What is your go to source for protein?

Options
abhishek19912017
abhishek19912017 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2023 in Getting Started
Included whey supplement intake, chicken and eggs in my daily diet. Still fall short of hitting the protein requirement daily. Any other foods that you recommend which is packed with high amt of proteins that could help my journey with lean muscle building?(PS - i love fruits)
Tagged:

Replies

• Cyclinggirl33
    Cyclinggirl33 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fish, canned tuna
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I love my Elevation Chocolate Mint protein bars. I have no shame in saying that I'll eat 2 a day - they're 270 calories a pop, so not negligible -- but they are a total treat (to me) and provide 40g protein. Another favorite snack is 1 ounce Bel Gioioso Parmesan cheese and 21g walnuts, which comes in at 247 calories and 13g protein. If I make tiny slices of the cheese and break the walnuts in half, it feels like a lot.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you trying to get in a day? Where did you get those numbers from?
  • Sylebration
    Sylebration Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese! It's my fav lol. Also peanut butter. I'm a fan of the white chocolate flavor 😋 but any kind you like is great. Nuts are also a good one. Beans are another easy protein source you can add to just about any meal.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the above....Greek Yogurt
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Well, it's hard to beat lean animal protein and you get the best bioavailability as well. Seafood is very good with around 20-25g's of protein per 100g's and most around 100-125 calories. Building lean muscle is more about exercise and consuming a few hundred extra calories. Cheers
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    yogurt, cottage cheese, dairy milk or soy milk, legumes, shrimp, lean pork, lean beef, smaller boosts from grains, veggies, nuts, and seeds.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Seafood and poultry are my main protein sources. I sip on bone broth here and there for some extra during the day and to personally limit my coffee.

Since you said you love fruit.. avocados have protein..

j29czvd7hdcs.png
  • serpentegena
    serpentegena Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese! It's my fav lol. Also peanut butter. I'm a fan of the white chocolate flavor 😋 but any kind you like is great. Nuts are also a good one. Beans are another easy protein source you can add to just about any meal.

Peanut butter and nuts are not good protein sources. They have a very high fat content for the amount of protein they provide, and tip the macro proportions away from a balanced diet. Beans are a good vegetarian suggestion, though!
  • serpentegena
    Options

There are online lists of foods ordered by the protein content per mass or per calorie. The most protein-dense foods are typically seafood, then meat, then the other stuff. But knowing shrimp is full of protein and incorporating it into your regular menu and kitchen routine are two different things.

My best suggestion, if you want a quick fix, is nutritional yeast. A whopping 18g of protein in a quarter cup. It's ridiculous. I will typically make a dish such as aloo gobie, dal, ratatouille, or just any kind of stew or soup, then slam 1/4 cup of this bad boy in my plate on top of it. Texture is weird, and it has a vaguely cheesy flavor that takes getting used to. But the protein content makes it all worth it!

Second best, putting protein powder in other dishes like pudding or oatmeal. A cool 27g of protein for breakfast, let's gooo 💪

Third best, replacing the starchy side-dish to a steak with one of my three secret weapons: black beans(18g protein/cup, cooked), lentils(18g /cup, cooked) or buckwheat(~6g/cup, still better than rice or potatoes).

For better results, combine several or all of these to inch closer to your protein goal. I know that struggle🙏
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Check this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein/calorie efficiency, i.e., most protein for fewest calories. Find foods you like on that list, eat more of those, less of something else.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    I'm also not sure why you felt the need to call out my comment. Just make your own and continue the day. I'm just going to agree to disagree here.

Preach it, sister! Was going to post something similar, but you beat me to it, lol.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Each week, my average dinner menu includes:

2 chicken meals
    1 pork meal
    2 hamburger meals
    1 other-meat type (fish, sausage, etc)
    1 non-meat meal (lasagna, pizza, French toast with scrambled eggs, etc)

Almost all my meals are served with milk to drink, and the leftovers become lunch on a future day. Throw in protein shakes on days I lift, and I rarely have to sweat reaching my protein goals.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    i love johnsonville sausage with zucchini noodles. higher in calories but get we gotta eat!
  • serpentegena
    Options

Peanut butter and nuts are not good protein sources. They have a very high fat content for the amount of protein they provide, and tip the macro proportions away from a balanced diet. Beans are a good vegetarian suggestion, though!

So, I completely disagree with your assessment and so do many medical professionals.

I never made any statements of value about fat. I specifically said that the protein sources you cited aren't good sources of protein, meaning they are not adapted to the goal of increasing overall protein because they also increase fat a great deal.
    You can disagree all day, that doesn't make you correct. But I'm not going to hold it against you if you enjoy peanut butter, that's your business.
    I'm also not sure why you felt the need to call out my comment. Just make your own and continue the day. I'm just going to agree to disagree here.

I called you out because you are propagating the common misconception that to increase protein, it is a good idea to supplement with fat-rich foods like nuts and peanuts.
  • serpentegena
    edited July 2023
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

While I would agree that nuts and nut butters are more of a fat source than a protein source, I disagree that they tip proportions away from a balanced diet. Healthy fats should absolutely be part of a balanced diet.

As to the OP, I eat a lot of chicken and fish. I also eat eggs everyday. Those would be my primary sources and then of course I have smaller amounts coming in from other sources like vegetables and grains, etc. Without supplementing I can pretty easily hit around 120 grams per day...150ish with supplements...I'm usually somewhere between those numbers and that's fine. Contrary to popular belief you don't need a gazillion grams of protein daily.

Is it false to assume that OP is already having a healthy amount of fats in his diet? He also mentions wanting to build lean muscle and encouraging him to supplement his fat intake seems counterintuitive to his goals.

Actually, several medical studies have shown (and you can check the notes of Jeff Nippard, Dr. Mike Israetel and Jeremy Ethier on this) that for people doing resistance training, abundantly supplementing protein above the 1g/lb. of bodyweight/day was almost always correlated with superior muscle hypertrophy and better training performance among other things. And this, with virtually no negative effects, digestive or otherwise. So the science suggests supplementing protein intake while training is, indeed, recommendable and the way to go. And most people barely hit a normal protein intake of like 0.7g/lb. bodyweight/day in their regular diets.
  • BriansTrident
    BriansTrident Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    For me I’ve been taking in a lot of grilled chicken, egg whites, whey protein and and the occasional spoon of peanut butter
  • MovinNow
    MovinNow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken, beef, Grilled fresh salmon or Atlantic cod (expensive but in season now, try to have once a week), Whey Protein powder (no soy), lowfat Greek yogurt, Cottage cheese, sardines, cheese