Ok to wear a white/gray patterned dress to a wedding

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Beautiful dress, but just a little too white for a wedding.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Hm... white after Labor Day...

Haha seriously?! Now THERE'S a rule I dgaf about.
  • gattejdi63
    Options
    Yes! I love it.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    That looks NOTHING like a wedding dress for a bride.

Go for it.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I've worn a plain black dress and a black dress with a sparkly pattern on it to weddings. Who cares?

And for those who think your dress is 'too white' for a wedding I disagree. I think it's pretty.

ETA: This is coming from the girl who got married on Donald Sutherlands boat in the middle of the ocean in Key West and wore a red sundress that I can wear over and over and over again so . . . . I'm really not into the whole "you should or shouldn't wear xyz to a wedding. OMG The BRIDE! THINK OF THE BRIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!" kind of person.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    On my wedding day I couldn't have told you what colour any of my guests wore!! I think brides who get all precious about people wearing white/cream need to get a grip. Unless it looks like a wedding dress, it doesn't matter as its obvious who the bride is!

You could always dress it with bright coloured shoes and cardigan/wrap to add in some colour.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Ladies wore white at my wedding, as long as they weren't wearing a wedding dress I really didn't care :wink:
    It ABSOLUTELY depends on the bride. I wouldn't have cared at all...but there's a lot of "Its MY day" Bridezilla's running around out there.

Great dress though...you'll look amazing when or wherever you decide to wear that!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    ETA: This is coming from the girl who got married on Donald Sutherlands boat in the middle of the ocean in Key West

Um, can we be friends? I like boats :)
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    What kind of bride cares enough about a woman wearing a dress that has SOME white on it? Shouldn't she be paying more attention to her impending marital bliss.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    It's a great dress. If you're seriously doubtful ask the bride?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Just don't wear a wedding dress. Or do. It'll be funny.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    No. There are very few clear cut rules of etiquette when it comes to clothing, but this is one of them. It's basically the equivalent of a guy wearing a light grey suit to a black tie event.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think the whole "Oh, only the bride can wear white" is silly. As long as you don't upstage the bride, I think you are okay.

Although, I did see photos from a wedding where one gal and her husband were in all white - I was confused for a bit because they were guests and not getting married!!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Just don't wear a wedding dress. Or do. It'll be funny.

2ch6yqp.gif
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have a problem if someone wore this to my wedding. How well do you know the bride? Is she the type to care? Could you ask her?

Ah maybe too much hassle, if you've got other options just go with one of them.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Too much white. The bride likely won't even notice it, but you'll run the risk of being less than pleasantly gossiped about by those who do have time look around.
  • pebbs80
    pebbs80 Posts: 102
    Options
    It's not all white so its perfectly fine.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Some people will notice, and some people will disapprove. It's up to you to decide if that matters or not.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    I wouldn't if it were me unless the bride specified otherwise. I'm sure you could find a dress just as pretty if not more so in a different color :flowerforyou:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Ask the bride