What do you think about test tube meat?

Options

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    The hesitance here reminds me of my father in law. When we were making breakfast at our house he was dead against the idea of having turkey sausage, wouldn't hear of it. Only "real" sausage for him. Months later while making a breakfast we included it, he cleared the plate, said he really enjoyed it when asked, at which point we said that was turkey sausage.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    It sounds interesting to me.

I may have to get past a general feeling of, "Look at this nutritious food we just found, and there's a massive supply of it.", sounding like the plot of Soylent Green.

The factory farming is horrific for animals. I'm not a vegetarian, but I can also see that it's an awful practice. And there was that recent story from Texas of 18,000 cows dead in a single fire. If manufactured meat replaced factory farming for the cheap meats I'd be all in favor.

Another omnivore here bothered by factory farming. I buy meat more humanely raised, and am still troubled by that. The news story I heard framed "test tube meat" as "no kill meat" - love the idea of that.

Any other Lois Bujold fans thinking of Cordelia and her preference for "vat grown meat?"

I'm curious to try it, but wouldn't make it a staple until the price point is reasonable, which I'm guessing won't be any time soon.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think it's disgusting. I'm not eating the bugs, and I'm not eating lab-grown cell matter. They ain't going to Soylent Green me.

So no yogurt, sauerkraut, Gouda cheese, etc? Avoiding all red beverages, candies out of caution? Omitting candy corn, milk duds and similar candies? Oh wait, that last is bug excretion, not actual bugs: Whew.

Interesting.

P.S. This is not an orthorexic propaganda post. I eat a bunch of those things, think they're all fine, within reason. I just think food/culture intersections are fun.
    all those things you mentioned are only available through processing, meat is not.

If meat wasn’t meant to be eaten it wouldn’t have been made to taste so damn good.

Interestingly, apparently antifreeze tastes so good if you leave it out, animals will drink it. So will people if they don't realize it's antifreeze (there have been a number of cases of antifreeze poisoning). That being said, yah, I eat meat too, and I'm unlikely to eat the lab grown meat.
    this is the outcome of what is actually antifreezeni5uegva1uyc.jpeg

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I think it's disgusting. I'm not eating the bugs, and I'm not eating lab-grown cell matter. They ain't going to Soylent Green me.

So no yogurt, sauerkraut, Gouda cheese, etc? Avoiding all red beverages, candies out of caution? Omitting candy corn, milk duds and similar candies? Oh wait, that last is bug excretion, not actual bugs: Whew.

Interesting.

P.S. This is not an orthorexic propaganda post. I eat a bunch of those things, think they're all fine, within reason. I just think food/culture intersections are fun.
    all those things you mentioned are only available through processing, meat is not.

If meat wasn’t meant to be eaten it wouldn’t have been made to taste so damn good.

It's true that yogurt, sauerkraut, and cheese are processed foods, but they're also traditional foods humans have made and eaten for hundreds to thousands of years. Many people would consider them lightly processed, not highly processed. Sauerkraut and the like are pretty much just "slice, add salt and wait".

They're full of "bugs", though.

Meat, by the time we kill it, maybe age it, cut it up, package it, ship it, cook it . . . also lightly processed. I've eaten squirrels shot out on the back 40 by family. Processed them first, though, because who wants raw, fur and all?

:D

I don't much care for meat, don't eat it, but think it's fine to eat. Most is not truly "unprocessed", though.

ETA: This probably seems like a digression.

My main point, implicitly, is on point, though, I think: While it's good to have cautious standards about what's nutritious, wholesome and healthful to eat, the "ick factor" dimension is more about cultural norms than rational thinking, IMO.

Individuals choosing not to eat particular things because of ick is fine, of course. I avoid lima beans and seaweed salad because ick. 🤷‍♀️
  • Brigit02
    Brigit02 Posts: 130 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    There is something very repulsive about "test tube meat."

I don't like the idea of eating animals and knowing they have emotions makes it worse. My husband won't go meat free and if he's cooking a steak I'm going to eat it.

I could go without meat. But the fake meat is just too weird. I should work on being vegan.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    They are just trying to find a way for the Mars colony to have a nice steakhouse without having to bring cows up there.

Seriously, it's probably not something that's going to be mainstream any time soon, but if the planet keeps dying at the rate it is, we may need it in a few hundred years to sustain the population that's left.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

Interesting.

Interestingly, apparently antifreeze tastes so good if you leave it out, animals will drink it. So will people if they don't realize it's antifreeze (there have been a number of cases of antifreeze poisoning). That being said, yah, I eat meat too, and I'm unlikely to eat the lab grown meat.
    this is the outcome of what is actually antifreezeni5uegva1uyc.jpeg

🤣😂 so true
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Brigit02 wrote: »

I don't like the idea of eating animals and knowing they have emotions makes it worse. My husband won't go meat free and if he's cooking a steak I'm going to eat it.

I could go without meat. But the fake meat is just too weird. I should work on being vegan.

I'm surprised that you do eat meat when there are so many alternatives that would parallel your beliefs. Let your husband do his thing and you can do yours. Maybe your husband will gravitate to more of a plant-based diet when he sees all the yummy things a vegetarian/vegan diet could be.
  • Brigit02
    edited June 2023
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I'm surprised that you do eat meat when there are so many alternatives that would parallel your beliefs. Let your husband do his thing and you can do yours. Maybe your husband will gravitate to more of a plant-based diet when he sees all the yummy things a vegetarian/vegan diet could be.

Good suggestion. I don't think he'd ever give up meat for good but it's time I get more active with the food preparation.
  • Leanmode55
    Leanmode55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's very interesting. I'll hold my judgement until i try it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Some advantages would be that it's not inundated with antibiotics, fat is controlled and you at least know the make up is from meat cells. I'd do it if it became available and was affordable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Brigit02
    Options
    Leanmode55 wrote: »
    I personally think it's very interesting. I'll hold my judgement until i try it.

Looking forward to the quirky commercial with complementary jingle.

• tomcustombuilder
    Options

6vvqvc0ob995.png
  • Brigit02
    Options

6vvqvc0ob995.png

.......Dried yeast. Woohoo can't wait.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options

6vvqvc0ob995.png

• tomcustombuilder
    edited June 2023
    Options

6vvqvc0ob995.png

73llamm3r8uq.png

• Brigit02
    Options
    I think we're mixing two things here:

The semi-convincing faux meats like Beyond or Impossible

vs.

The not-yet-marketed products that would take meat cells, feed the cells under industrial conditions so that they multiply and create more meat cells (cloned cells, basically). Those would still be "meat" presumably.

I'm not passing judgement in this post, just suggesting the issues differ between those things . . . let alone either of those vs. a black bean burger or portabello burger or something like that (things that have a burger shape but don't pretend to taste like a meat burger or have the same nutrition).

################

6vvqvc0ob995.png

Hey, no need to wait: It's already in bread, vinegar, some over-ripe or dried fruits, cookies, pretzels, beer, wine, and a bunch of other common stuff.

Cloned meat cells sounds repulsive. I do love animals and feel eating meat is something I can phase out of my life.

( Dried yeast is just fine in bread.)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    It's an emerging market, no doubt about it. We're never going to see a steak on the menu but huge potential for the industrial food complex that grinds stuff up and calls it food. Probably nuggets and fillers that kind of thing. I suspect it'll be decades before this can be produced at scale and affordable.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options

6vvqvc0ob995.png

that seems extremely misleading to me.

Of course there are more ingredients in fake meat type things ( like any made up product) but to suggest the beef patty pictured has no ingredients other than beef - I think that is highly unlikely
    I bet it also has water, preservatives, flavourings etc.