Counting macros on MyFitnessPal

Options
Hi All, I've been using MyFitnessPal for years and recently tried to log my food in order to understand my intake and where I need to make changes to reach my Protein count.
Even more recently, I have been trying to lower my meat consumption.
I read a few sources that help understand where to find protein in vegetable sources, but when I compare my total macros given by MFP and the numbers I get from other sources, I find a huge difference.
Example:
This morning I had an overnight oat and chia pudding with passion fruit and greek yoghurt on top (delicious at this time of year I might add).
MFPs numbers are:
Total Protein: 13g
However, lookong at the product labels themselves, I find a total protein of 17.6g...
Does anyone know where MFP macros per foods can be found? I'd like to know what basis they work on.
Thanks!

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Did you eat the same amount as listed on the product label for a serving?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    Options
    MFP's food database is crowdsourced, it's users like us who input data.
    Entries can be downright wrong or incomplete. Or they could be correct, but for a different brand or an older version/recipe.

So when you're choosing a food database entry, check against the label if there is one, or against the USDA database for whole foods. It's a bit of work at the start, but once you've found correct entries you can find them easily in your Recent foods or copy meals from one day to another.
  • SherWoods1
    SherWoods1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe try scanning the bar code on the product you are eating? That may be the best way to enter your brand of yogurt.