Tofu ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I enjoy tofu but on a limited basis. Tofu is estrogen mimicking. This can lead to unwanted and undesirable outcomes for those who make it a primary protein source. When I do enjoy it, I only eat organic varieties to avoid the heavy chemical load and gmo’s which are further hormone disrupters. Consider tofu to be to food as vodka is to adult beverages…a fairly flavor neutral ingredient that will accept, blend with or otherwise adapt to whatever you put with it. My favorite tofu treat is marinated baked tofu just by itself.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,913 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    @VegjoyP , that is a beautiful bowl of tofu!!! That’s recipe inspiration right there 👍🤗

That shows the diversity of tofu and it's certainly not something someone would think of doing, with a steak. Cheers

I've made a " mock" tofu pumpkin cheesecake too.
    Next I want to coat in a nutritional yeast, chickpea flour coating and air fry

Why would you do that? I mean pumpkin cheesecake rocks, I've made them myself and for the restaurant, but to replace the fresh pumpkin flesh with tofu make no sense to me personally, but I'm kind of a stickler for whole foods. I'm glad you find it intriguing and I'd imagine as a vegan being creative with one of the few proteins available I think it's a credit to you. Cheers.

No it's both, pumpkin with tofu

Ah, ok. Normally when a recipe says it's a "mock" it replaced the recipe's main focus (ingredient) and in your post you said you use tofu. What you actually did was add tofu to the pumpkin mixture, so it's still pumpkin cheesecake that uses pumpkin.

That's just more confusing for people imo. It's like serving "mock hamburgers" and say your using tofu but then forget to tell people it also has beef. In reality, it probably took away from the beef taste and texture and the 2 things a good burger should hope to retain. Cheers

• nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I don't use Tofu in my kitchen, but do enjoy it in an Asian dish. There IS one dish I would use it for, however ... as an egg substitute in egg salad ... which is how I first every had it in a long-ago restaurant sandwich ... finely minced tofu in place of eggs and served with edam cheese and cucumber slices with alfalfa sprouts and tomato on a whole grain artisan bread. Superb! PS ... I don't know how the tofu 'egg' salad was made, but I couldn't tell the difference between the egg version and this one.
  • Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love tofu! I always found it tasted delicious when I let it drain for a bit, then use a napkin to pat it dry. I always cubed my tofu and would make a marinade (mostly soy sauce or teriyaki sauce) and let the tofu soak it up over night in the fridge. Then pan fry it and eat over rice and veggies, or even over a salad.

I also love taking about 2 or 2.5 ounces of tofu (again let it drain and then pat it dry) and mashing it with a fork. Then scramble it with eggs. It make scrambled eggs so much fluffier, softer and higher in protein.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    @VegjoyP , that is a beautiful bowl of tofu!!! That’s recipe inspiration right there 👍🤗

That shows the diversity of tofu and it's certainly not something someone would think of doing, with a steak. Cheers

I've made a " mock" tofu pumpkin cheesecake too.
    Next I want to coat in a nutritional yeast, chickpea flour coating and air fry

Why would you do that? I mean pumpkin cheesecake rocks, I've made them myself and for the restaurant, but to replace the fresh pumpkin flesh with tofu make no sense to me personally, but I'm kind of a stickler for whole foods. I'm glad you find it intriguing and I'd imagine as a vegan being creative with one of the few proteins available I think it's a credit to you. Cheers.

No it's both, pumpkin with tofu

Ah, ok. Normally when a recipe says it's a "mock" it replaced the recipe's main focus (ingredient) and in your post you said you use tofu. What you actually did was add tofu to the pumpkin mixture, so it's still pumpkin cheesecake that uses pumpkin.

That's just more confusing for people imo. It's like serving "mock hamburgers" and say your using tofu but then forget to tell people it also has beef. In reality, it probably took away from the beef taste and texture and the 2 things a good burger should hope to retain. Cheers

It's a mock "cheese" cake, as the tofu is substituting for (not just added to) the cream cheese.
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of tofu as I am a vegan

My favourite thing is a tofu scramble - it looks and tastes (somewhat) like scrambled eggs if done correctly - and makes for a nice late breakfast at the weekend for all the family.

I also press, marinate and oven bake slices of tofu to add to my veggies/grains meals.

There are lots of things to do with tofu. I try and buy mine from the Asian shop as it is usually better value than the supermarket, but if I see it on offer in my local supermarket I stock up. Occasionally I make it myself - is easy but a bit messy :)

Be aware that the protein macros aren't amazing if you are also keen to keep the fat and carbs down. Definitely track it and see how it fits in with your day.

• dedeliebl
    dedeliebl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Tofu can truly be whatever you want it to be. A lot of people drain it, cube it, air fry it and add a sauce! (pan frying would work as well). I'm a fan of tofu scrambles (https://pin.it/3uCTMjR) or you can blend it to form it into so many different types of meals. burgers, meatballs, tacos.. some people even use it as the base for desserts (usually pudding). Pinterest is a life saver :)
  • amberchecker
    amberchecker Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have anyone ever tried Silken Tofu? How does it taste compared to the regular ones?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    Have anyone ever tried Silken Tofu? How does it taste compared to the regular ones?

IME, taste is the same - very neutral. Texture is softer/smoother, good for blending into things. It's less protein dense per weight/volume (because more water content) but roughly similar protein/calorie ratio.
  • karoulo
    karoulo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't have any particular recipe to add to everything that already has been listed, but I just wanted to say that it might take a while to get used to tofu. I remember the first time I ate it, I didn't get it at all - by now I actually even enjoy eating pure tofu. I just slice it up, put it on a knäckebröd with some cucumber, salt and pepper, and I find it delicious.
    Not to compare it tastewise, but in experience it was similar for me than with Avocado. At first I didn't like it at all, just because it was something very unusual, textual and tastewise, but once I had it a couple of times, I started loving it. So in case you don't get the tofu vibe straight away, it might be worth it to give it a bit time :-)
  • mindupnow
    mindupnow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tofu is great with seasonings tossed in cornflour and air fried! Then I make a sauce and toss the crispy tofu in it.

Another great meat alternative is jackfruit. It's not tofu but it can replace things like pulled pork.

Instagram is where I get the most of my recipes for tofu. People like Prunch, veganrd and so forth.

Have fun!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    mindupnow wrote: »
    Tofu is great with seasonings tossed in cornflour and air fried! Then I make a sauce and toss the crispy tofu in it.

Another great meat alternative is jackfruit. It's not tofu but it can replace things like pulled pork.

Instagram is where I get the most of my recipes for tofu. People like Prunch, veganrd and so forth.

Have fun!

I agree that jackfruit is really tasty. For some purposes, green (less ripe) jackfruit is best, for others the ripe jackfruit.

One thing new veg folks should realize, though: Though it has a "meaty" texture and can stand in for meats well in some dishes, jackfruit is quite low in protein. Nutritionally, it's kind of a routine fruit/veg - i.e., nutrient dense - but not a high(er) protein fruit/veg, let alone a good overall protein source.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Consider tofu to be to food as vodka is to adult beverages…

What the what? I'm sorry, but no.

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Consider tofu to be to food as vodka is to adult beverages…

What the what? I'm sorry, but no.

Haha! I took this to mean as a flavor comparison. Vodka has no flavor, so anything you mix it with will be the flavor. Same with tofu: no real flavor alone, so it needs marinades, spices, mixed with other food, etc. I could be wrong, however, since I'm not the person who posted that.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    @BZAH10 lol - and my son took it even another way: that tofu should only be reserved for special occasions!

Just goes to show that many meanings can be found in Internet posts sometimes; however, I just don't think tofu and vodka are an apt comparison, especially in terms of nutrition.
  • AdahGreen2022
    AdahGreen2022 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    TOFU PATTY MELT
    grilled tofu topped with American cheese, grilled onions, relish, and mayo, on toasted white bread.
    I copied this from a restaurant and marinated the tofu in some stir fry sauce for a bit, baked it, and the fried it before putting it on a sandwich. Also make reubans with tofu cooked that way with kraut, cheese, and 1000 island on pumpernickel bread.