning.
  • ddsb1111
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @AbsolutelyAnnie Just read the article and it’s easy to apply the work scenario to our everyday lives. I especially liked the section on ‘What are common causes of mental blocks?’ And ‘How to remove mental blocks’. I was shaking my head like, Yep!, the entire time I read it. Memory loss stood out to me as well, I definitely experienced that. I highly recommend the article to anyone else experiencing the same thing. Thanks for sharing!
  • ddsb1111
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Week 18 Update: Moving on to Phase 2

Starting- May 2023: 138.6 (Highest)
    Current- September: 122.4 (Lowest)
    Weight loss: 16.2 lbs

For those who haven’t followed, I wrote this post to figure out why I was standing in my own way and what I could do to change that. Even after getting excellent advice, mentally I pushed back for a little bit before I turned it around. But, it was the first step I needed to shift my thinking and then my actions.

So, what’s next? Well, completely foreign waters to me now…. Fitness 😳. My deficit made it difficult to go hard in anyway so I decided to do one thing at a time. Now it’s time for me to shift into maintenance and focus on changing my shape, improving strength, and increasing my flexibility.

You can see the weight loss in these progress pics. I believe my highest weight shown in the image is only 133, but I had actually gained over 5lbs between images, but it still shows the changes over time. One thing I’d like to highlight is something many advocates for fitness express- You can lose weight and get smaller, but fitness will change your shape. That’s what I’m going to do now.

746kua8f6fni.jpeg

Over the next 12 weeks I’m planning on documenting the physical changes but I’ll add measurements this time. The only thing I’m going to be doing is a 20-30 min Pilates video 3 times a week and eat at maintenance. I’m purposely not doing or adding anything extreme. I want to do something that beginners like me can try, and most (if not everybody) can carve out 20 minutes a day.

I’m not sure if anyone’s interested in this at all, but it’s something I may want to look back at and review. I felt like such a hot mess when this whole thing started and I’m kind of shocked to even have a Phase 2 of this process. Thanks for letting me share.
  • cheryls1mx3
    cheryls1mx3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    I just responded to someone else’s thread about weighing and measuring to take the guesswork out of logging. I know this is solid advice, but for many months I haven’t been taking it. Has anyone else had these mental blocks preventing them from doing something they know works? Why does this happen? What did you do to shake it? It genuinely feels like my mind is pushing back and I can’t figure out how to override it. Thanks for any and all advice or personal experiences you may have.

Hey there! 🙋‍♀️

I totally feel you on those mental blocks - they can be a real pain! 😩 It's like you know what works, but somehow your mind throws a curveball. 🤷‍♀️ Happens to the best of us!

As for why it happens, well, our brains are funny creatures. Sometimes, it's just resistance to change or getting out of our comfort zones. 🧠 But understanding that it's a common thing can help you tackle it.

To shake it, you can try a few things:

Start Small: Maybe ease into it - like try weighing and logging one meal a day to get back in the groove. 🍽️
    Find a Buddy: Sometimes, having an accountability partner can help. 🤝Or jump on the thread I started were I am wanting to help people for free. Helps me practice for my actual clients <3 Here's the link:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10899294/fun-weight-loss-chain#latest
    Positive Affirmations: Tell yourself you got this! 💪 You've done it before, and you can do it again.

And remember, we're all in this together! 🌟 So don't stress too much, you'll break through that mental block. 🧠💥

Cheers!
    Cheryl 🎉

• ddsb1111
    edited September 2023
    Options
    @cheryls1mx3 This is good advice and something I took to heart when I started. It got harder before it got easier but fortunately I’m going strong and steady. On week 18 now and shooting for new goals I couldn’t imagine creating at the time. Thanks for the support.
  • cheryls1mx3
    cheryls1mx3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    @cheryls1mx3 This is good advice and something I took to heart when I started. It got harder before it got easier but fortunately I’m going strong and steady. On week 18 now and shooting for new goals I couldn’t imagine creating at the time. Thanks for the support.

That's awesome! 🙌 Starting can be tough, but you're crushing it at week 18! 🚀 Keep pushing, and those new goals will be within reach before you know it. I'm here for the support anytime! 💪😊
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is because you really don't like or want to do it. It isn't like you have to do that to lose weight...but it is a very helpful stratety for someone who takes to it naturally or wants to do it..
  • ddsb1111
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Maybe it is because you really don't like or want to do it. It isn't like you have to do that to lose weight...but it is a very helpful stratety for someone who takes to it naturally or wants to do it..

Mental blocks can be confusing so I see why you would say that. Heck, most people ask for advice and never take it so I get it. I hope you read the rest of the post, I did really want it.
  • karenmorgan946517
    karenmorgan946517 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just as I have body dysmorphia, I also have serving size dysmorphia. I really can’t tell the difference between nine chocolate chips and 30, Did I eat 4 ounces of chicken or 2 pounds?

We use fences to keep our pets safe. Fences keep them out of danger, zones and places they don’t need to be winging and measuring my food does the same for me it’s a safety fence.
  • ddsb1111
    edited May 3
    Options
    Week 18 Update: Moving on to Phase 2

Starting- May 2023: 138.6 (Highest)
    Current- September: 122.4 (Lowest)
    Weight loss: 16.2 lbs

For those who haven’t followed, I wrote this post to figure out why I was standing in my own way and what I could do to change that. Even after getting excellent advice, mentally I pushed back for a little bit before I turned it around. But, it was the first step I needed to shift my thinking and then my actions.

So, what’s next? Well, completely foreign waters to me now…. Fitness 😳. My deficit made it difficult to go hard in anyway so I decided to do one thing at a time. Now it’s time for me to shift into maintenance and focus on changing my shape, improving strength, and increasing my flexibility.

You can see the weight loss in these progress pics. I believe my highest weight shown in the image is only 133, but I had actually gained over 5lbs between images, but it still shows the changes over time. One thing I’d like to highlight is something many advocates for fitness express- You can lose weight and get smaller, but fitness will change your shape. That’s what I’m going to do now.

746kua8f6fni.jpeg

Over the next 12 weeks I’m planning on documenting the physical changes but I’ll add measurements this time. The only thing I’m going to be doing is a 20-30 min Pilates video 3 times a week and eat at maintenance. I’m purposely not doing or adding anything extreme. I want to do something that beginners like me can try, and most (if not everybody) can carve out 20 minutes a day.

I’m not sure if anyone’s interested in this at all, but it’s something I may want to look back at and review. I felt like such a hot mess when this whole thing started and I’m kind of shocked to even have a Phase 2 of this process. Thanks for letting me share.

Well it’s been a year since I reached out about my Mental block. Here’s my update since I started Phase 2. Thanks for all the support I’ve received.

May 2023 138.6 lbs ( Spiraling)
    Sept 2023 119.4 (GOAL-RECOMP)
    May 2024 125.4 (RECOMP cont…)

Maintenance 120-125 lbs, but more importantly my goal is to continue reducing body fat, increase muscle mass, and feel more energized.

Also, I’m aware these changes aren’t a big deal to most people but it took a long time to get here. Weight loss isn’t over night, learning new habits doesn’t happen instantly, recomp takes time, but it’s worth it. This is a process, and when I leaned into that it made all the difference.

ui76n8aeuj5r.jpeg
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    While *none* of the pictures show *any* kind of *mess*... there is undeniable strength and awesomeness showing through.... even if you're choosing to wear hot pink! 😎 But you know that!👍
  • ddsb1111
    edited May 3
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    While *none* of the pictures show *any* kind of *mess*... there is undeniable strength and awesomeness showing through.... even if you're choosing to wear hot pink! 😎 But you know that!👍

Ha! The 👙 is my husband’s fave 😆. Happy to be feeling stronger and improving. Lots more to do here so I’ll be back reading the fitness section for a while for their wisdom. Fitness is such a completely different animal and I don’t want to run in place for too long.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    Oh, man, @ddsb1111: You are a champion, no question.

Every step has been a positive one. You look good in every photo, gotta say . . . but better and better, also. Big changes!

That last step, 119 to 125 . . . so, so good. Nice work!
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Oh, man, @ddsb1111: You are a champion, no question.

Every step has been a positive one. You look good in every photo, gotta say . . . but better and better, also. Big changes!

That last step, 119 to 125 . . . so, so good. Nice work!

Thanks so much. Having the side by side images helped me see things I couldn’t see during the process. Now I feel more confident that I can do this and push myself even more.

Shame I don’t have pics from the first 40 lbs I lost but I think as I build muscle and lean out, I’ll be glad to have these.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,532 Member
    Options
    Also, I’m aware these changes aren’t a big deal to most people but it took a long time to get here. Weight loss isn’t over night, learning new habits doesn’t happen instantly, recomp takes time, but it’s worth it. This is a process, and when I leaned into that it made all the difference.

Except it is a big deal.

You took a long hard look at something that was a roadblock for you, and then worked through it.

That’s huge.

Congratulations!
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Inspiring! Way to stay dedicated!