Eating too much everyday ( eating to many calories )

Options
Brand new member so hoping this app helps me with my problem of eating to much and too many calories. Sometimes I try to eat healthier like fruits and vegetables for a day then I start eating non healthy again the next day. I would like to know how I can eat healthy and not take in as many calories. I would also like help losing weight mostly in stomach area.

Replies

• raiibrahimasif15
    raiibrahimasif15 Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    You should try eating more number of meals with fewer calories in each of the meals rather than 3 larger meals. Maybe try eating 5-6 meals a day, two or three hours apart, each with around 300 calories
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Brand new member so hoping this app helps me with my problem of eating to much and too many calories. Sometimes I try to eat healthier like fruits and vegetables for a day then I start eating non healthy again the next day. I would like to know how I can eat healthy and not take in as many calories. I would also like help losing weight mostly in stomach area.

I wonder if your weekly weight loss goal is too aggressive. Many new members start of trying to lose 2 pounds per week, when it's not appropriate for the amount of weight they want to lose.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

This is what can happen:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

gi8h6aepxfom.png

Are you using the MFP defaults for protein and fat and are you meeting them? This can help with satiety.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    You should try eating more number of meals with fewer calories in each of the meals rather than 3 larger meals. Maybe try eating 5-6 meals a day, two or three hours apart, each with around 300 calories

that's what i do. i guess most people wouldn't consider them meals, but more like protein-heavy snacks. it's helped me lose and and also lowered my blood sugar as an added benefit.
  • bltootell
    bltootell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try keep it simple.
    Pre tracking is a great tool, that way you can look at what your putting in your mouth before you eat and can adjust to make better choices.
    Have some meal plans in place and shop accordingly.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,945 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

The funny thing about food and nutrition is that there's not lot of upside if you get it right, if your healthy to begin with but there is a lot of downside when you get it wrong, which is evident in the population in health costs and quality of life. Most of the population is sick and the driver is the Standard American Diet. I don't know what you eat but your inference that you tried fruit and veg for a day and gave up is telling and that you might fall into the category that consumes the SAD diet. Obviously your having a hard time so I would suggest you get professional help and possibly employ a clinic that specializes in lifestyle behavior. Otherwise begin to remove some of your processed packaged foods, soft drinks, etc with a whole real food and the more that gets replaced the fewer calories are generally consumed and the weight comes off. Hoping that you make healthier decisions.Cheers
  • ReReNotMe
    ReReNotMe Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi not sure if this helps but making smaller changes over time helps make them more sustainable.

I started with limiting juice and soft drinks to meal times and keeping a water bottle with me wherever I went. I then started brushing my teeth after meals to limit snacking on sugary foods. I found healthier alternatives to my favourite foods like quick homemade pizza or low calorie ice cream instead of cutting the foods I like out completely. I've recently stopped buying high sugar snacks like chocolate so they're not in the house anymore for me to snack on. I now buy vegetables, chop them up and freeze them to limit prep time make cooking healthier easier. These changes accumulate over weeks or months so none are a big shock to the system and I've been able to keep up with them.

Also adjust your calories as you go. I started at over 2200cal/day and am now able to sustainably eat 1800cal/day and not be hungry and have enough energy for the day as well as to exercise regularly and reach new fitness goals.

There's no point in under eating and over exercising to lose 2kg/week if you feel miserable doing it. It's just gonna lead to lack of motivation, cheat days and guilt and you'll be back at square one. Small changes build up and you'll be able to lose the weight slow and steadily. Hope this helps. Good luck :)
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    ReReNotMe wrote: »
    Hi not sure if this helps but making smaller changes over time helps make them more sustainable.

I started with limiting juice and soft drinks to meal times and keeping a water bottle with me wherever I went. I then started brushing my teeth after meals to limit snacking on sugary foods. I found healthier alternatives to my favourite foods like quick homemade pizza or low calorie ice cream instead of cutting the foods I like out completely. I've recently stopped buying high sugar snacks like chocolate so they're not in the house anymore for me to snack on. I now buy vegetables, chop them up and freeze them to limit prep time make cooking healthier easier. These changes accumulate over weeks or months so none are a big shock to the system and I've been able to keep up with them.

Also adjust your calories as you go. I started at over 2200cal/day and am now able to sustainably eat 1800cal/day and not be hungry and have enough energy for the day as well as to exercise regularly and reach new fitness goals.

There's no point in under eating and over exercising to lose 2kg/week if you feel miserable doing it. It's just gonna lead to lack of motivation, cheat days and guilt and you'll be back at square one. Small changes build up and you'll be able to lose the weight slow and steadily. Hope this helps. Good luck :)

These are all great ideas. If doing all of them sounds like too much, the OP could always just pick one and add it in to their lifestyle. Then add another after they get comfortable with it. Great ideas!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut out the foods you normally eat in order to lose weight. And you don't need to eat only healthy foods to lose weight either. In fact, you could eat nothing but "healthy foods" and gain weight because it comes down to your calorie intake.

One trick I like to do is take a smaller portion of what I would normally eat and add a big side of veggies with it. For example, half the spaghetti/sauce with a huge side of steamed broccoli, or a homemade cheeseburger with a smaller patty loaded up with extra lettuce, tomato, onions, and avocado (yum!) and a side salad.

Just make sure you weigh and log everything you eat to the best of your ability (sometimes an estimation is ok, but it is eye opening when you start weighing those portions).
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    You don't need to cut out the foods you normally eat in order to lose weight. And you don't need to eat only healthy foods to lose weight either. In fact, you could eat nothing but "healthy foods" and gain weight because it comes down to your calorie intake.

One trick I like to do is take a smaller portion of what I would normally eat and add a big side of veggies with it. For example, half the spaghetti/sauce with a huge side of steamed broccoli, or a homemade cheeseburger with a smaller patty loaded up with extra lettuce, tomato, onions, and avocado (yum!) and a side salad.

Just make sure you weigh and log everything you eat to the best of your ability (sometimes an estimation is ok, but it is eye opening when you start weighing those portions).

Exactly!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I focus on what fruits and veggies I like, not what I should have. I’m more likely to stick to my goals if I like the food I am eating
  • peazoo1325
    peazoo1325 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I believe to be truly successful we need to learn about our eating habits. What we like to eat, how much, and total calories. This is where fitness pal helps. If you are diligent about tracking calories (including weighing) you will learn quickly. From there it becomes choices to find alternate foods that are similar, reduce the quantity, or eliminate the foods altogether.

For most people starting out, this is very hard so it’s common to start buying prepackaged meals with calculated calories. This is okay as the main objective is to change your lifestyle for long term. Eventually you will see that prepackaged meals can be cooked with less calories, fats, sodium or whatever you find more important. This takes time but eventually you will have go to foods you can eat religiously and enjoy.

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    peazoo1325 wrote: »
    I believe to be truly successful we need to learn about our eating habits. What we like to eat, how much, and total calories. This is where fitness pal helps. If you are diligent about tracking calories (including weighing) you will learn quickly. From there it becomes choices to find alternate foods that are similar, reduce the quantity, or eliminate the foods altogether.

For most people starting out, this is very hard so it’s common to start buying prepackaged meals with calculated calories. This is okay as the main objective is to change your lifestyle for long term. Eventually you will see that prepackaged meals can be cooked with less calories, fats, sodium or whatever you find more important. This takes time but eventually you will have go to foods you can eat religiously and enjoy.

What happens if the foods you can eat religiously and enjoy are pre-packaged meals?
  • neanderthin
    edited July 2023
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »

What happens if the foods you can eat religiously and enjoy are pre-packaged meals?

The results are in, most Americans eat over 70% of their calories from packaged foods because they enjoy them, they're cheap and abundant, and keep almost indefinitely, no refrigeration for almost all of them making them convenient as well. They also have all the nutritional information to make it easier to make smarter choices. Basically UPF have all the characteristics of the ultimate food resource and with consumption of these foods increasing, that's got to tell us, it works. j/k :)
  • neanderthin
    Options

The results are in, most Americans eat over 70% of their calories from packaged foods because they enjoy them, they're cheap and abundant, and keep almost indefinitely, no refrigeration for almost all of them making them convenient as well. They also have all the nutritional information to make it easier to make smarter choices. Basically UPF have all the characteristics of the ultimate food resource and with consumption of these foods increasing, that's got to tell us, it works. j/k :)

I honestly can’t see the difference it makes if the food you eat is frozen or you suffer in the kitchen to make it. Frozen grilled chicken is still grilled chicken. Frozen broccoli is still broccoli. Frozen rice is still rice. Scratch cooking is honestly not much more than virtue signaling and not a requirement in the slightest to lose weight and maintain that weight. Or to maintain general good health.

You selected frozen whole food, k, your right. Kinda missed my point, but not unexpected. Who wants to cook anymore anyway and lets face it it's only calories that cause weight gain, got it, thanks. Cheers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

What is your definition of unhealthy? You need more than just fruits and vegetables to eat healthfully. Fats and protein are essential to proper nutrition.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I honestly can’t see the difference it makes if the food you eat is frozen or you suffer in the kitchen to make it. Frozen grilled chicken is still grilled chicken. Frozen broccoli is still broccoli. Frozen rice is still rice. Scratch cooking is honestly not much more than virtue signaling and not a requirement in the slightest to lose weight and maintain that weight. Or to maintain general good health.

I get that you don't want to cook and I accept that.

I suffer when I CAN'T cook. Can you accept that I love to cook and this has nothing to do with virtue signaling?

This. Plus opening a few tins and packs and mixing it together is a lot different than spending that extra few minutes to get spices and various aromatics right. Sure, I can grab a frozen chicken and veggies and warm them all up, throw a bit of spice and salt over it and eat. But actually cooking these things together gives a totally different taste sensation.