What do you think about test tube meat?

135

Replies

  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,877 Member
    Brigit02 wrote: »
    Leanmode55 wrote: »
    I personally think it's very interesting. I'll hold my judgement until i try it.

    Looking forward to the quirky commercial with complementary jingle.

    6vvqvc0ob995.png

    that seems extremely misleading to me.

    Of course there are more ingredients in fake meat type things ( like any made up product) but to suggest the beef patty pictured has no ingredients other than beef - I think that is highly unlikely
    I bet it also has water, preservatives, flavourings etc.

    In Canada it's just beef with no additives when purchasing ground beef for example, not sure about other Countries.
  • mareeya88
    mareeya88 Posts: 31 Member
    Beyond food is delicious... so are Impossible Whoppers. Meat is everywhere and it's hard to avoid it, but if meat replacement is offered it seems like a shame to choose meat.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    mareeya88 wrote: »
    Beyond food is delicious... so are Impossible Whoppers. Meat is everywhere and it's hard to avoid it, but if meat replacement is offered it seems like a shame to choose meat.

    I’m just quoting this because it expresses an opinion that is pretty much the antithesis of how I feel about the wider issue of ‘meat replication’ in all its forms.

    I don’t like meat, never have, so I don’t eat it. It’s mainly a texture but also, especially in beef, a taste thing. I’m annoyed these days when I want to eat out (only a couple of times a year, so not a big deal!) because in the place of a an interesting Beetroot & Black Bean Burger or a well spiced veggie and lentil patty all that is on offer is the vile Beyond Burger.

    I do not eat meat because I do not like the taste or texture! Why on earth would I want to eat a Beyond Burger. Why is that so hard to fathom? But it’s an ‘easy fix’ for a lazy chef I guess when he needs to offer a vegetarian or vegan option.

    Also - meat is not ‘everywhere’ and it’s ridiculously easy to avoid it! I even have meat in my house, which I cook for my husband, but I still manage to avoid it! It’s not hiding around the corner or behind the doors leaping out at me, after all! 😂

    So yea, I won’t be in the queue to try cloned meat. I’ll be the one way over there enjoying the beans, lentils and all the vegetables!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,980 Member
    Brigit02 wrote: »
    Leanmode55 wrote: »
    I personally think it's very interesting. I'll hold my judgement until i try it.

    Looking forward to the quirky commercial with complementary jingle.

    6vvqvc0ob995.png

    that seems extremely misleading to me.

    Of course there are more ingredients in fake meat type things ( like any made up product) but to suggest the beef patty pictured has no ingredients other than beef - I think that is highly unlikely
    I bet it also has water, preservatives, flavourings etc.

    In Canada it's just beef with no additives when purchasing ground beef for example, not sure about other Countries.


    what you call ground beef (mince to us) - sure - but what was pictured was a beef patty
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,877 Member
    edited June 2023
    Brigit02 wrote: »
    Leanmode55 wrote: »
    I personally think it's very interesting. I'll hold my judgement until i try it.

    Looking forward to the quirky commercial with complementary jingle.

    6vvqvc0ob995.png

    that seems extremely misleading to me.

    Of course there are more ingredients in fake meat type things ( like any made up product) but to suggest the beef patty pictured has no ingredients other than beef - I think that is highly unlikely
    I bet it also has water, preservatives, flavourings etc.

    In Canada it's just beef with no additives when purchasing ground beef for example, not sure about other Countries.


    what you call ground beef (mince to us) - sure - but what was pictured was a beef patty
    Brigit02 wrote: »
    Leanmode55 wrote: »
    I personally think it's very interesting. I'll hold my judgement until i try it.

    Looking forward to the quirky commercial with complementary jingle.

    6vvqvc0ob995.png

    that seems extremely misleading to me.

    Of course there are more ingredients in fake meat type things ( like any made up product) but to suggest the beef patty pictured has no ingredients other than beef - I think that is highly unlikely
    I bet it also has water, preservatives, flavourings etc.

    In Canada it's just beef with no additives when purchasing ground beef for example, not sure about other Countries.


    what you call ground beef (mince to us) - sure - but what was pictured was a beef patty

    That's what a burger patty is made of, ground or mince beef. Have you never made a burger?

  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,980 Member


    No, I havent, I dont like burgers much

    I doubt most bought patties are made of just mince and nothing else though

    Home made ones might be (although I think most people would add some seasonings, at least)

    so again misleading - home made veggie burgers wouldnt have all the ingredients listed in meme - if we are comparing apples to apples or burgers to burgers, it shouldn't be a commercial veggie one to a home made meat one, it should be like for like.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,877 Member
    edited June 2023
    mareeya88 wrote: »
    Beyond food is delicious... so are Impossible Whoppers. Meat is everywhere and it's hard to avoid it, but if meat replacement is offered it seems like a shame to choose meat.

    I’m just quoting this because it expresses an opinion that is pretty much the antithesis of how I feel about the wider issue of ‘meat replication’ in all its forms.

    I don’t like meat, never have, so I don’t eat it. It’s mainly a texture but also, especially in beef, a taste thing. I’m annoyed these days when I want to eat out (only a couple of times a year, so not a big deal!) because in the place of a an interesting Beetroot & Black Bean Burger or a well spiced veggie and lentil patty all that is on offer is the vile Beyond Burger.

    I do not eat meat because I do not like the taste or texture! Why on earth would I want to eat a Beyond Burger. Why is that so hard to fathom? But it’s an ‘easy fix’ for a lazy chef I guess when he needs to offer a vegetarian or vegan option.

    Also - meat is not ‘everywhere’ and it’s ridiculously easy to avoid it! I even have meat in my house, which I cook for my husband, but I still manage to avoid it! It’s not hiding around the corner or behind the doors leaping out at me, after all! 😂

    So yea, I won’t be in the queue to try cloned meat. I’ll be the one way over there enjoying the beans, lentils and all the vegetables!

    I agree with you that a decent black bean, lentil, mushroom, beetroot burger is better than a beyond or impossible offering and the market has spoken, and is reflected in their market share and stock prices which are currently in the toilet.

    The difference is in their intended market. Impossible and Beyond were never marketed for the vegan or vegetarian crowd simply because that market is tiny and volatile. For these Companies to succeed these were intended to be rolled out to convince the masses (omnivores) that these could be an alternative to meat.

    With the billions of dollars invested and the full scale rollout to most global markets and advertising and with the support of the fast food industry and grocery giants all expecting to make a lot of money and it started out gangbusters and now of course most investors have lost most of their money.

    With every agency around the world telling people that cows are killing the planet and if we eat cows we'll get cancer and heart disease how could it all go wrong, well because when your talking to the choir and live in an echo chamber and your feedback is coming from that echo chamber, everyone is drinking the cool aid and it's a foregone conclusion that your right, how could it not be, and the failure of these products to deliver the goods is proof the pudding wasn't quite up to scratch.

    I suspect when ever these culture grown meats eventually get up to global scale that we see them in similar ultra processed products and will never compete with a steak in the same way beyond and impossible could never compete with ground beef. imo


  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,877 Member

    No, I havent, I dont like burgers much

    I doubt most bought patties are made of just mince and nothing else though

    Home made ones might be (although I think most people would add some seasonings, at least)

    so again misleading - home made veggie burgers wouldnt have all the ingredients listed in meme - if we are comparing apples to apples or burgers to burgers, it shouldn't be a commercial veggie one to a home made meat one, it should be like for like.

    That was the point when showing the impossible and beyond burger compared to one made with just ground beef, Obviously that logic doesn't make much sense to you, which is fine, believe what you want, I was only trying to point out the obvious difference.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,106 Member
    I don't mind 'veggie burgers' and the like, and I occasionally choose them for environmental reasons and for variation. However, the calorie count is often higher than (lean cuts of) pork, beef and chicken, and less protein too, as well as more additives, so I'm not very motivated to increase my intake of fake meat products.
    Cloned meat wouldn't have that downside so theoretically I'm favorable, if the environmental impact is indeed less than regular meat.

    I'm not sure how 'test tube meat' would be texture and taste wise. I've already given up on supermarket steaks and stick to eating steak in proper restaurants and from the butcher (better quality) so it would depend on the quality and taste of the cloned meat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,877 Member
    edited June 2023
    There is no connective tissue or fat in these meats and resemble a flat piece of thickish ribbon and suspect they'll never be rolled out to be consumed on a plate, tough would be an understatement, and will probably be processed into various products for their amino acid content, maybe, who knows. The environmental impact looks large and possibly worse if they were ever to roll this process out globally from the research I've done. Personally I'd rather eat bugs, which I have done in the past and probably a lot more environmentally friendly as well.
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Brigit02 wrote: »
    Leanmode55 wrote: »
    I personally think it's very interesting. I'll hold my judgement until i try it.

    Looking forward to the quirky commercial with complementary jingle.

    6vvqvc0ob995.png

    that seems extremely misleading to me.

    Of course there are more ingredients in fake meat type things ( like any made up product) but to suggest the beef patty pictured has no ingredients other than beef - I think that is highly unlikely
    I bet it also has water, preservatives, flavourings etc.

    Some products may have additional flavorings, spices or salt added but products labeled as "ground beef" cannot have any water, extenders, phosphates, preservatives, colors, etc added by law. So that package of plain/unseasoned bulk ground beef is just beef.

  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,494 Member
    Brigit02 wrote: »
    Leanmode55 wrote: »
    I personally think it's very interesting. I'll hold my judgement until i try it.

    Looking forward to the quirky commercial with complementary jingle.

    6vvqvc0ob995.png
    Not lab meat. Lab meat is actually GROWN in a laboratory setting. It is actually muscle tissue.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png
  • Brigit02
    Brigit02 Posts: 130 Member
    edited June 2023
    There is no connective tissue or fat in these meats and resemble a flat piece of thickish ribbon and suspect they'll never be rolled out to be consumed on a plate, tough would be an understatement, and will probably be processed into various products for their amino acid content, maybe, who knows. The environmental impact looks large and possibly worse if they were ever to roll this process out globally from the research I've done. Personally I'd rather eat bugs, which I have done in the past and probably a lot more environmentally friendly as well.

    The Bed Bath & Beyond Burger is sounding more and more sinister.

    Also, I'm not going to eat bugs. Not yet ready to throw in the towel and live in dystopia.

    If anyone is interested:

    Lab Meat. The $1 Trillion Ugly Truth
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=V0zCf4Yup34

  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,877 Member
    edited June 2023
    Brigit02 wrote: »
    There is no connective tissue or fat in these meats and resemble a flat piece of thickish ribbon and suspect they'll never be rolled out to be consumed on a plate, tough would be an understatement, and will probably be processed into various products for their amino acid content, maybe, who knows. The environmental impact looks large and possibly worse if they were ever to roll this process out globally from the research I've done. Personally I'd rather eat bugs, which I have done in the past and probably a lot more environmentally friendly as well.

    The Bed Bath & Beyond Burger is sounding more and more sinister.

    Also, I'm not going to eat bugs. Not yet ready to throw in the towel and live in dystopia.

    Hahaha, yeah I agree. I've been getting my beef from a local milk producer and farmer since 2010 who also practices organic. It appears from this practice that the surrounding fields where he rotates his cattle is very fertile, covered in various flora and wildlife and choc a bloc full of nutrients, but it's apparently going to kill all of human kind and only in the last half of the last century as opposed to the previous centuries, it's a good thing we have smart people in smart places to tell us how to think, otherwise we could all die from eating meat. I won't be saved, but I'm good with that, lol. Cheers
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,600 Member
    It’s all about money and who gets it. Cattle industry loses Gates, etc win.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,877 Member
    edited June 2023
    .
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,980 Member
    paints5555 wrote: »
    Brigit02 wrote: »
    Leanmode55 wrote: »
    I personally think it's very interesting. I'll hold my judgement until i try it.

    Looking forward to the quirky commercial with complementary jingle.

    6vvqvc0ob995.png

    that seems extremely misleading to me.

    Of course there are more ingredients in fake meat type things ( like any made up product) but to suggest the beef patty pictured has no ingredients other than beef - I think that is highly unlikely
    I bet it also has water, preservatives, flavourings etc.

    Some products may have additional flavorings, spices or salt added but products labeled as "ground beef" cannot have any water, extenders, phosphates, preservatives, colors, etc added by law. So that package of plain/unseasoned bulk ground beef is just beef.

    yes I get that packages of ground beef are just ground beef - but the picture was of a patty - I doubt most commercial or even home made patties are solely beef and nothing else.

    so the logic of comparing a commercial veggie burger vs just ground beef doesnt make sense to me.

    It a nice meme - but misleading comparison.

  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    paints5555 wrote: »
    Brigit02 wrote: »
    Leanmode55 wrote: »
    I personally think it's very interesting. I'll hold my judgement until i try it.

    6vvqvc0ob995.png

    that seems extremely misleading to me.

    Of course there are more ingredients in fake meat type things ( like any made up product) but to suggest the beef patty pictured has no ingredients other than beef - I think that is highly unlikely
    I bet it also has water, preservatives, flavourings etc.

    Some products may have additional flavorings, spices or salt added but products labeled as "ground beef" cannot have any water, extenders, phosphates, preservatives, colors, etc added by law. So that package of plain/unseasoned bulk ground beef is just beef.

    yes I get that packages of ground beef are just ground beef - but the picture was of a patty - I doubt most commercial or even home made patties are solely beef and nothing else.

    so the logic of comparing a commercial veggie burger vs just ground beef doesnt make sense to me.

    It a nice meme - but misleading comparison.

    You are correct in what was pictured was a patty and not necessarily ground beef. But since 75%+ of ground beef in the US is sold in bulk forms, not patties, I would assume a lot of that is being made into patties in people's homes and those people can relate to this comparison. Those homemade ones sure don't have 20+ ingredients in them. I personally never buy premade patties and the only thing I add to my burgers is a small amount of salt (to solubilize the sticky proteins that help it hold together while cooking).

    As for the lab meat, it's going to be a long time before it is an affordable option for the average person. I'll withhold my opinion until I have the opportunity to try it and I have very low expectations of what it will taste like. The Beyond Burger is awful and for the 1x/month I actually eat a burger, I'll just stick with the real thing.

  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,980 Member
    Sure, home made beef patties probably don't have 20 ingredients , neither would home made Veggie ones.

    If we are comparing like for like then compare bought one of each or home made one of each.

    But meme compared bought Veggie one to ground beef alone , not a bought patty or even a homemade patty.

    Hence misleading.

    I think I've made that point quite clearly now so leaving this here unless anyone has anything new to say.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,877 Member
    edited June 2023
    If the comparison showed the difference between the impossible burger with all the additional ingredients and another vegetarian burger that said "just black beans", then your argument should still be valid. Instead we have a conclusion that you state is "not a bought patty or even a homemade patty, hence misleading" That probably doesn't make any sense to you. What you did was create a logical fallacy. It was a simple comparison of something highly processed vs something that wasn't, nothing more.