Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    crazy double post
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    No one mentioned anything about cardio??? HIIT?

you didn't ask about cardio...

but do what ever cardio you like.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The best program is one you'll actually do on a regular basis. If boredom is an issue for you, I would suggest New Rules of Lifting for Women or New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. The workouts are more complicated than Stronglifts, but the selling point for me is that you start a new workout stage every 4-6 weeks, and each stage consists of alternating A & B workouts.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Okay, so the last thing id like to know is will i have enough plates to work with to allow me to progress and get good results:
    2*25lb
    4*10lb
    4*5lb
    4*2.5lb

Total 120lbs.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Okay, so the last thing id like to know is will i have enough plates to work with to allow me to progress and get good results:
    2*25lb
    4*10lb
    4*5lb
    4*2.5lb

Total 120lbs.

No. If you follow the program you'll probably be both squatting and deadlifting more than 120 pounds within a few weeks, if that.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    No one mentioned anything about cardio??? HIIT?

you didn't ask about cardio...

but do what ever cardio you like.

Yes i did.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    2*25lb
    4*10lb
    4*5lb
    4*2.5lb

Total 120lbs.

I think that is a good place to start. You could make a goal of adding 2 plates every payday, or keep your eye on Craigslist to purchase a few more plates as you progress.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    How should i progress with weights using Strong Lifts? where should i start? when should i increase and by how much for each of these exercises:

OHP 5*5
    Deads 3*5
    Squats 5*5
    Back Rows 5*5

???
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    How should i progress with weights using Strong Lifts? where should i start? when should i increase and by how much for each of these exercises:

OHP 5*5
    Deads 3*5
    Squats 5*5
    Back Rows 5*5

???

Upper body is generally 2.5-5lbs per week
    Lower body is generally 10lbs per week

Isn't there literature for Stronglifts? This should all be in there?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

OHP 5*5
    Deads 3*5
    Squats 5*5
    Back Rows 5*5

???

Strong Lifts is a free program. You'd do well to sign up for it and read the information that is emailed to you. It will explain how to progress and how many sets/reps you should be doing.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I would have suggested SL, but you said no :(

I've seen a lot of results on myself and am seeing gains at the gym all the time, which is exciting to me.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Seems to me since you don't want to buy a lot more plates then you could just up your reps on your sets to reach failure.
    Edited to add-I tried stronglifts for a week but it didn't have enough variety for me, so you may like NROLFW. It's much more varied. I've been reading about strong curves too, you may give it a look as well. I think cardio is important too. I hope you find something you like:)
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    K thanks. I'll have to check out the website again and find what im looking for. i looked before and found programs but it NEVER explained how to progress.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Seems to me since you don't want to buy a lot more plates then you could just up your reps on your sets to reach failure.

Why would i wanna reach failure? Is there something wrong with you??? Why would u post this?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Why would i wanna reach failure? Is there something wrong with you??? Why would u post this?

Failure is when you continue doing reps until you can't do any more. It's sort of the entire point of training. You typically want to stop when you think you will fail in the next 1-2 reps so you don't actually fail the rep, but "to failure" means "as many reps as you can do."
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Apparently you don't know how to take words in context. She isn't talking about you personally being a failure. It means lifting until you can't do another rep.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thanx all for clearing that up for her. What ^ they said;)
  • singlefemalelawyer
    Options
    Bump to read later. I'm gonna need a new lifting program once I am done with my trainer.
  • kiykiy79
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your experience with SL. I personally LOVE it... Started round 2 yesterday after completing 12 weeks with great results... I'm going to do 6 wks this time adding finishers and a 4th day of touch up work and because I love to lift!

I will say the results are not what many are looking for - I gained strength and leaned out quite a bit (went from a 6 to a rommy 4), but I think people are looking for a total body transformation...

After SL RD #2 - I'm going to try my hand at Crossfit OR Nia Shanks BBA.

Whatever your decison - best of luck!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Thanx all for clearing that up for her. What ^ they said;)

Oh my gosh! My apologies...... I feel so stupid. Im sorry for my ignorance.