Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

We trashed the sodas, chips, cookies

Replies

• NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    I see we've gone back to flouting basic pragmatics and semantics again. This thread has gone round and round and round again.

true dat :) and in the middle there was a fight about fresh peaches vs poptarts.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    I only read a couple of pages of this...

But this is ridiculous...I cannot understand why so many of the people on here are so rude...

There are nicer ways to say things to people if you don't agree. Just because you've lost a few pounds, you think you have the right to be a jerk to someone who is doing something differently than you?

This is supposed to be a place for SUPPORT AND EDUCATION.

Sure, I have carbs. I have pasta a couple of times a week. I have junk food sometimes. No, I don't think a completely restrictive diet is a good idea for long-term, sustainable weight loss. But geeeez. If that's their problem, then let them get rid of it.

The way, young padawans is moderation...let them get the idea of junk food as a staple, and then show them how to eat the good stuff in moderation.

People come here saying thank you, and they get attacked and belittled for the WAY they got healthy.

Things like this make me glad I never came when I was just starting out. If I'd gotten attacked like that, I'd have left this place and not lost a pound.

Yes. Moderation. Not "these are poison and I must throw them all out and perform a cleanse."

You entirely missed the point I was making.

I find it hard to deal with the fact that so many people here are so rude. If you don't agree with a person, either don't comment, or say it nicely.

We were all at "that point" once. Where we wanted a change, and didn't know how to get there.

How is it helpful to belittle people for their choices???
  • glowgirl14

true dat :) and in the middle there was a fight about fresh peaches vs poptarts.

Kinda glad I didn't read the whole thing....; )
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member

But this is ridiculous...I cannot understand why so many of the people on here are so rude...

There are nicer ways to say things to people if you don't agree. Just because you've lost a few pounds, you think you have the right to be a jerk to someone who is doing something differently than you?

Sure, I have carbs. I have pasta a couple of times a week. I have junk food sometimes. No, I don't think a completely restrictive diet is a good idea for long-term, sustainable weight loss. But geeeez. If that's their problem, then let them get rid of it.

The way, young padawans is moderation...let them get the idea of junk food as a staple, and then show them how to eat the good stuff in moderation.

People come here saying thank you, and they get attacked and belittled for the WAY they got healthy.

Things like this make me glad I never came when I was just starting out. If I'd gotten attacked like that, I'd have left this place and not lost a pound.

Yes. Moderation. Not "these are poison and I must throw them all out and perform a cleanse."

I find it hard to deal with the fact that so many people here are so rude. If you don't agree with a person, either don't comment, or say it nicely.

We were all at "that point" once. Where we wanted a change, and didn't know how to get there.

Dissenting opinions =/= belittling.

The "don't hurt my feelings" or "don't disagree with me or it's rude" attitude is really a good example of the over sensitivity of an entire generation. Would you like a participation trophy as well?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member

untitled_zpsee21182c.png

But... but... Jillian says to .... So it must not be wasteful or misleading. :laugh:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member

The "don't hurt my feelings" or "don't disagree with me or it's rude" attitude is really a good example of the over sensitivity of an entire generation. Would you like a participation trophy as well?
    41397-Picard-clapping-applause-gif-vX3R.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I see we've gone back to flouting basic pragmatics and semantics again. This thread has gone round and round and round again.

No, there wasn't. It was some guy rather adamently declaring I'm 'special' because I don't like the taste of peaches. Pop tarts were a non-issue (What with pop tarts being almost as gross as peaches.)

Sometimes I swear people just make up events in their heads.

And by sometimes I mean that's what all available evidence leads me to believe.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member

Do you honestly not recognize how much of a jerk people have been to the OP in this thread? Really? I find that hard to believe. Of course, given that you immediately turned around and criticized their attitude as what is wrong with an entire generation, maybe I do believe it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

Do you honestly not recognize how much of a jerk people have been to the OP in this thread? Really? I find that hard to believe. Of course, given that you immediately turned around and criticized their attitude as what is wrong with an entire generation, maybe I do believe it.

People were jerks to the OP because he came in here telling everyone that unclean foods are poison and a bunch of other stupid BS.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    OP said that under the supervision of his/her doctor, nutritionist, and personal trainer, s/he and a buddy made some changes that led to losses of 12 and 14 pounds in two months, and that he/she is pleased about this progress and highly motivated to continue.

many caps edited
  • wild_wild_life

People were jerks to the OP because he came in here telling everyone that unclean foods are poison and a bunch of other stupid BS.

Oh, I guess I never would have thought of that as reason for being a jerk. The OP wasn't being offensive, she was just misguided.

It's too easy to act like a jerk online. If this conversation were going on in real life I bet it would be much more civil. I very rarely see people jump all over each other IRL the way they do here. High school excepted.
  • wild_wild_life
    OP said that under the supervision of his/her doctor, nutritionist, and personal trainer, s/he and a buddy made some changes that led to losses of 12 and 14 pounds in two months, and that he/she is pleased about this progress and highly motivated to continue.

many caps edited

Aw, I liked the caps :smile:
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member

many caps edited

Lol! :) I liked making them, but you're right, I went a bit lunchtime-cafeteria, and was not proud.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    That is really awesome if you are able to go for it like that!
    I myself like to have my treats.
    But I have done that before and it is really a great thing to do!!
  • wild_wild_life

many caps edited

Lol! :) I liked making them, but you're right, I went a bit lunchtime-cafeteria, and was not proud.

LOL. I think we're all picking cheez its out of our hair on this one.
  • NonnyMary

No, there wasn't. It was some guy rather adamently declaring I'm 'special' because I don't like the taste of peaches. Pop tarts were a non-issue (What with pop tarts being almost as gross as peaches.)

Sometimes I swear people just make up events in their heads.

And by sometimes I mean that's what all available evidence leads me to believe.

my poor attempt at humour, sorry :(
  • glowgirl14

No......

People were jerks to the OP because people on MFP tend to be jerks.

The OP said those things LATER. The original post said that the OPs were happy because they made a lifestyle change, and thanking MFP for that.

They were then attacked because they weren't making the "right" lifestyle change.

I don't have a problem with people having differing opinions, just with people who have no manners.

You can challenge my views without being an @ss. It's entirely possible, really, really.

But me saying we should not ridicule people for not sharing our opinions is what is wrong with an entire generation.

Mmmmhmmm.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

Nope. The OP came in as enthusiastic and hopeful. Several folks here have come in telling everyone what to do.
  • NonnyMary

• NonnyMary

And the ironic part is after that fervent discussion, with each side laying out their points, some peeps came in here and totally made negative comments about one side vs the other. (IIFM vs non-IIFYMers) which were already discussed in the very beginnings of his thread.

its like this can go round and round in circles,, with no ending.. surely no 100% agreement. Looks like each side is going to continue to do as they see fit, and continue to not being able to understand the other side, and diss the other side, and no one is going to change another's mind because people are dead set on their way is the best -- including me in a way -

But maybe the lesson is - find what works for you and dont let another person tell you your wrong, unless of course someone is eating anorexicly or some kind of behavior that does not go with the general purposes of MFP. ok i suspect someone is going to call me a bad name for saying what i just said.