We trashed the sodas, chips, cookies

Options

Replies

• YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting to the healthy life style!

It's hard to switch from all that processed food when it's so easily accessible. I don't do any processed, frozen and etc junk food either but I do have diet Pepsi sometimes. I eat mostly the food that I cook from the scratch or I dine out. Mostly it's chicken, seafood, meat and veggies. Also lots of yogurt, cheese, milk and etc. it's really easy, tasty and healthy. And really low on calories.

However I do agree that trusting the food is a bit harsh, there're people in needs out there. It's better to donate.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    As above: you would be an a******** to throw a drinker trying to quit into a bar, and ask him to 'take responsibility' based on some idiotic ideological commitment. This man needs to *not drink* & *not die of cirrhosis*.

This is a pretty valuable point (albeit phrased in a regrettably inflammatory manner). I don't believe it's uncommon to see people who treat food like alcoholics treat alcohol or drug addicts treat their drug of choice. For instance, very few alcoholics start out down and out. They start like anyone else -- few drinks here and there as a teenager, love how it makes them feel, then maybe party a bit harder in college, because it's a very social thing to do. Keep on doing that in your 20's, but now you can afford to go out because you have you first job, and you go out with coworkers, or because you can. You're in your 20s! Party up. Drinking is fun.

Then, in your thirties, you realize that it's not socially acceptable to be the guy who goes out every night anymore -- but you find you can't rein it in. So you try to quit -- and you realize that alcohol made you feel better for a very long time, and without it, you're being constantly assaulted by all these "feelings" that you'd previously just buried under alcohol. Luckily, you have a coping mechanism -- booze! Now you have a problem -- because the thing you'd constantly used to medicate your negative feelings is what is soon to be causing those negative feelings. That is a bad, bad spiral. You're trying to quit, you can't, you're frustrated and depressed. And every time you turn around, there's a person who has never had an alcohol problem telling you, "you don't need to quit -- you should just try drinking a little less."

I can see some parallels on that with food -- people get pleasure from food. You get attuned to getting pleasurable thoughts after you eat things that you like, and that food becomes an escape. Eventually, it becomes what you do to feel good. Fast forward 20 years, and you're 400 pounds, miserable because you're so obese, and your only coping mechanism is...more food. Then you get people who don't have the same problem saying, "hey, you don't need to stop eating twinkies...you should just try eating less of them."

There's an innate difference between those who are able to moderate drinking and those who cannot. If one could moderate their intake, they would likely have been able to do so. Ditto food -- if you are able to moderate your intake, and you've done so, congratulations. You might not be starting at the same place as the person who is trying to go cold turkey -- and if that's the case, telling them that they should moderate -- something they've not shown an ability to do -- is not very supportive of them making good decisions.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    Then you can resist it when you run into it at a party or in the supermarket, or choose to buy something to have it in moderation.

That's the exact opposite of how it works in real life.

When something becomes a "just this once, then not again" you don't have it in moderation. That's when binges occur. That's how binging works.
    Not 'just once then not again'. Just occasionally. Just not all the time. That is the DEFINITION of moderation!

I would add that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If the last time you bought a bag of chips you ate the whole bag, it's a lot easier just not to buy the bag.

I think it's more important/effective to build good habits than it is to rely on willpower alone.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Then you can resist it when you run into it at a party or in the supermarket, or choose to buy something to have it in moderation.

When something becomes a "just this once, then not again" you don't have it in moderation. That's when binges occur. That's how binging works.
    Not 'just once then not again'. Just occasionally. Just not all the time. That is the DEFINITION of moderation!

I would add that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If the last time you bought a bag of chips you ate the whole bag, it's a lot easier just not to buy the bag.

I think it's more important/effective to build good habits than it is to rely on willpower alone.

Might want to reread the thread. OP is very much not about moderation of those items. His nutritionist convinced him they're evil and bad and he won't have it at all.

That's tge problem.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options

Might want to reread the thread. OP is very much not about moderation of those items. His nutritionist convinced him they're evil and bad and he won't have it at all.

That's the problem.
    Then respond to the OP. You responded to my comment so I naturally thought you were taking issue with it. I see nothing wrong with tossing things you have around the house.

I also see nothing wrong with throwing out diet coke instead of sending it to the food bank because it has zero calories - ie zero nutrition! So. Carry on.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Where is it written that one is in deprivation mode or one is extremist for not choosing to moderate the chips, cookies and diet soda pops. The idea that one has to keep these in ones diet and moderate them is silly in my opinion.

It is easy to have a sugary drink: eg fresh fruit juice and carbonated water, A cookie, homemade with a bit of honey nuts and oatmeal.

My guess is they are being encouraged to change things up , taking out the old adding in the new.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

It's hard to switch from all that processed food when it's so easily accessible. I don't do any processed, frozen and etc junk food either but I do have diet Pepsi sometimes. I eat mostly the food that I cook from the scratch or I dine out. Mostly it's chicken, seafood, meat and veggies. Also lots of yogurt, cheese, milk and etc. it's really easy, tasty and healthy. And really low on calories.

However I do agree that trusting the food is a bit harsh, there're people in needs out there. It's better to donate.

Um, I eat processed food (like cheese) and am perfectly healthy. How does that work?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Um, I eat processed food (like cheese) and am perfectly healthy. How does that work?

You're a dude so a special snowflake and you were born ripped. It's magic.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I also see nothing wrong with throwing out diet coke instead of sending it to the food bank because it has zero calories - ie zero nutrition! So. Carry on.

That is a great point.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

***NEWSFLASH***

It's not all about you.
  • RGv2
    Options

***NEWSFLASH***

It's not all about you.

Nope, just those of us that know eating "processed" food in moderation doesn't make you un-healthy.

:drinker:
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

***NEWSFLASH***

It's not all about you.

Nope, just those of us that know eating "processed" food in moderation doesn't make you un-healthy.

I genuinely don't understand where you are coming from.

The guy was just congratulating the poster. And did you notice he ADVISED eating cheese? LOTS of cheese. I really don't see how you can make an argument from that point. And then you're all 'what's wrong with cheese'. Nothing he said reflects on you in any way at all. Nothing.

I'm having a row about cheese... I really need to get a grip. Over and out. Laters.
  • jonnythan
    Options

***NEWSFLASH***

It's not all about you.

The guy was just congratulating the poster. And did you notice he ADVISED eating cheese? I really don't see how you can make an argument from that point. Nothing he said reflects on you in any way at all. Nothing.

The point is that the entire post is nonsensical. Yogurt and cheese are processed, yet the poster said he eats them... while saying he doesn't eat processed foods:
    I don't do any processed,...
    I eat ... lots of yogurt, cheese
  • RGv2
    Options

***NEWSFLASH***

It's not all about you.

The guy was just congratulating the poster. And did you notice he ADVISED eating cheese? I really don't see how you can make an argument from that point. Nothing he said reflects on you in any way at all. Nothing.

The point is that the entire post is nonsensical. Yogurt and cheese are processed, yet the poster said he eats them... while saying he doesn't eat processed foods:
    I don't do any processed,...
    I eat ... lots of yogurt, cheese

And, somebody gets it.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    Do we really have to go to the 'honey is processed by bees' place again?

Ya'll know what they mean by processed.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Oh? Please define it for him.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Oh? Please define it for him.
    Ah, the sound of crickets.... I looked for a gif, but couldn't find one.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Are you always this sensitive? The original post you quoted never said it did:

If a person is eating a diet of high processed foods, and becomes unhealthy, obese, etc., and wants to become more healthy, less obese, etc., and switch to a more whole food, minimally processed diet, and in doing so, becomes more healthy and at a normal weight, that second diet is healthy. Which is what was written above.

Assuming that because they eat a healthy diet that doesn't include processed foods, it immediately means that they believe all processed foods are unhealthy per se...that's a pretty obvious fallacy.