Eating too much everyday ( eating to many calories )

Options
13»

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »

Sorry to ask, hope I’m not overstepping here, but why do people store anything in their oven? I’ve never heard this before! Is this common?

Some of us don't have enough cupboards, (very small kitchen) and need that space to store things. I only store pans, cookie sheets and racks in mine. [/]

I use the bottom drawer thingy for that stuff. The stuff I use more goes in the big part of the oven.
  • COGypsy
    Options
    peazoo1325 wrote: »
    It’s okay to eat prepackaged foods. They are just more expensive and have added calories to provide taste.

Frozen vegetables are frequently cheaper than fresh and are just vegetables—I’m the only one that adds stuff to make it taste okay. Not sure what calories would be added unless you get the sauces versions.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,608 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I believe to be truly successful we need to learn about our eating habits. What we like to eat, how much, and total calories. This is where fitness pal helps. If you are diligent about tracking calories (including weighing) you will learn quickly. From there it becomes choices to find alternate foods that are similar, reduce the quantity, or eliminate the foods altogether.

For most people starting out, this is very hard so it’s common to start buying prepackaged meals with calculated calories. This is okay as the main objective is to change your lifestyle for long term. Eventually you will see that prepackaged meals can be cooked with less calories, fats, sodium or whatever you find more important. This takes time but eventually you will have go to foods you can eat religiously and enjoy.

What happens if the foods you can eat religiously and enjoy are pre-packaged meals?

The results are in, most Americans eat over 70% of their calories from packaged foods because they enjoy them, they're cheap and abundant, and keep almost indefinitely, no refrigeration for almost all of them making them convenient as well. They also have all the nutritional information to make it easier to make smarter choices. Basically UPF have all the characteristics of the ultimate food resource and with consumption of these foods increasing, that's got to tell us, it works. j/k :)

I honestly can’t see the difference it makes if the food you eat is frozen or you suffer in the kitchen to make it. Frozen grilled chicken is still grilled chicken. Frozen broccoli is still broccoli. Frozen rice is still rice. Scratch cooking is honestly not much more than virtue signaling and not a requirement in the slightest to lose weight and maintain that weight. Or to maintain general good health.

I get that you don't want to cook and I accept that.

I suffer when I CAN'T cook. Can you accept that I love to cook and this has nothing to do with virtue signaling?

This. Plus opening a few tins and packs and mixing it together is a lot different than spending that extra few minutes to get spices and various aromatics right. Sure, I can grab a frozen chicken and veggies and warm them all up, throw a bit of spice and salt over it and eat. But actually cooking these things together gives a totally different taste sensation.

…plus the time it takes to empty the oven and find places for all the stuff I store in there...

Sorry to hijack on a triviality, but this makes my blood run cold.

I had a friend who did this who nearly burned her house down when someone who didn’t know she used her oven as a cupboard turned the oven on to preheat it.

This was the same much loved friend who, as a newlywed, secretly unplugged the stove and convinced her husband for years it didn’t work. 😂

But seriously…,stop using the oven to store stuff.

/PSA

If there's somebody else cooking in my house, there's a much bigger problem :D My dad actually did smoke out my aunt's house because he didn't know she stored her tupperware there. I learned the lesson and try to limit my storage to Pyrex and serving dishes.

Sorry to ask, hope I’m not overstepping here, but why do people store anything in their oven? I’ve never heard this before! Is this common?

It’s a big empty square box that I might use two or three times a year. Much more useful for storage!

The turn the convo has taken is so funny to me. I still have some plates and pots and stuff in my dishwasher from yeeeeeeeeeeeeears ago that I just never unloaded because it's rare I use said pots and real plates (I have a couple plastic bowls I use every night) and, for some reason, opened my oven and saw there were baking sheets or something stored in there.

I use a microwave and crockpot (and once a rice cooker) for "cooking". I don' t even know if my oven and stove work!

(I only use the bottom shelves on my cupboards because....height challenged...and the step ladder's not so steady on my kitchen floor and I have balance issues.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    It’s okay to eat prepackaged foods. They are just more expensive and have added calories to provide taste.

Too generalized. Plain frozen veggies/fruits are often cheaper than fresh, depending on type and seasonality. Plain frozen broccoli (say) has the same calories as fresh broccoli, maybe plus or minus a tiny bit as related to water content.

Sure, buying whole pre-created pre-packaged meals can be more expensive than equivalent home-made food . . . but even that isn't always true.

Label reading and price comparison are useful skills during weight/nutrition management.
    I believe to be truly successful we need to learn about our eating habits. What we like to eat, how much, and total calories. This is where fitness pal helps. If you are diligent about tracking calories (including weighing) you will learn quickly. From there it becomes choices to find alternate foods that are similar, reduce the quantity, or eliminate the foods altogether.

For most people starting out, this is very hard so it’s common to start buying prepackaged meals with calculated calories. This is okay as the main objective is to change your lifestyle for long term. Eventually you will see that prepackaged meals can be cooked with less calories, fats, sodium or whatever you find more important. This takes time but eventually you will have go to foods you can eat religiously and enjoy.

What happens if the foods you can eat religiously and enjoy are pre-packaged meals?

The results are in, most Americans eat over 70% of their calories from packaged foods because they enjoy them, they're cheap and abundant, and keep almost indefinitely, no refrigeration for almost all of them making them convenient as well. They also have all the nutritional information to make it easier to make smarter choices. Basically UPF have all the characteristics of the ultimate food resource and with consumption of these foods increasing, that's got to tell us, it works. j/k :)

I honestly can’t see the difference it makes if the food you eat is frozen or you suffer in the kitchen to make it. Frozen grilled chicken is still grilled chicken. Frozen broccoli is still broccoli. Frozen rice is still rice. Scratch cooking is honestly not much more than virtue signaling and not a requirement in the slightest to lose weight and maintain that weight. Or to maintain general good health.

I suffer when I CAN'T cook. Can you accept that I love to cook and this has nothing to do with virtue signaling?

This. Plus opening a few tins and packs and mixing it together is a lot different than spending that extra few minutes to get spices and various aromatics right. Sure, I can grab a frozen chicken and veggies and warm them all up, throw a bit of spice and salt over it and eat. But actually cooking these things together gives a totally different taste sensation.

…plus the time it takes to empty the oven and find places for all the stuff I store in there...

I had a friend who did this who nearly burned her house down when someone who didn’t know she used her oven as a cupboard turned the oven on to preheat it.

This was the same much loved friend who, as a newlywed, secretly unplugged the stove and convinced her husband for years it didn’t work. 😂

/PSA

If there's somebody else cooking in my house, there's a much bigger problem :D My dad actually did smoke out my aunt's house because he didn't know she stored her tupperware there. I learned the lesson and try to limit my storage to Pyrex and serving dishes.

It’s a big empty square box that I might use two or three times a year. Much more useful for storage!

One of my friends - a stellar and very accomplished athlete and advanced-degree biomechanical engineering scholar just for the record - had her dishwasher racks packed with boxes of malted milk balls, a massive supply of marshmallow peeps, and a few other similar things. Same concept: Useless box in a tiny kitchen, might as well use it.

Oops, that was a digression. Sorry, OP.

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 803 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

/PSA

Touché!

Also, sorry for the hijack OP!
  • nancitafitgirl
    nancitafitgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just saw a podcast from Jessie Inchauspe the author of Glucose Revolution she a biochemist and media calls her the “Suger Goddess”. She said something that really has been working for me. It’s important the order in which we eat food to reduce insulin spikes which causes overeating. So now I eat steam broccoli before all my meals and even is I eat something sugary during the meal the broccoli seams to help me not overeat.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    I just saw a podcast from Jessie Inchauspe the author of Glucose Revolution she a biochemist and media calls her the “Suger Goddess”. She said something that really has been working for me. It’s important the order in which we eat food to reduce insulin spikes which causes overeating. So now I eat steam broccoli before all my meals and even is I eat something sugary during the meal the broccoli seams to help me not overeat.

Hey, I'm always a big proponent of vegetables... so if you're adding more to your day, that's awesome.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options

/PSA

My mother doesn't believe in drying dishes and has used the oven to dry things, and people have turned on her oven without looking inside and melted plastic lids. In addition to ruining the items, this stinks to high heaven.

I had a friend turn on two ovens a few months apart without looking inside and ruin things. You think he would have started looking after the first time...

I'm the only one in my house who turns on the oven, and do store pots there*, but nothing flammable/meltable.

* this time of year when I don't use the oven. In baking season I'll find new homes for them. It's more convenient having them there ATM.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    I heard a great interview with Nadiya Jamir Hussain who did not know what an oven was for until I guess the British equivalent of Home Ec. Her mother used it for storage. She went on to win The Great British Bake Off and bake Elizabeth II's cake as part of her 90th birthday celebrations.

https://www.177milkstreet.com/radio/nadiya-hussain-baked-for-the-queen-of-england-1

"I said, ‘Mrs. Marshall, this cupboard is hot!’ And she said, ‘Oh, you silly girl, that's an oven.'" –Nadiya Hussain
  • COGypsy
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

/PSA

The turn the convo has taken is so funny to me. I still have some plates and pots and stuff in my dishwasher from yeeeeeeeeeeeeears ago that I just never unloaded because it's rare I use said pots and real plates (I have a couple plastic bowls I use every night) and, for some reason, opened my oven and saw there were baking sheets or something stored in there.

I use a microwave and crockpot (and once a rice cooker) for "cooking". I don' t even know if my oven and stove work!

(I only use the bottom shelves on my cupboards because....height challenged...and the step ladder's not so steady on my kitchen floor and I have balance issues.)

I have six big plates, but kept all 12 of the salad plates out since that’s what I eat off of most often. The other 6 plates and six bowls live in storage. I’m a little past the “service for 12” stage of life 😂
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,517 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

/PSA

I have six big plates, but kept all 12 of the salad plates out since that’s what I eat off of most often. The other 6 plates and six bowls live in storage. I’m a little past the “service for 12” stage of life 😂

I’m obsessed with a particular artist’s plates from Anthro, and didn’t realized I had so many til we downsized. Our kitchen is a fraction the size of the old one. I’ve got stacks of plates all over the house. I need to replace the ones in current rotation because they’re so scratched and chipped but I love them too much. Guess I need to find something to mosaic. But your service for 12 makes me giggle. I could service a Kiwanis luncheon.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this. New sources, new approaches, new ideas found on MFP's forums have helped me in the past. I've never heard of Jessie Inchauspe, but a quick google brought up her 5 hacks to reduce insulin spikes, which is of great interest to me. Worth spending some time to research a bit more.