Counting calories with moderate exercise

Options
Hi I’m new here, been calorie counting for 2 weeks, casual bike riding and walking, lost 10lb so far which I’m so pleased with but starting to loose my motivation and missing junk food, need so motivation and encouragement.

I lost a lot of weight a few years ago but gradually gained over the past 4 years (Covid and husband being very ill)

I have 4 stone to lose by next august 🤞

Replies

• Marcy2890
    Marcy2890 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey also looking for some motivation! I sent a friend request 🙂
  • bussyfeso
    bussyfeso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi hi! Try different weekly Weightloss challenges to keep your journey fresh and exciting.

You’re doing great.

Hang in there!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    So, how fast are you trying to lose weight? Losing as much as 4 stone (56 pounds, translated for other USA-ians like me) is going to be a long-term change in habits, taking many weeks to many months. That puts a priority on sustainability.

What I'd suggest is not trying to lose weight super fast, but rather trying to find relatively easy and tolerable ways to lose gradually. It's not necessary to give up all treats (though it can be helpful to eliminate ones you can't personally eat in moderation instead). Enjoyable exercise is a useful part of the process, so kudos on getting that going.

I won't speak for you, but motivation isn't my strongest skill, and it's hard to stay motivated for months at a time. Thinking in terms of changing routine habits - eating and activity patterns - in manageable ways, a bit a time, can minimize the amount of motivation (will power, discipline, etc.) needed. Experiment to find some changes that are reasonably manageable to make, use that limited motivation budget to practice them until they become routine, then next time there's a burst of motivation make some more changes.

Many people find that staying at a healthy weight long-term is the more difficult practice, not least because it's ideally a "forever" thing. In my experience, it helps to create new habits during loss that are easy/tolerable enough to continue long term almost on autopilot when other parts of life get complicated, because they eventually will.

I'm cheering for you to succeed: I was overweight to obese for around 30 years, and have been at a healthy weight for 7+ years now, after losing pretty close to the amount you're shooting to lose. It can work, and it's a major quality of life improvement!
  • EmmaP1989_
    EmmaP1989_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Thank you, I’m hoping to loose it by august next year Iv been asked to be a bridesmaid at my cousins wedding in august next year Iv worked out I need to loose 1lb a week to loose just over 4 stone, I get very silly with weight loss, I’m all or nothing. Iv tried the slimming world, weight watchers approach but find I’m too competitive for it, Iv found myself making myself sick and taking laxatives, not eating the day before weighing on the scales because I’m so desperate to have that win.

I’m taking a different approach this time and as you said I’m still having treats just in small
    amounts and trying not to give myself such a big goal 🤞 slow and steady wins the race as they say