What's the Best Lifting Program for Woman

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    As for logging food, I gave that up in July. Was too busy with work. Will prob start up again here soon as work is settling down now.

Well that's why you haven't made the progress you want. You want to lose body fat, but that requires a consistent moderate calorie deficit. You've proven to yourself repeatedly that you can't run a consistent moderate calorie deficit without logging your food.

Lifting is great. I encourage you to lift. Follow Stronglifts. But you won't get rid of that leg, belly, and arm fat without getting your food intake under control.

Fat loss is 90% calorie control. The other 10% is lifting heavy and consistently enough to maintain your muscle mass.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Better get in control with the food then eh?

Yes, this is what we've all been telling you for months now.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    2) I found it extremely difficult to add 10lbs to the weights each work out. Especially OHP! OMG. I can do 50lbs no prob but 60lb NO WAY. It ends up being a push press. I have no more weights to add than 110lbs for deadlifts. And my squats went from 50 to 60 to 70lbs. I was also doing floor crunches and twists and leg rises, push ups on knees. BackROws went from 50 to 60lbs. This is what I have for plates: 2*25lbs, 4*10lbs, 4*5lbs. 110lbs total. Can I suceed at STrong LIfts with these plates? IF so, how?

You have to buy more weights....period. No, you're not going to progress if all you have is 110 lbs.

You need to:

1) decide that you really are dedicated to changing your body FOREVER with lifting (which means you have to CONTINUE to lift, after you reach your goal)
    2) invest in YOURSELF by buying progressively more weights (I got mine at Play It Again sports for pennies on the dollar compared to new, perfectly shiny plates...you can always repaint them black if rust / scratches really bother you).
    3) Buy some tiny little 2.5 lb weights to go up on your arm exercises...you can even find heavy industrial washers / rings at Lowe's / Home Depot that weigh about 1 - 1.5 lbs if you want to go up by even smaller amounts. The point of Strong Lifts is progressively increasing weight NOT how much weight you can lift. What is super heavy to me, is chump change for some of the women on this board....and what I can lift is probably super heavy to others. It's all about adding a little more each time...not necessarily 10 lbs at a time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    As for logging food, I gave that up in July. Was too busy with work. Will prob start up again here soon as work is settling down now.

Well that's why you haven't made the progress you want. You want to lose body fat, but that requires a consistent moderate calorie deficit. You've proven to yourself repeatedly that you can't run a consistent moderate calorie deficit without logging your food.

Lifting is great. I encourage you to lift. Follow Stronglifts. But you won't get rid of that leg, belly, and arm fat without getting your food intake under control.

Fat loss is 90% calorie control. The other 10% is lifting heavy and consistently enough to maintain your muscle mass.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Better get in control with the food then eh?

Yes, this is what we've all been telling you for months now.

PGh6KCU.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I was doing strong lifts and didn't see any results after 2 months of straight lifting. SO I got bored with it and stopped.

two months is jack ****...really...you expect to see some kind of awesome results in two months? what are you smoking? lifting is a long term investment in your overall body composition, not some 90 day miracle DVD. lifting is about months and years, not days and weeks. How about reach up and grab a hold and go get some...otherwise....well, you know what to do.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might desire something more bodybuilder orientated than strength. Brink's Bodybuilding Revealed is a good book, it lists tons of different workouts and exercises.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in the Twilight Zone.

I like to lift like the boys because I wanna become masculine and bulky so I do 5/31 but started out with Starting Strength. Gender really doesn't matter btw.

How have you not gotten your answer to ALLLLLL of these questions yet?!?!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1050865-okay-this-is-it-how-can-i-drop-last-10lbs-in-august
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1025775-feeling-like-a-piece-of-loser
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1037543-are-you-maintenance-if-u-go-over-cals-once-a-week
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have to remind myself of this too:

skMWCmK.jpg
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    A bunch of misconceptions here. But that's ok, getting the right information and doing this well and consistently is hard work.

✦ There is no women's lifting program. There is just lifting for humans. Any women tailored programs or books are just there to ease you into what you should be doing anyway- which is lifting.

✦ It's been said many times on this site and its true: you can't out train a bad diet. You need to at least moderately control your diet. If you're bad at it now it will probably take time to adjust, correct and fix. You will have setbacks and it will be hard.

✦ And that leads to a very important point. Everything takes time, much longer than I think you've been lead to believe. You've been lied to if you thought 2 months should show results that matter. People with that great figure spend years doing it and have many setbacks along the way. So whatever you're thinking about timeframes, you need to ditch that and recalibrate. Start thinking of this in years or lifestyle changes.

I've been lifting for about 10 months, working on improving/fixing my diet for 11 months. I've made progress, and I keep making progress, and I've almost hit my 1 year goals. I made them realistic for me. But I have 2 and 3 year goals as well. And beyond that I'm thinking about how do I keep doing this forever, how do I make this part of my lifestyle. That means anything that is easy, or fast, or unrealistic has to be thrown out. I knew when I was getting into this last year that to reach goals that would make me happy would take at least 2 years.

Nothing can be done well in 2 months. I think after my 2 months I had made some progress but it was mostly about finding what was working and not working for me. Try not to be frustrated and just keep at it, find what works for you, what keeps you going back and motivated. :wink:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I agree with new rules, that's where I started and still find it to be a solid program. I did strong lifts for a while and while I did see gains with those lifts I found a general decrease in functional strength and therefore wouldn't go back. If you want some feedback about new rules from some other ladies doing it here's the group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

Like someone else said, it's not just a good program, it's instructional too but theories changed over time and the author does recommend updated tweaks to the program.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    A bunch of misconceptions here. But that's ok, getting the right information and doing this well and consistently is hard work.

✦ There is no women's lifting program. There is just lifting for humans. Any women tailored programs or books are just there to ease you into what you should be doing anyway- which is lifting.

✦ It's been said many times on this site and its true: you can't out train a bad diet. You need to at least moderately control your diet. If you're bad at it now it will probably take time to adjust, correct and fix. You will have setbacks and it will be hard.

✦ And that leads to a very important point. Everything takes time, much longer than I think you've been lead to believe. You've been lied to if you thought 2 months should show results that matter. People with that great figure spend years doing it and have many setbacks along the way. So whatever you're thinking about timeframes, you need to ditch that and recalibrate. Start thinking of this in years or lifestyle changes.

I've been lifting for about 10 months, working on improving/fixing my diet for 11 months. I've made progress, and I keep making progress, and I've almost hit my 1 year goals. I made them realistic for me. But I have 2 and 3 year goals as well. And beyond that I'm thinking about how do I keep doing this forever, how do I make this part of my lifestyle. That means anything that is easy, or fast, or unrealistic has to be thrown out. I knew when I was getting into this last year that to reach goals that would make me happy would take at least 2 years.

Nothing can be done well in 2 months. I think after my 2 months I had made some progress but it was mostly about finding what was working and not working for me. Try not to be frustrated and just keep at it, find what works for you, what keeps you going back and motivated. :wink:

Good post! +1
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Good post! +1

Quoting again for emphasis.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    No one mentioned anything about cardio??? HIIT?
  • shutupandlift13
    Options

Because cardio is preferential.

Get your eating in line before you change anything about how you're training.
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    10 lbs every week is insane. Now friggin way. I add 10 lbs every month and that starting to be a struggle. I can't imagine every week. I would quit too. That's frustrating. The body cannot repair and build that fast.

Try 5/3/1. It's a little complicated, but once you build the spreadsheet properly, it's easy. You just follow it. It's simple to keep adding weight monthly as you go through the monthly progressions. It's my favorite.

If you get bored with it, I would say that you just don't like lifting. I never seem to get bored lifting.

Also, you were asking about a program for women. There is really no difference. It's the same for men and women. We have the same muscle groups. The difference is probably only in the amount of weight you can lift.

I don't suggest 5/3/1 for a novice lifter with little or no access to a trainer. She will see results with SL if she follows through on her diet. The boredom thing... well, sometimes the things that are good for us aren't always fun to do. Suck it up buttercup.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Because cardio is preferential.

Get your eating in line before you change anything about how you're training.

You specifically Asked about a training program. The literature related to a lot of these programs Includes Discussions around cardio. However what you do in this area depends on what you enjoy. Lift weights, Move your body, Measure your food, And count your calories. Your success depends on Whether or not you find a program you can stick to.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Cardio is good for you but doesn't really do much of anything to aid weight/fat loss.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Okay, well i just starting logging again today and im going into my basement gym at home this evening. I don't have money for membership or babysitter for me to get out and go to a gym. And I wanna find some light plates.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Good post! +1

Quoting again for emphasis.
    Thanks! This has been an all around informative thread.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    One that's progressive and one that you'll stick to for life. If you're not seeing some sort of results in 2 months, then your nutrition is probably off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition