What do you think about test tube meat?

Edintokyo
Edintokyo Posts: 38 Member
That is, meat cloned in a laboratory.
Tagged:
«1345

Replies

  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,869 Member
    edited June 2023
    Interesting for sure and remember having similar thoughts when they said flying cars will solve traffic problem. Cheers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Haven't eaten meat since 1974, and part of the reason is that I never was a big fan of most of it.

    Since the rest of the reason is more about things like resource consumption (more protein input than output for live meat), I'm waiting to see what the production methods' impact may be.

    Looked at purely from the consumption side, meat is a calorie efficient way to consume EAA complete and reasonably bioavailable protein. If lab meat turns out to be whole-systems resource efficient, Is consider eating it, even though it's not my favorite gustatory delight ever.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,577 Member
    No desire to try it when the original is so damn good.

    Fair. You couldn't afford it anyway🤣
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    I would treat it much like any meat replacement- if it tastes good and the nutrient profile is decent, I’ll incorporate it into my diet. I already enjoy MorningStar burgers and Impossible/Beyond meats.

    I don’t think it’s much different than eating any type of cultured food. Meat is such a great source of protein- I would love to consume it in a way that is better for the environment and the animals.

    To clarify, I am not vegetarian. I do currently eat meat.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    No desire to try it when the original is so damn good.

    Fair. You couldn't afford it anyway🤣

    I probably should just bite my tongue, however . . . it's only my personal opinion, but I feel that that second sentence was completely unnecessary and flirts with not following the community guidelines. Please play nice.

  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,577 Member
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    No desire to try it when the original is so damn good.

    Fair. You couldn't afford it anyway🤣
    Lol I could buy a whole cattle ranch if I wanted to so what is your point.

    It's a joke. Obviously I don't know you in any way, so couldn't seriously comment on how much money you may or may not have. The lab meat is currently still super expensive, in more boring terms.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,590 Member
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    No desire to try it when the original is so damn good.

    Fair. You couldn't afford it anyway🤣
    Lol I could buy a whole cattle ranch if I wanted to so what is your point.

    It's a joke. Obviously I don't know you in any way, so couldn't seriously comment on how much money you may or may not have. The lab meat is currently still super expensive, in more boring terms.
    ha! No,worries however yes I could buy a whole cattle ranch but would rather just buy a good steak at the grocery store.

  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    No desire to try it when the original is so damn good.

    Fair. You couldn't afford it anyway🤣
    Lol I could buy a whole cattle ranch if I wanted to so what is your point.

    ... said the dog in the NewYorker cartoon.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    I'm willing to try it when it becomes commercially available, but meat is not generally my first choice of protein. Yes, sometimes meat is what I want, but more often I'd rather have dairy, eggs, or plants that resemble plants (e.g., beans or lentils), not plants that have been separated into components and combined with parts of other plants and shaped, dyed, and otherwise manipulated to remble meat in appearance and texture.

    So I'll have to see if this satisfies my rare meat cravings. If it does, I don't have any qualms based on the mere concept of its being grown in the laboratory, unless turns out, as someone mentioned above to be Soylent Green.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Horrible, seriously reflective of our world. Bizarre. I am vegan but even if I did eat meat no way
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited June 2023
    I don't eat meat so it's not even a possibility of me trying such a product. It doesn't sound too appealing, but it does appeal to me in the fact that it offers a plus to our environment.
    Meat production: Major contributor to global environmental degradation, deforestation. With global warming, there is the reality that fresh water will be a scarcity soon enough. Meat production uses a lot of land and contributes to greenhouse emissions. Also, conventional farming practices are horrible for our animals.
    Perhaps people will find it appealing - 'designer' meat - they could manipulate it enough to have the healthiest fats/macros, etc.,
    🤷🏼‍♀️
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    I think it's disgusting. I'm not eating the bugs, and I'm not eating lab-grown cell matter. They ain't going to Soylent Green me.

    So no yogurt, sauerkraut, Gouda cheese, etc? Avoiding all red beverages, candies out of caution? Omitting candy corn, milk duds and similar candies? Oh wait, that last is bug excretion, not actual bugs: Whew.

    Interesting.

    P.S. This is not an orthorexic propaganda post. I eat a bunch of those things, think they're all fine, within reason. I just think food/culture intersections are fun.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,590 Member
    edited June 2023
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think it's disgusting. I'm not eating the bugs, and I'm not eating lab-grown cell matter. They ain't going to Soylent Green me.

    So no yogurt, sauerkraut, Gouda cheese, etc? Avoiding all red beverages, candies out of caution? Omitting candy corn, milk duds and similar candies? Oh wait, that last is bug excretion, not actual bugs: Whew.

    Interesting.

    P.S. This is not an orthorexic propaganda post. I eat a bunch of those things, think they're all fine, within reason. I just think food/culture intersections are fun.
    all those things you mentioned are only available through processing, meat is not.

    If meat wasn’t meant to be eaten it wouldn’t have been made to taste so damn good.

  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,577 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think it's disgusting. I'm not eating the bugs, and I'm not eating lab-grown cell matter. They ain't going to Soylent Green me.

    So no yogurt, sauerkraut, Gouda cheese, etc? Avoiding all red beverages, candies out of caution? Omitting candy corn, milk duds and similar candies? Oh wait, that last is bug excretion, not actual bugs: Whew.

    Interesting.

    P.S. This is not an orthorexic propaganda post. I eat a bunch of those things, think they're all fine, within reason. I just think food/culture intersections are fun.
    all those things you mentioned are only available through processing, meat is not.

    If meat wasn’t meant to be eaten it wouldn’t have been made to taste so damn good.

    Interestingly, apparently antifreeze tastes so good if you leave it out, animals will drink it. So will people if they don't realize it's antifreeze (there have been a number of cases of antifreeze poisoning). That being said, yah, I eat meat too, and I'm unlikely to eat the lab grown meat.