Tofu ideas

Options
Trying to cut back on red meat, and cutting all processed meat out of my diet - thinking about trying Tofu. However I have never cooked it before. Any suggestions on low calorie recipes?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,898 Member
    Options
    If your trying to cut out red meat, then hopefully you'll fully embrace the texture and taste, it's out of this world. Just not my world. :) Cheers
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    @bionicrooster, I really like tofu. I eat it grilled, pan fried, sautéed, baked, marinated, warm and cold, in almost all ways.. lol you can buy it pre marinated and seasoned and ready to eat or you can buy the organic plain extra firm block and press and season it yourself. Pressing the tofu is important for a meaty texture, it releases some of its water. I place slices in between cutting boards and a clean towel and place a skillet on top for a few hrs before seasoning, and cooking.. as much as I enjoy tofu I have yet to try the silken variety in my smoothies or dessert recipes, but that is apparently a thing, lots of recipes out there, let us know what you end up trying and how you like it 👍😁
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My preferred applications are pretty limited to Asian cuisine. I particularly like it in miso soup or Thai coconut soup. Xtra firm is ok in a stir-fry...I don't mind the texture at all, but tofu is pretty flavorless so IMO, it needs to be cooked in/for a dish that has a lot of flavor.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    @bionicrooster, I really like tofu. I eat it grilled, pan fried, sautéed, baked, marinated, warm and cold, in almost all ways.. lol you can buy it pre marinated and seasoned and ready to eat or you can buy the organic plain extra firm block and press and season it yourself. Pressing the tofu is important for a meaty texture, it releases some of its water. I place slices in between cutting boards and a clean towel and place a skillet on top for a few hrs before seasoning, and cooking.. as much as I enjoy tofu I have yet to try the silken variety in my smoothies or dessert recipes, but that is apparently a thing, lots of recipes out there, let us know what you end up trying and how you like it 👍😁

I never heard of pressing it - that's a great idea!
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian and then transitioned to vegan and experimented a lot with tofu. It tastes like absolutely nothing as it is. It's not a bad option but in my opinion there are many other proteins that taste better, are easier to make and have better health benefits. I'm now transitioning off being vegan but I'm still partial to beans as a protein source.

Because you asked though, tofu need to be marinated, seasoned and well loved before being consumed. If there are seasonings and sauces you already like on meat, I'd recommend cutting the tofu in bite sizes and letting it sit in the seasoning and sauce overnight. You can toss it all in ziploc and let it chill. Then you can bake it, air fry or saute it. Tofu tastes great at restaurants because it's usually in a lot of fat. So make sure to use oil or butter (or both, lol) if you're looking for that type of quality. Otherwise, just be careful not to cook it too long or it becomes tough and strangely chewy.

My only tofu recipe I'd still consider making is tofu taco "meat." Essentially, firm tofu crumbled into little pieces like ground meat. Toss in a saute pan with broth, taco seasoning packet and oil. Tastes great and the texture is good too.

Happy tofu-ing!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options

This is probably unusual but I love it! I make mine with things like cinnamon, cocoa owder, plant protein powder, monk fruit, carob powder- I have used cacao nibs, crushed nut or powdered pb,
    I also love it baked, in tofu scrambles, and blackened too

cawab1jsj0c8.jpg
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    @VegjoyP , that is a beautiful bowl of tofu!!! That’s recipe inspiration right there 👍🤗
  • neanderthin
    Options
    @VegjoyP , that is a beautiful bowl of tofu!!! That’s recipe inspiration right there 👍🤗

That shows the diversity of tofu and it's certainly not something someone would think of doing, with a steak. Cheers
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    I don't like pressing tofu (find it tedious). What I do is cut up a block of extra firm tofu into the size/shapes I want to use (usually cubes, unless I want to make pieces to dip, in which case they're slabs or sticks). Then I put it on an oiled baking sheet with some space between the pieces, and bake it a 400F for maybe 15-20 minutes until it gets kind of dry. Sometimes I need to flip it to get it to dry evenly (depends on shape/thickness).

Once it's like that, you can put it in soups or stir fries or whatever, and it will quickly absorb whatever fluid sauce you put on it. I actually like the sticks or slabs dipped in . . . whatever. Anything from salsa to ketchup to peanut sauce to seasoned soy sauce to . . . ?

Another option for using it is to blend soft tofu into things, like Winter squash/pumpkin soup, bean soup, etc. It can be blended with Winter squash and layered with lasagna noodles and seasonings and what-not (if I wanted sauce in that I'd use bechamel not tomato), sage is good in it. Include ricotta if you eat dairy. You can blend a surprising amount of tofu into smashed avocado, and still have a guacamole-textured/flavored outcome, too.

You can buy tofu noodles at Asian groceries and some other stores - they're kind of chewy just heated, but good in stir-fries. I also bake those to crispy and use them kind of like people would the so-called crunchy chow mein noodles.

Another commercial product is baked or smoked tofu. I like the smoked tofu sliced thin with thin-sliced onions, mustard, and cheese (use vegan cheese or skip cheesecloth if you don't eat dairy) on an Ezekiel tortilla, heated, then add raw sauerkraut before eating (folded in half taco style). The smoked tofu is also good cut in small cubes in a veggie soup or stew.

Another traditional soy food to check out is tempeh. It looks and sounds a little scary, but the plain kind is quite mild-flavored, high in protein. You can also buy pre-marinated/flavored versions. I can't recommend specific flavored ones, because I buy plain and season it myself.

• VegjoyP
    Options

That shows the diversity of tofu and it's certainly not something someone would think of doing, with a steak. Cheers

I've made a " mock" tofu pumpkin cheesecake too.
    Next I want to coat in a nutritional yeast, chickpea flour coating and air fry
  • neanderthin
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Why would you do that? I mean pumpkin cheesecake rocks, I've made them myself and for the restaurant, but to replace the fresh pumpkin flesh with tofu make no sense to me personally, but I'm kind of a stickler for whole foods. I'm glad you find it intriguing and I'd imagine as a vegan being creative with one of the few proteins available I think it's a credit to you. Cheers.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Trying to cut back on red meat, and cutting all processed meat out of my diet - thinking about trying Tofu. However I have never cooked it before. Any suggestions on low calorie recipes?

I frequently cook tofu. Keep in mind that it has little taste but absorbs the flavour of the sauce it’s cooked in.
    My go-to is a tofu and vegetable stir-fry.
    Firm tofu is best for this. Get your block and unpack and wrap in a tea-towel for about 30 minutes. Place a weight on top such as a small pot filled with water. This will help expel the water within the tofu. Cut into cubes or squares 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch (or there abouts). Pan fry in 1tbs of peanut or canola oil until golden. Set aside. Then pan/wok fry garlic, ginger, onion, bell pepper, broccolini, bok choi, shiitake mushroom. Meanwhile, in a small bowl prepare a couple of teaspoons of soy sauce, a tbsp xiaosheng wine ( or mirin) a couple of tbsp of water, a few drops of roasted sesame oil and whisk into it a teaspoon of cornstarch until combined. Add tofu and prepared soy/xiaosheng sauce mix in. Stir until it thickens. Add chilli sauce to taste.
    Enjoy!
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I've baked it in a chickpea flour or chickpea crumb coating and like the result. (I don't have an air fryer. Since I'm ovo-lacto veg, I sometimes use eggs as a coating binder, but I know there are good vegan alternatives to get the coating to cling.) Nooch seems like an interesting add, may try that!
  • neanderthin
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Why would you do that? I mean pumpkin cheesecake rocks, I've made them myself and for the restaurant, but to replace the fresh pumpkin flesh with tofu make no sense to me personally, but I'm kind of a stickler for whole foods. I'm glad you find it intriguing and I'd imagine as a vegan being creative with one of the few proteins available I think it's a credit to you. Cheers.

Um, wot? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems more likely that the tofu stands in for the cheese/egg effect, rather than replacing the pumpkin.

That it would replace the pumpkin - an inherently vegan thing - instead . . . that seems like an odd assumption. Tofu is often used in various recipes (with other helpers) to partially stand in for eggs or cheese, though it's obviously not 1-for-1 for either.

Your right, I was thinking vegetarian, my bad. I would have probably used coconut cream and soaked cashews for that purpose but that's because I don't use tofu anywhere in my cooking and probably never will. Cheers

• NouveauRee
    NouveauRee Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My go to is tofu for endless varieties of stirfry. I usually freeze the tofu then thaw which makes for quick and easy pressing. It changes the texture to be more hearty and “meaty” then I’ll cut into cubes or strips and stirfry or air fry. Pressed defrosted tofu also crumbles super easy. Have fun experimenting and hope you find some new favorites!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

I'm an omnivore, but I like to experiment. I've made cheesecake with silken tofu. IMO, it's not as good as traditional cheesecake, but IIRC, much lower calorie and a perfectly adequate substitute, especially for people who can't/don't eat eggs/dairy.
  • VegjoyP
    Options

No it's both, pumpkin with tofu
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Um, wot? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems more likely that the tofu stands in for the cheese/egg effect, rather than replacing the pumpkin.

That it would replace the pumpkin - an inherently vegan thing - instead . . . that seems like an odd assumption. Tofu is often used in various recipes (with other helpers) to partially stand in for eggs or cheese, though it's obviously not 1-for-1 for either.

Yup, that's right. It's not replacing pumpkin
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    akuzmina1 wrote: »
    Have you ever consulted a nutritionist for dietary advice? I've heard that nutrition based on blood analysis can yield significant results.

At least in most of the US, it would be a registered dietitian a person should consult, not a nutritionist. It's different in other places, but here, in most states, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, with no serious credentials at all, or with a certification from a weekend course. Sometimes they're people who are actually selling supplements, maybe via multi-level marketing outfits, and using the "nutritionist" label to hide behind. Here, it's registered dietitians who are degreed professionals.