Ok to wear a white/gray patterned dress to a wedding

Options

Replies

• Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I avoid wearing white to weddings out of respect for the bride's big day. There was a chick who wore a white/silver dress to my wedding and I was like "really?" lol
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yes; it's a cute dress. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. There's absolutely nothing about that dress that would detract from the bride, and not wearing white after Labor Day is no longer valid.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous dress! I would probably avoid it out of an abundance of caution, but I don't think it really should be a problem. I was at a wedding where the groom's mom was NOT a fan of the bride....she wore an all white lace dress to the wedding!!! Now THAT was not cool! This dress is fabulous!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I dont see anything wrong with that dress, whatsoever! You look nothing like a bride in a dress like that. I only even realised it was 'white' till half way down the thread!! I'd call it a grey print!

But yeah, if people are that precious about it where you're from, you're probably asking the wrong person.....:laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider is that even if the bride doesn't mind her family might. I wouldn't have even noticed if someone else wore white on my wedding day, because the whole day was crazy and chaotic. But I guarantee my grandmother would have noticed and would have thought it was rude.

I think you're making the right decision to err on the side of caution OP.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When I read the title to the thread, I thought that sounds fine. I wore a dress that was black and white tiny checks to a wedding. But, when I clicked and saw it, I'm not so sure. On the one hand it doesn't look like a wedding dress, so that's good. But, it does look very much like a white dress with a little grey. If it was me, I probably wouldn't wear it because I would feel worried. But, if I was the bride and you wore it to my wedding I also wouldn't mind (unless the bride is wearing a very low key dress, then she might). So, it's complicated. That's why I try to steer clear of white unless it is within a fully mixed pattern in such a way that it is a component of the color, but not the main color. Like if it was white as a background, but so covered in a floral print that it was a floral print dress and not a white dress, then I would wear that.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Another thing to consider is that even if the bride doesn't mind her family might. I wouldn't have even noticed if someone else wore white on my wedding day, because the whole day was crazy and chaotic. But I guarantee my grandmother would have noticed and would have thought it was rude.

I think you're making the right decision to err on the side of caution OP.

I agree, it's usually family members that don't know the person that get upset (not the bride).
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The dress looks really nice and it doesn't look anything like a formal wedding dress. I don't think anyone will be confused or upstaged.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    After reading all these 50/50 replies I don't feel so silly debating with myself about the dress so much!

Update for anyone who cares: I don't even have the dress anymore, I returned it (it's super nice but it's really summery and I'm hoping to be a few sizes smaller next summer!) and bought this one on sale instead:

U1dXUrV.jpg?1

And there's no possible way it could offend anyone or break any rules. Case closed! Thanks for playing everyone :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Much safer. Cute dress. Well done.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Much safer. Cute dress. Well done.

Thanks! AND it has pockets, clearly making it the superior choice here.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'm still going to go with no.

I err on the side of caution. When in doubt, don't.

This. Just in case.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    The pink dress is very beautiful. You are going to look beautiful in that! I love it!
  • JMlifts602
    Options
    After reading all these 50/50 replies I don't feel so silly debating with myself about the dress so much!

Update for anyone who cares: I don't even have the dress anymore, I returned it (it's super nice but it's really summery and I'm hoping to be a few sizes smaller next summer!) and bought this one on sale instead:

U1dXUrV.jpg?1

And there's no possible way it could offend anyone or break any rules. Case closed! Thanks for playing everyone :drinker:

OP: SERIOUSLY THIS IS MUCH MUCH MUCH PRETTIER than the white dress. The hue of pink would look awesome with your complexion and hair color. Great choice to find another dress and to pick this one. WOW!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Great choice...the pink is really pretty! You'll be unique in the usual sea of black cocktail dresses, but nobody can say its not appropriate.

Have fun!! :drinker:
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine! It looks nothing like a wedding dress or a bridesmaids dress. If it did I would say probably not but it's perfectly fine!

EDIT: Maybe I should read more answers, lol. I think the pink is very pretty! But I don't think it would have been inappropriate to wear the white one.
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I try to stay away from anything white (unless it's an accent color) when going to a wedding.

yuppp ^^^^
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    Yes or no?

nFtvHyT.png

Everyone I've asked has says it's fine but I'm still hmmming and hawwing over it. Also I'm going stag and will be 6'1, 6'2 in my heels so I don't need to stand out in a negative way.

Give it to me straight MFP.

Definitely not. You don't want to risk making the bride feel like you are showing her up.

Any for of white is a big NO NO in my opinion.
  • AEMW8
    AEMW8 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Rules are meant to be broken. Especially if they're stupid ones. I say wear the dress. It is bs if someone is going to tell you that you're gonna take the 'shine away from the bride'. If they're paying more attention to your choice in clothing, they obviously don't care about the new couple.
  • cjanem50
    cjanem50 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sure, Why not? Beautiful dress!