Ok to wear a white/gray patterned dress to a wedding

Options
Natihilator
Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
Yes or no?

nFtvHyT.png

Everyone I've asked has says it's fine but I'm still hmmming and hawwing over it. Also I'm going stag and will be 6'1, 6'2 in my heels so I don't need to stand out in a negative way.

Give it to me straight MFP.

Replies

• _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want, gurl!

I hate all those rules regarding weddings. As long as you aren't taking attention away from the bride, it doesn't matter.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I try to stay away from anything white (unless it's an accent color) when going to a wedding.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm still going to go with no.

I err on the side of caution. When in doubt, don't.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it.
  • Lovesthings
    Lovesthings Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It has enough grey to be ok. I like it!
  • Natihilator
    Options

I hate all those rules regarding weddings. As long as you aren't taking attention away from the bride, it doesn't matter.

Haha that's the question though! If I will take attention away from the bride.

Good thing I have several backup dresses, all with tags attached. Thanks for the replies thus far
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I'm still going to go with no.

I err on the side of caution. When in doubt, don't.

This!
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    No, unless you are the bride.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Good thing I have several backup dresses, all with tags attached. Thanks for the replies thus far

Short of showing up in a wedding gown it's going to be hard to take away from the bride. It's just one of those "things". I know some people don't care at all, some will give you a side eye. Some brides would notice, others wouldn't. I just prefer to keep clear of it all, just in case.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Since you're still hemming & hawing over it, maybe you'd be more comfortable in something else. I think it would be ok if you had a grey or black little sweater/jacket to wear with it (just to give it more color).
  • Natihilator
    Options

Short of showing up in a wedding gown it's going to be hard to take away from the bride. It's just one of those "things". I know some people don't care at all, some will give you a side eye. Some brides would notice, others wouldn't. I just prefer to keep clear of it all, just in case.

I meant taking attention away in terms of us being the only two people in the room wearing white. And really it is a white dress mostly. But I totally agree with you, I don't want to feel awkward making a faux pas.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    Since you're still hemming & hawing over it, maybe you'd be more comfortable in something else. I think it would be ok if you had a grey or black little sweater/jacket to wear with it (just to give it more color).

Yeah you're right, debating over it this much means I should probably just nix it. It will be a super hot outdoor wedding so I don't want to add clothes, haha. Thanks for replying :)
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    No. Try to avoid white or off white in any dress. I really is extremely offensive to the bride, its her day and the couple should be given the utmost respect. No exceptions.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    ps it is a very pretty dress and you will look awesome in it , just someplace else.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Its like the rule of "should I wear a suit and tie" for a guy. If you have to ask, the answer is yes

So Id say, no its not okay, brides one big day, leave her have it
  • Natihilator
    Options
    No. Try to avoid white or off white in any dress. I really is extremely offensive to the bride, its her day and the couple should be given the utmost respect. No exceptions.

THANK YOU. Everyone I showed pictures of (but of me wearing the dress) were all 'You look fab! Hot dress!' And I was like 'Thanks but this is not the point of me asking' haha. I think the grey pattern made me go 'maybe?' but let's be real, it's a white dress at the end of the day.

I need to ask MFP this stuff first instead :smile:
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hm... white after Labor Day...

Rock whatever you decide to wear, but anything overwhelmingly white (or whatever color you know the bride will be wearing) might cause a few less-than-pleasant head turns.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Ladies wore white at my wedding, as long as they weren't wearing a wedding dress I really didn't care :wink:
  • missability
    Options
    The dress is a beauty, but for someone else's wedding?....hrrrmmmm... not so much....