Starting Working Out

Options
Today starts my first 8 week workout boot camp. I’m doing the free online challenge bucked up get shredded. They posted a pdf of an exercise routine for each day of the 8 weeks. I’m very excited about this. This will be my first time truly working out in a local gym so I’m a little excited and nervous at the same time. My goal ultimately is to burn fat, get back into a healthy bmi range, and gain and tone my muscles. If anyone has any tips for being a newbie in the gym all advice is welcomed. Feel free to send me a friend request also, it helps me feel more accountable to have people check in on my progress.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Make sure you understand correct form on all the exercises because it does ask for volume. Executing exercises incorrectly can lead to injury as well as not optimally helping you achieve what you're trying to when you perform it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Also temper your expectations for how much change can occur in 8 weeks, at least visually. Your fitness level will increase rapidly, but your mirror image may not reflect that change for a few months. Some people do, others don't, but the point is don't judge the effectiveness of a program by how much your mirror changes in only 2 months' span.
  • tvdccy2tyk
    tvdccy2tyk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated
  • ReReNotMe
    ReReNotMe Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your current levels are but I would make sure you're training short of failure. There's no point working out so hard you can't move the next day. That's a surefire way to getting demotivated and giving up. Focus on your progress rather than shortcomings and if you need to modify an exercise that's ok too. Other than that as others say just make sure you put emphasis on technique rather than pushing for bigger numbers and risking injury and you're set. Good luck and have fun! :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    @tvdccy2tyk now that you are a few days in, how is it going?