What's the Best Lifting Program for Woman

Options
Hello,

I am wanting to start a lifting program right away. Something other than StrongLifts. I am 150lbs approx and 5'9" 31-year-old mom of one. I want to sexify my bod into smooth curves and minimal fat! What's the best program out there??? I plan to do 1800cals a day with 130grams of PROTEIN, 60grams fat and the rest carbies from fruits, veg and some bread, pasta wholegrains. Also wondering if much cardio is necessary with the lifting program you are suggesting. Thanks.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Before we answer, why not strong lifts?
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Yes, why not strong lifts?
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I was doing strong lifts and didn't see any results after 2 months of straight lifting. SO I got bored with it and stopped.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    But, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Nia Shanks, Starting Strength all are great as is 5/3/1.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    That's funny I do strong lifts have been for a year. I have seen some results
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    You might as well add Strong Curves to your list as well. But I am surprised you haven't progressed.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    no results in 2 month? so you strength was stagnant? were you following the program? did you increase the weight ever?
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    no results in 2 month? so you strength was stagnant? were you following the program? did you increase the weight ever?

Yes, I did increase the weight every 2-3 weeks it was increased by 10lbs. 5lbers are the lowest weight plates i have so i had to increase by 10lb increments.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Bored? So soon? Hmmmm. Must not have been cranking that intensity knob.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

Beautiful results right here ^^

There are no instant results.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Bored? So soon? Hmmmm. Must not have been cranking that intensity knob.
    Maybe not but hey im ready now!!!! Just want some good advice on what program to start! Fall is here and the weather is awesome in the fall..........energy is coming to me with the beautiful fall weather!!!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options

Beautiful results right here ^^

There are no instant results.

:heart:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Whatever program you are willing to stick to long enough to see results. There's no reason to pick a "women's" lifting program.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    didn't see any results after 2 months of straight lifting.

You probably weren't doing it right.
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like New Rules of Lifting for Women. I just recently started it. I have been working out for years, but never did things like bar squats.... I stuck mostly to machines or dumbbells. So I'm liking the change. However, the first 16 workouts are pretty much the same so if you were bored with your previous program this may not be the one for you.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Maybe lifting just isn't your thing, kinda like running doesn't suit everybody. I love lifting and I just can't imagine getting bored. It feels awesome to work my muscles! The best program (for any exercise) is the one you're willing to stick with. :flowerforyou:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    doesnt matter, just DO.
  • troselj
    Options
    Best program for women is Jamie Easons 12 week program. Get the program on Body Building.com
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Yes, I did increase the weight every 2-3 weeks it was increased by 10lbs. 5lbers are the lowest weight plates i have so i had to increase by 10lb increments.

I started heavy lifting with "new rules of lifting for women" - it's not specifically for women, any lifting program is great for women, but it's a great easy for beginners and lots of information about why and how to do the program. it's also a bit dated, so there's some exercises that the author now recommends to sub out - like doing planks instead of crunches.

But whatever weight program you do, it should be heavy. So increasing weights every workout so that by the last rep, you're almost at failure. There's a really great active facebook community of women who use the book, and post questions/advice/motivation/videos on the exercises, lemme know if you can't find it! Or lemme know if you have any specific questions about NROLFW - i love it and really recommend it to all my friends who are interested in lifting, it's a great way to start!
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I am naturally strong, so the first couple of months of strong lifts was somewhat "easy" for me, and I had to bump up the weights by 10 every other day as well. Personally, I like the simplicity of being able to knock out a major workout with just a few lifts. For the past month (I've been doing SL for about 4 now) I've actually had to de-load on everything (I'm maxing out my current strength). Because of this, I'm starting to work more solidly on my form....which is just as hard as lifting the weight itself.

You've received several good suggestions (I have the New Rules of Lifting Book too) so you can pick and choose as you like, but honestly, I have a feeling you didn't actually complete SL the way it was intended. You might want to give it another try and then concentrate on form until you can progress on the weight again. If it is truly too boring for you (again, the BEAUTY of the program) then just pick one of the others....but you have to keep it up more than 2 months to truly start seeing results.

:drinker: