New looking for help

Options
Hi my name is Destiny I'm 25 and I'm just looking for help and encouragement. I've never really had a good relationship with food and have no idea what I'm doing I'm trying to stay positive but its hard. I kinda grew up with an almond mom and it wasn't helpful she was always skinny and I was always overweight I did diets and exercise lost some weight never was able to keep it off she got me on diet pills that suppressed my appetite and I'd eat 1 time a day lost weight with that too but gained it all back and I just need help to learn how to have a balanced healthy meal to help lose weight and well varieties too not just chicken and rice you know

Replies

• danoerla
    danoerla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything except diet pills… I am will to help in any way I can.
  • Arawra90
    Arawra90 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you would like some support.
  • HillaryIsAJoy
    HillaryIsAJoy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

When we tell ourselves “I’ve never really had a good relationship with food”, “I have no idea what I am doing” and “I’ve never been able to keep it off” that can leave us feeling confused, inadequate, hopeless or lacking somehow…of course it’s hard to stay positive when those thoughts are running in the background. 💕

Even if those things are true for you, thinking them and telling them to yourselves is no longer serving you. Our brain loves to tell these stories about ourselves and our past that can keep us stuck repeating the same patterns again and again.

What could also be true? That you’re healing your relationship with food? That you’re learning what to do? That you haven’t kept the weight off yet? That it’s possible to heal your relationship with food, master the steps and shed the extra weight (physically and emotionally) you’ve been carrying around?

You’ve recognized you’re capable of growing and that realization in itself deserves an award. ✨

How do you WANT to feel?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,704 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

@HillaryIsAJoy that’s one of the best posts I’ve seen around here.

@_Destiny__ welcome to MFP. I’m probably older than your mom, haven’t got a clue what an “almond mom” is, and was the worst possible le example to both my girls, who apparently watched, learned and did the exact opposite of me- much as I did watching my own dad’s drinking.

Many users have open diaries. If you need ideas, find a user you respect and check out their diaries. You can’t message a user unless you’re already accepted as a “friend”, so if you find a diary that intrigues you, friend that person and then message them. You’ll find all kind of folks here- vegan, vegetarian, KETO, IF (intermittent casters), pescatarian, low carb, or (like me) very high protein. I’d make sure you look at established posters, with lots of posts, because new users tend to be wildly inconsistent or experimenting, even under-eating, til they get in their groove.

You’ll also find good suggestions and recipes throughout, but especially over on the food and nutrition, and recipes boards.

There’s also a ton of recipe websites people will suggest. You’ll see the same ones coming up over and over and those are the ones to check out.

What’s worked for me is just taking recipes I like from places like Allrecipes and making tweaks and substitutions.

For example, Chef John over at Allrecipes has a fantastic World’s Best Lasagna recipe that I’ve altered repeatedly and can now make a pretty darn good chicken lasagna, using that recipe as a base, for under 400 calories for a sizable serving.

If you’re diligent, you’ll find your way, I promise. But if you take the “it’s too hard” path, well….like the Muppets, you gotta choose your way at that fork in the road. Fork?!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,704 Member
    Options
    And btw …..that rice you mentioned……high calorie.

We seldom eat it nowadays. Rather spend our calories elsewhere on something more filling. When we do, we eat half a serving or supplement it with cauliflower rice.

(“We” being the spousal unit, since he also MFPs)
  • aquaemt
    aquaemt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awe great job posting and getting things out there.. That's number one!
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    A great way to start is Ann's post, which you can find here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

There a lot of good advice just there.